No announcement yet.

Project "Swapped"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One last project before i put this jeep on the back burner. I've had a quote for the past few months for $383 to my door for RE Extreme Duty lower long arms to go with my RE Adjustable uppers. Gonna use the rest of the 3x6x3/16 steel i have from the front bumper, and throw these on, http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...nt_p_1511.html.

After these are done, i might do some things here and there like box rockers, fab a new rear bumper, shocks, i might just throw a sye in there for shits and giggles and see if it rides any better at high speeds.
    Last edited by LittleD; 09-18-2010, 05:47 PM.
    God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Thought i'd bump this:

The past weekend i was to the point of pulling my hair out trying to fix the jeep. It died in the middle of town and sounded like the fuel pump died, pulled it to my buddies shop to pull the sender unit, and it's all in check but the fuel pressure drops till it stalls. Replaced the fuel pump, and nothing changed, turns out the ballast resistor cracked and caused the pump to not turn on. Replaced it today with a circuit breaker so when/if it gets to hot, it will shut off the pump, and then when it cools, it will reset itself and then work fine.

Took it for the test drive today and HOLY FAWK, when you get on the gas, this thing is like a bat out of hell, and almost made me shit myself when it down shifted. Now when i let up of the gas, it doesn't down shift, it goes straight to overdrive no matter how little im on the gas. And i took out the air box, replaced it with a open cone filter to help get some more air into the engine. I have to replace the water pump cause it sounds like its dragging before the rausch trip that is planned.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

So youre not making your own long arms?
        I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Originally posted by ninetysix-ex-jay View Post
          So youre not making your own long arms?
          I am, it'll be a winter project. I have the tubing and some materials for stiffners but im going to wait to get the joints and other shit.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

BUMP:

The long arms are deff a long term project at the moment, unless i get the joints and whatnot for xmass.

In the mean time, I was talking to my buddy who is swapping a aw4 into his yj along with a rubi tcase and he told me of this little trick to lock 1st gear when in 1-2. seems simple enough and it will get me the little extra umpf im looking for.
            http://jeep-xj.com/showthread.php?p=3911

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Originally posted by LittleD View Post
              BUMP:

The long arms are deff a long term project at the moment, unless i get the joints and whatnot for xmass.

In the mean time, I was talking to my buddy who is swapping a aw4 into his yj along with a rubi tcase and he told me of this little trick to lock 1st gear when in 1-2. seems simple enough and it will get me the little extra umpf im looking for.
              Its not meant to give you any extra "umpf" since your tranny automatically starts in 1st gear. Its meant to hold you in 1st gear for hill descents

Comment

Its not meant to give you any extra "umpf" since your tranny automatically starts in 1st gear. Its meant to hold you in 1st gear for hill descents
                I know, i'm aiming to be able to have a little better of a crawl rate

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

I know, i'm aiming to be able to have a little better of a crawl rate
                  What do you mean by "crawl rate"? I'm just making sure you know this will only help you not ride the brakes while going downhill

Comment

It will keep me in first no matter what correct? when im going up a hill, i won't have to worry about it shifting into second and lowering the rpm's.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

It will keep me in first no matter what correct? when im going up a hill, i won't have to worry about it shifting into second and lowering the rpm's.
                      Yes it will keep you in any gear that you were in last. It just locks the torque converter. When going up hill though the trans will shift if it needs to. If its that big of a hill it wont shift even if your bouncing off the rev limiter. Not trying to discourage you here but I don't think its all that worth it especially if you find yourself in a situation where you need to mash the gas out of a situation

Comment

Being hooked up to a switch, it should be quite easy to flip the switch, and let it shift into second, or just throw it in Drive and hammer down, this will only be used if im going up a rock face or something easy on the gas

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Being hooked up to a switch, it should be quite easy to flip the switch, and let it shift into second, or just throw it in Drive and hammer down, this will only be used if im going up a rock face or something easy on the gas
                          Have you ever had your trans shift and mess up your crawl up a rock face before?

Comment

Have you ever had your trans shift and mess up your crawl up a rock face before?
                            No but it'll take 10 min out of my un-busy day to do this, and if it doesn't do much than what ever, it was worth a shot.

From the article: "I finished puttin everything back together, hooked the battery back up and went for a test ride. First i tried it in 2WD with the trans selector in 1-2. WOOHOO it stays in 1st gear, then I stopped, flipped the switch and it drives normal, then i tried it in 4lo, OMG talk about crawling!!!!

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Do what you want but unless you crawl rock faces at 20mph you wont notice a difference. And I'm sure your drive train will enjoy the load of it not shifting when you let off the gas

Comment

BUMP:

Pretty neat mod, I would say definately worthwhile for anyone wheeling an auto!
                                1950 Willys Trail Rig
                                2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

Working...
                                X