My 1950 Willys Trail Rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1950 Willys Trail Rig

Well I've been working on it pretty steady in my new shop. It runs and drives now but there is still a little left to do. I decided to 4 Link the rear with coils and stretch it +100"WB before it sees the trail and I still have to do the exhuast and skid plates and wire the winch

Heres some pics.

"Interior"
    Seats are cloth Recaros out of a VW
    Harnesses are 5 point RJS

Radiator
    I finally found a radiator that fit... from a pre 1980 toyota landcrusier FJ40.. I wound up buying a brand new 4 core unit from radiator barn... the one in the pics was for mock up. The other cooler is a transmission cooler i am using to cool the ram assist steering. The electric fan is from a cherokee and wired for manual control or thermostic control, selectable via a 3 way toggle switch. The jeep runs pretty cool with this setup

Hyd clutch
    The Bellhousing is from a chevy truck with stock hyd clutch. I am running a jeep cj7 clutch master and slave (6/8 cly) which is nice becuase they use 1/4" inv flare fittings. the only downside is having to run the slave upside down to clear the header which is kinda close...but i made a heat shield and wrapped the slave and line in 1200 degree heat reflective tape

Engine and Fuel System
    The Engine is a 4.3 TBI fuel injected v6 from my old s10. When the s10 was my daily driver, I built this engine. Everything went to the machine shop and it runs great... has about 20k miles on it. The TBI is a simple system to wire and runs great... When I rolled my s10 it was still running upside down, I had to turn the key off. I put a new distributor in this time around because I broke the old one putting the body on myself one time.
    The fuel cell is an RCI 15 gallon aluminum
    The pump is a factory ford efi pump for pickups with dual tanks.

Rear suspension
    I am using XJ front coils, 15" travel shocks, Ballistic joints for lowers with 2" .25 wall square tube, 3/4 rod end uppers with 1.5" .25 wall DOM, and Ballistic coil retainers. I have pics of some of the stuff but who cares, all ive done with building this so far is measure and research and buy stuff

thats it for now, i havent taken pics in a while but hopefully i will this weekend
    1950 Willys Trail Rig
    2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Sick build. Can't wait for more updates!

Comment

Id upgrade that XJ fan to the newer style with more blades for even better cooling. Very nice build, i wish i had a shop and the talent you have, id never have to buy anything again, id just make it.
      Lady bugs don't like it when you paint stripes on them

2005 WK Limited 4.7 V8, Slightly Modded

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 2.8L CRD Diesel Stock

Comment

i love this build....i cant wait to see this thing run one day

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Impressive build, can't wait for more updates.
          Shane "The Bag" Carlson

2.5L TJ, 5-speed, frankenlift, and stuff.
          My "Bucket" Build
          MilitaryJeepers.com
          ‚——P--;===±--= <-
          !‚–’¯ƒ¹¶

Comment

I'm pumped to see this done, keep it up!!!!
            dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by RockReadyXJ View Post
              Id upgrade that XJ fan to the newer style with more blades for even better cooling. Very nice build, i wish i had a shop and the talent you have, id never have to buy anything again, id just make it.
              do you know what years they are found in? ill keep my eyes open. It cools nicely now but its only 40 degrees out tops

stay tuned for more projects. I'm doing my tow rig next, altho nothing to this extreme... but i cant be towing something like this with the rustbucket i have now
              1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

Originally posted by OWEN View Post
                do you know what years they are found in? ill keep my eyes open. It cools nicely now but its only 40 degrees out tops

stay tuned for more projects. I'm doing my tow rig next, altho nothing to this extreme... but i cant be towing something like this with the rustbucket i have now
                I still have that bigger electric fan. I won't be home until the 28th but you're more than welcome to it.
                1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                1999 sierra
                1967 M725 Big and Slow
                -Dan

Comment

Those fans aren't made to be a push style fan, they are a pull style correct? I know the one on my jeep is. I think you're best off going down to the auto store and getting a 16 inch fan, 14 if you have to. The fans they sell there have a reversible blade for if you want to use it push or pull, surprised the jeeps works well that way. Like you said it is only 40 degrees out. Looks great otherwise! More Pics!!!!

Comment

I wired to to be a pusher. positive to black, negetive to red and done. bench tested with a battery (watch your fingers) Its about the biggest fan I can fit, so if i go with something else it will be something that spins faster

new battery in it and it starts every time. Im probably going to start 4 linking it this week
                    1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

Ordered everything from Ballistic this week
                      Joints
                      Tube inserts
                      Jam Nuts
                      High Mis Spacers
                      Clothing

Here's a teaser

They are selling like hot cakes, 3 times stronger and about $20 less, and still made in USA

Going to run TJ rear springs (Thanks Dana)

102"WB looks nice on the graph paper

Ill throw up some pics when i start cutting
                      1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

I wish i could say ive helped a little but alls i do is sit back and watch owen do his thing haha.
                        98 Cherokee, D30/8.25 w/4.56s locked F/R -- 3 link front IRO springs rear with shackle relocation, one ton steering w/heims, hybrid cage under contruction, 33'' KM2's

Comment

Heres a spring bucket design similar to what im going to do....

The bottom is retained and the top is free to a certain point. The pics explain it best

Max droop, note the sping cant come off the guide

Works well...

Pics are from JV Fabrications "Project Red Mistress" i saw on pirate
                          1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

Originally posted by netrachamp1853 View Post
                            I wish i could say ive helped a little but alls i do is sit back and watch owen do his thing haha.
                            You go wheeling every weekend... which motives me to get it done!
                            1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

picz arent working for me

Comment

Working...
                              X