The Karma Bucket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Karma Bucket

I didn't take any pics of it till I picked up the tires, but I did before and after of the tires.
    This is basically what it looked like when I got it.

smallest jeep EVER

Problems:
    * No backseat, nor places to mount one. (need one for Kaidiyn)
    * No rear seat belts.
    * Front seats were CRAP, didn't fit in the jeep, wouldn't slide, or recline, and they had what looked like homemade mounts bolted to the floor. The entire seat would move nearly 3 inches on a turn.
    * Gages would suddenly stop working while driving.
    * In-dash speakers were crappy felt cones from what I think was an early 80's home stereo.
    * Jeep wouldn't start for no reason at times, but ran fine when it did (this problem came back with the cold weather)
    * Sony CD player that I swear was one of the first CD head units ever made. The damn thing skipped just if you had the jeep running (jeep didn't even have a AM/FM antenna)
    * many more minor things here and there

Good points:
    * It runs
    * Had less than 75k mi
    * 4wd works

Found a pair of 04' "Willys Edition" front seats at a boneyard in RI for $250 for the set. Bolted them in next day.

Got a rear seat from another junkyard for around $300 with belts and brackets, and learned alot when trying instal it (under the el-cheapo carpet in the back, there were no mounting brackets, no holes, nothing!). The previous owner had removed the mounting brackets, shaved the bolts, epoxied over them, and painted over that. Needless to say the simple installation of a rear seat, WAS NOT SIMPLE but it's in and all is well.

Went to the local junkyard and picked up 4 BFG ATs with rims (less than fifty miles on the tires) for around $400. Tossed those on.

At this point we are here:

Grabbed a set of 2" coil spacers with skyjacker hydros online for $235 altogether. I threw about 5 coats of rustolium on the shocks to delay the rot. My buddy stopped by just long enough to ruin all progress I seemed to be making at the time. I asked him if he could remove one of my rear shocks while I took care of the other. He snape'd one of the bolts, we couldn't extract it, so I had to drill it out I ended up drilling the hole too big Spent all day, and night, installing what should have been a very simple lift

It was around this time that I found

Had a CD player with an aux port installed so I could plug in my iPod, and got a free "rubber duckie" style antenna with purchase.

Removed the front "milk jugs" (bumper end caps)

Went to Tractor Supply Co and picked up 3 tow hooks and my home-brew disconnects for around $27 for everything. I then started to prep for my first EVER offroad wheeling trip.

I also picked up some Krylon Fusion Satin black and sprayed my faded gray fender flares. Great stuff!

Mabell 07/06/08

About two weeks after Operation Enduring Realness, while riding around I started to hear a rattle. I didn't really think anything of it, until I started hearing it at idle. The sound was my rear shock hitting my tailpipe. Bar-pin failiure was the reason.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the only thing causing a rattle. My muffler was falling apart, and my headers were so loose you could tighten them with your fingers.

I found some teraflex BPEs for $25. Took the jeep to Waynes Radiators in torrington to replace my exhaust with a better one, and while it was on the lift he threw in the BPEs at no extra charge. Now it's louder, but it doesn't sound too much like a honda so I don't mind

Replaced the tractor supply discos with some JKS Quicker discos, had a little difficulty removing the old links, I also ended up making some miscalculations on the placement of the retaining pins.

I picked up some wal*mart $15 lights.

Got some "found money" right after bills were paid, so I got permission to order rock-sliders. I went with shrockworks. Took a month and a half to get here, but well worth the wait!

Chaos helped with the instal

Got my stickers at the M&G, and Pete (Pedro) let me have his old XJ front springs (thanks again ). The XJ springs added about an inch to the front without any harsh side effects.

This is what it looked like After all these items were installed.

Way different from when I started!

So, it started to get colder out again, and my starting problem came back. At the same time, my radiator pissed itself at how awesome my jeep was becoming. The first replacement, also couldn't handle the awesomeness, within an hour of driving it split at the seam as well. Went back and while Chaos was fitting the next new radiator, I was cleaning ALL the grounds to see if my starting problem was a bad ground somewhere (I had no clue a jeep could have so many grounds). The radiator seems to be doing well, so far so good. The connection cleaning seemed to do the trick, but two weeks later, the problem reappeared.

Rather than chasing down the problem, I went out and got a new battery, starter, and higher amp alternator (119 instead of the 90 I had). Caleb helped with the running around, and installation of these parts. If the problem comes back, I'll know it's either the ignition, or wires.

Chaos had told me about a set of 33"s he didn't know what he was going to do with. I knew he wanted my 31"s, and decided to make a trade, but was skeptical about 33X12.5" tire on my 2.5L with D30/35, and 4:11 gears. While working on the starting issue with Caleb, I found out he was looking for 33"s, and I figured I handle his 32"s. So we set up our three way trade.

Okay, everything is caught up, for the most part. I hope to have pics up by next week with my bargain Hellas installed, and my rectangle bajas replaced with round foglights. I also got the go ahead on a Ford 8.8, so hopefully I can get to work on that soon as well

BTW: Anyone here able to do factory style wiring?
    Last edited by bucketokarma; 04-05-2010, 09:25 AM.
    Shane "The Bag" Carlson

2.5L TJ, 5-speed, frankenlift, and stuff.
    My "Bucket" Build
    MilitaryJeepers.com
    ‚——P--;===±--= <-
    !‚–’¯ƒ¹¶

The back seat this sounds like it really sucked. it's coming along though
    1991 YJ, 1 tons, locked, lots o armor, stretched, cage

Comment

I just grabbed some half-door sliding windows, they need some work, but they'll do for now (sorry, no pics yet).

I have permission to get the 8.8, but I don't know where to store/work on it, and I don't have a way to transport it from the junkyard to its destination. Anyone willing and able to help me out?

Last edited by bucketokarma; 02-03-2009, 08:20 AM.
      Shane "The Bag" Carlson

My "Bucket" Build
      MilitaryJeepers.com
      ‚——P--;===±--= <-
      !‚–’¯ƒ¹¶

Comment

Originally posted by bucketokarma View Post
        I just grabbed some half-door sliding windows, they need some work, but they'll do for now (sorry, no pics yet).

I have permission to get the 8.8, but I don't know where to store/work on it, and I don't have a way to transport it from the junkyard to its destination. Anyone willing and able to help me out?

Let me know when you want to transport it.
        -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

... well I checked out the junkyard today on my way back from eating my free Grand Slam, long story short, they no longer have the axle I was planning on getting. So, I'm looking for something $350 or less D44 or ford 8.8 with ltd-slip or selectable locker, 4.10 or 4.56 gears, disk brakes is a plus.
          Shane "The Bag" Carlson

My "Bucket" Build
          MilitaryJeepers.com
          ‚——P--;===±--= <-
          !‚–’¯ƒ¹¶

Comment

There's plenty all over the state, have you used www.car-part.com to do a junkyard search for them? Looking quickly I found like 6 or 7 for under 300 with 4.10 gears.

I bought mine complete from Webster's for $150, it was open/3.55 gears tho

Comment

Okay, new development. My exhaust rattles, chirps and whistles now. I'm told it might have something to do with the exhaust mounts being crap, and the system might be rubbing on the inside of my T-case skid, and it seems I have a cracked manifold

I also have ticking sound coming from the engine bay. I thought it was the timing, but I now think it's one of my pulleys.

New plan, since my budget isn't going to get bigger, it seems I have to give up on the axle for now and do a COMPLETE tune-up, and since I really don't have any idea what I'm doing, it looks like I'm going to bring it to a shop

I was really hoping to do some kind of axle work before leaving I need a CAPABLE jeep!
              Last edited by bucketokarma; 02-20-2009, 02:52 PM.
              Shane "The Bag" Carlson

My "Bucket" Build
              MilitaryJeepers.com
              ‚——P--;===±--= <-
              !‚–’¯ƒ¹¶

Comment

Originally posted by bucketokarma View Post
                Okay, new development. My exhaust rattles, chirps and whistles now. I'm told it might have something to do with the exhaust mounts being crap, and the system might be rubbing on the inside of my T-case skid
                mine rattles and squeaks too. check the downpipe and see if the flange that connects the downpipe to the header is cracked. mine is so i cant tighten it up very well so it goes squeaky squeak on the belly pan thing
                P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

wow that website is awesome. i never knew about that. thanks
                  2 tj's
                  3 yj's
                  2 xj's
                  i'm a jeep whore

"id walk 6 hours one way to suck a fart out of megan fox's ass"

Comment

I haven't updated this in a while...

I got new lighting, and 32x11.5 BFG AT's

I went on one run with this set up, and failed due to my glorious open/open combo So I parked it about 1/8th of the up the trail

Shane "The Bag" Carlson

My "Bucket" Build
                    MilitaryJeepers.com
                    ‚——P--;===±--= <-
                    !‚–’¯ƒ¹¶

Comment

I got my new shocks in the mail, and realized that I made a mistake with the rears. I forgot I had the BPEs for my rear upper shock mounts. This wouldn't have been a problem except that I got ones that lowered the mounting position by about an inch and a half. The new shocks are for 3" of lift, and all I had in there was a 2" coil spacer. 2" - 1" (lower mounts) = 1" of lift (according to the shocks). I had heard that Crown Victoria rear springs will give a TJ 4" of lift (4" - 1" = 3"), I figured "Why the hell not!", and picked up a set. Caleb helped with the instal.

My stock spring on the left, the Crown-Vic spring on the right:

Cutting the end of the spring so it will fit around the spring bucket:

Crown-Vic spring and new shock installed:

My front set-up with the coil spacer, XJ front springs, and new shocks:

HOLY SHIT!!! The Crown-Vic springs really lifted the shit out of my jeep!

Needless to say, this much lift in the rear without prepping for it, was STUPID on my part Now not only is my front axle 1.5" off center to the drivers side, but now my rear axle is 3" off center to the passenger side as well. My driveline angles are all kinds of fucked, and my nose now looks too low. I am, however, planning on fixing most of these issues pretty soon.

BTW:
                      Anyone have a set of XJ "Up Country" or ZJ front springs?
                      Shane "The Bag" Carlson

My "Bucket" Build
                      MilitaryJeepers.com
                      ‚——P--;===±--= <-
                      !‚–’¯ƒ¹¶

Comment

holy lift batman, how are your axles off by so much now?
                        P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                        2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                        OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

I made a T-case drop with some bolts and washers, it's not quite low enough, but it does get rid of most of the vibrations.
                          The springs settled a bit, on flat ground my nose still looks low, but it seems to have evened out a little bit more.

Before the Crown-Vic springs and new shocks:

After a couple days of letting the springs settle, with the new set-up:
                          Shane "The Bag" Carlson

My "Bucket" Build
                          MilitaryJeepers.com
                          ‚——P--;===±--= <-
                          !‚–’¯ƒ¹¶

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
                            holy lift batman, how are your axles off by so much now?
                            Need new trackbars.... I have them now, but they are just sitting here till I can instal them. I also have a P.O.R.C. SYE, new gears, locker cable, a HP D30, and 33"x12.5" Dayton Timberline M/Ts, all sitting right here, waiting for my new CV driveshaft, and new D30 Locker (The new tires are installed, but I don't have pics yet).
                            Shane "The Bag" Carlson

My "Bucket" Build
                            MilitaryJeepers.com
                            ‚——P--;===±--= <-
                            !‚–’¯ƒ¹¶

Comment

I like this build. I wish I had the sense to do something like this.
                              1950 Willys Trail Rig
                              2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

Working...
                              X