No announcement yet.

My 1950 Willys Trail Rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owen this thing looks great !!! i really like the front clip as well..... makes it look "aggressive" if you will! keep up the good work cant wait to see this thing on the trail!
    -98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
    -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
    -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
    -57 GMC Pickup
    -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

• Originally posted by SwampAss View Post
      How much is actually needed until she's on all fours and under her own power?
      Well its sitting on the tires now... I guess I am no longer a jackstands wheeler, I'll have to change my sig. Once I get the fuel cell in, I have to plumb fuel lines and re do some wiring, coolant hoses and a few other minor things ad it should be ready to run. Getting closer every day.

Originally posted by CntStpTheStnk06 View Post
      Owen this thing looks great !!! i really like the front clip as well..... makes it look "aggressive" if you will! keep up the good work cant wait to see this thing on the trail!
      Thanks, I can't wait either, this redesign has taken too long!
      1950 Willys Trail Rig
      2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

• As promised, back half pics.

I ca't really say much about it, I am happy with how it came out, and I didn't waste a lot of material. Heres the pics.

It took longer one might guess
        1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

• Fuel cells.

So before I fiddled around with adding tube to the rear, I kinda took some measurements and decided what cell to get... Wound up with this RCI 1162c, its a plastic cell in a steel can, seems a little more durable than my old aluminum one, and it is about the same height so I can still run the YJ sending unit.

Mock up pics

With the new tube that I added to the rear, now I find maybe I can fit the old cell.

With the red cell the battery would fit behind the passenger seat. With the aluminum cell, it would have to be at the rear, in the area shown, but I still would probably have room for a rear winch which I was hoping to run. With the red cell there is no room for a rear winch, unless I mount it to the axle, which would work. The red cell leaves a decent amount of room behind the drivers seat to store stuff. I also want to make a little tool storage box for uder the passenger seat. Gotta be somewhat prepared.

Opinions? I am leaning towards running the red cell, maybe you can change my mind though.
          1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

• the old cell lets you mount battery and winch comfortably right? with room to spare under pass seat?

Why not make some form of "box" or something that can fit above the battery and cell?

Mounting the spare back there too?
            2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
            MK2 Jetta > M3
            Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

• For cell choice, i'd say what kind of wheeling are you doing more of???

For trailriding, rock crawling, even rcrocs style competeing the smaller aluminum cell seems like it would be fine. And that style of wheeling warrants the suck down winch. So to me it seems like that would be the way to go. Did you ever have issues with running out of fuel before??

I'd say use the red one if you plan on using it for more of a racing kind of format, where you need to be able to hold more fuel.

Looks good though man glad to see someone has some motivation lol.
              No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
              Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

• Originally posted by SwampAss View Post
                the old cell lets you mount battery and winch comfortably right? with room to spare under pass seat?

Why not make some form of "box" or something that can fit above the battery and cell?

Mounting the spare back there too?

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
                For cell choice, i'd say what kind of wheeling are you doing more of???

For trailriding, rock crawling, even rcrocs style competeing the smaller aluminum cell seems like it would be fine. And that style of wheeling warrants the suck down winch. So to me it seems like that would be the way to go. Did you ever have issues with running out of fuel before??

I'd say use the red one if you plan on using it for more of a racing kind of format, where you need to be able to hold more fuel.

Looks good though man glad to see someone has some motivation lol.
                For one, believe it or not, both cells are 16 gallon.

The old fuel cell worked awesome, I know some of you have seen the jeep running on its side for long periods of time. The only problem is it cracked, and I repaired it a couple of times, but when I removed it I think it was leaking again.

Really wanted to run a rear winch for suck down and skidding logs on the property. I figured with the red cell, I would make a platform on the rear axle like I did for the ram in the front and mount a winch there.

I have not put much thought into the spare. With the bead locks, I am pretty confident I can limp back to my tow rig on a flat tire to change it. When I first built the jeep, I had a spare tire mount but always left the spare in my truck or home, to save on weight and gain visibility.

I thought about it today some more, I probably will run my old cell (provided I can fix the leak). I already have a potetial buyer for the red one. Having room in the corners behind the seats doesn't do much good for storage if I get a real offroad seat that doesn't flip forward; I would rather have the space at the back. Not to mention, today I got a new issue of Peterson's featuring Jesse Haines' Willys buggies and I got a couple new ideas, one of which involves cutting all of the tube from the main hoop forward out of the jeep and re-doing it, which could net me more space to mount the battery somewhere under the passenger seat or close by. Bottom line, I should have made the back 4 inches longer and things would have been easier

I saw this on Facebook a while back, I am friends with Artec. Probably will go with this mount.

Also ordered my cutting brakes frame SDHQ they will be in next week
                1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

• this build makes me
                  1998 Jetta GLX VR6 Raceland Optimo coilovers, c2 chip, CAI, straightpipe to magnaflow muffler, e-codes, billet alum. crackpipe. 42 draft designs SAI blockoff.

Comment

• Been a while, I have been super busy, had 3 or 4 days off in April that was about it. Still tried to get a little accomplished

More cutting

I added these rockers, they are tied into the frame roll cage tie ins

Mounted my old sliders

New front part of the roll cage

Fuel cell mount

Rear transfer case mount

Jamar steering brakes... still need install but they look nice

Should I buy new seats? I need ones that are only 20" wide (or less)
                    1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

• Looks great Owen, I would try and holdout on the seats till you get a little further along on this build as I'm sure there will be other things that may take priority over those but... the simple answer is yes..

Comment

Working...
                      X