Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Broncos are better than 1

Comment

• i wish i lived closer to you, id come over and give you a hand with this monstrosity.
      Watch your backhoe, I'm the John Deere man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Customjob View Post
        Originally posted by Trailer Ray View Post
        i wish i lived closer to you, id come over and give you a hand with this monstrosity.
        lol thanks, I need motivation sometimes, my job beats the hell out of me a lot of days especially the long ones where I dont get more then 2 hours of sleep then go in for 14... I say I am going to go out and work on it but then the second I sit down, I fall asleep, it is kind of annoying.

Today I got some stuff done. I am going to post an update later or tomorrow.
        1950 Willys Trail Rig
        2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

• Originally posted by OWEN View Post
          lol thanks, I need motivation sometimes, my job beats the hell out of me a lot of days especially the long ones where I dont get more then 2 hours of sleep then go in for 14... I say I am going to go out and work on it but then the second I sit down, I fall asleep, it is kind of annoying.

Today I got some stuff done. I am going to post an update later or tomorrow.
          i know how that is. ive got my eye on this build for sure
          Watch your backhoe, I'm the John Deere man.

Comment

• So I started a build on Pirate, I was looking at it and realized this one was one update behind...

Here goes;

Miller TIG!

Clutch Parts

Teardown engine and remove old trans

420 with STaK, I had to modify the top cover as shown to clear the bellhousing ribs

Had to clearance the frame

Set the approximate new ride height, with the axle set at the approx clearance it would have with the new tires aired down slightly

Front of the frame fell off

1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

• I ran into the first major stumbling block

The ride height that I picked seems great except if there is more than 1" uptravel the driveshaft will hit the slave cylinder mount... I have come up with a few solutions and open to other ones. One idea was to look at internal slave cylinders, and eliminate the mount... I am not sure what is availible. Another idea was to do a 2 piece drive shaft, although, I do not think I have a long enough driveshaft to pull it off. My other idea and the one I am favoring the most is go back to full with axles and use a 85-92 Ford high pinion front housing in which the pinion is offset 3.5" more the to drivers side. It will also add stability and the wider wheel mount surfaces will allow more clearance from the tires when turning to the lower front links. I have a couple of leads on front 60s and in the rear I will just switch to SRW hubs.

1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

• Originally posted by OWEN View Post
                I ran into the first major stumbling block

The ride height that I picked seems great except if there is more than 1" uptravel the driveshaft will hit the slave cylinder mount... I have come up with a few solutions and open to other ones.
                Hard to tell in the pictures, would it hit the clutch fork if there was no slave bracket? If not you could possibly run a pull type slave cylinder and put it rear of the clutch fork. Just an idea.

Also would the shaft clear the oil filter?
                2 Broncos are better than 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Customjob View Post
                  Hard to tell in the pictures, would it hit the clutch fork if there was no slave bracket? If not you could possibly run a pull type slave cylinder and put it rear of the clutch fork. Just an idea.

Also would the shaft clear the oil filter?
                  I was thinking of the internal type which is replaces the throwout bearing... so no clutch fork or slave out there. Don't really know what is availible though, I am more sold one full widths with a 85-92 Ford front. It will clear the oil filter, although that can be easily relocated as well.
                  1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

• Dunno if this will help summit has a few "universal" internal slaves
                    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HRE-82870/?rtype=10

got the link from here
                    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/archi.../t-389704.html

Or full widths. Would it still hit if 3.5 inches over or would it clear completely?
                    Last edited by Customjob; 02-21-2011, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=OWEN;239530]

By the way that shifter looks sweet!!
                      Good luck man.

Comment

• what width were your previous axles? I was under the impression they were already full widths
                        1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                        1999 sierra
                        1967 M725 Big and Slow
                        -Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by wannabejeep View Post
                          what width were your previous axles? I was under the impression they were already full widths
                          not quite.. a bit narrower! The progress is great Owen.. I know you have alot going on.
                          Last edited by clean4drxj; 02-22-2011, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wannabejeep View Post
                            what width were your previous axles? I was under the impression they were already full widths
                            Nope, the rear is a 14 bolt with Cab and Chassis style hubs its about a 63" WMS, the front is cut 4.5" on the long side making it about 65"WMS. If I go to a 85-92 style Ford front 60 it will move the pinion about 5 inches to the driver side, should be plenty of clearance. In the rear I will go back to SRW hubs, I will just have to get different spacers for the (or brackets) for the calipers
                            1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

• ahh gotcha sounds like a good plan.
                              1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                              1999 sierra
                              1967 M725 Big and Slow
                              -Dan

Comment

• Lookin good man, I'll hafta come up and check it out in person once I get moved into my house.
                                98 Cherokee, D30/8.25 w/4.56s locked F/R -- 3 link front IRO springs rear with shackle relocation, one ton steering w/heims, hybrid cage under contruction, 33'' KM2's

Comment

Working...
                                X