No announcement yet.

Grundle Jeep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my shocks will be as far against the frame rail as possible. im not sure if i want to run them straight up and down, or do the inverted "V"

im going to run a square stock crossmember in the rear for an upper shock mount (i cut out my old one). and on the axle im just going to weld a bolt sticking out.

any input on the inverted "V" shock setup?
    "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

• idk what inverted V is, but your shocks should be as straight up and down as possible.

Comment

• I want to set my shocks up like this so i can clear in inside of the frame rail. dont really want to put anymore holes in my frame behind my coil bucket

"when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

• you want to triangulate so they're more effective?

Comment

• Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
            you want to triangulate so they're more effective?

dunno, i know that you can run a longer shock with it set up like that. i wonder how it would affect shock performance

Comment

• the more the angle, the less effective

Comment

• Originally posted by XJLI View Post
                the more the angle, the less effective
                not planning to pre-run my jeep, but i do like the occasional 2wd logging road bomb..... we'll see. i just want to run the longest shock i can... under the tub, inside the frame rails

Comment

• how that picture is is perfectly fine. xjs come stock with similar or more angle than that even
                  - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                  or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                  Originally posted by DizzDizz
                  aliens probed my husband

Comment

• do it up, worst case is you have to move the bolt location

Comment

• Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                      how that picture is is perfectly fine. xjs come stock with similar or more angle than that even
                      leaf vs. coil

yota dudes do this with leafs all the time. I thought i remembered its was a no no with coils

Comment

• Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
                        leaf vs. coil

yota dudes do this with leafs all the time. I thought i remembered its was a no no with coils
                        all a little angle will do is take away some dampening as the "full potential" of the shock will not be used, as the shock is traveling less a distance than the suspension is.. as long as you arent getting ridiculous with mounting angles i dont forsee there being an issue.

do what ya can to get it close, but dont lose sleep over it

- Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                        or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                        Originally posted by DizzDizz
                        aliens probed my husband

Comment

• Originally posted by XJLI View Post
                          idk what inverted V is, but your shocks should be as straight up and down as possible.
                          For low speed crawling, that isn't exactly true.

For example, when the left side is completely compressed and the right side is fully extended, the shock will "fold" underneath the body. If weight transfer were to happen suddenly, this isn't as stable as if the right side shock was completely vertical.

Unless you are doing high speed stuff or racing, you want your shocks to angle inwards at the top very slightly.

Comment

• Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                            wow, those are incredibly in-board
                            by april 10th they won't be
                            1950 Willys Trail Rig
                            2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

• just posting this up over here too

my arms are in good shape so this is what im doing. due to time constraints right now (i want to wheel it in April) im going to leave the front AS IS.
                              I played with the link calculator last night and i get better numbers if i lengthen my arms sooo

the rear:

new frame link mounts:

they tuck the lower link mount up higher so they wont get bashed, and have adjustable upper link mount

new axle end lower links, 10 degree offset to match frame brackets

going to run Johnny Joints at all ends of my links (not just 2 on the lowers)

make longer arms outs square stock and some of these:

hope it works out good

Comment

• Originally posted by Even View Post
                                For low speed crawling, that isn't exactly true.

For example, when the left side is completely compressed and the right side is fully extended, the shock will "fold" underneath the body. If weight transfer were to happen suddenly, this isn't as stable as if the right side shock was completely vertical.

Unless you are doing high speed stuff or racing, you want your shocks to angle inwards at the top very slightly.
                                look at you being all smart like

Comment

Working...
                                X