Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Hurricane Irene Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lawn Guyland
    replied
    no power at my house still. work has power. of course.

    Leave a comment:


  • kracker
    replied
    wow....Chicks is done,huh? that place has been there forever....RIP

    Leave a comment:


  • Nick
    replied
    Still no power at day break, some speculation that it could take several days to get around to my street.

    Had to report to work at normal time, woo

    Leave a comment:


  • Even
    replied
    Just got power back, although I actually enjoyed it. I'm gonna keep drinking watching the big lebowski.

    Leave a comment:


  • ninetysix-ex-jay
    replied
    I still have pics on my camera. I'll put those up tomorrow

    Leave a comment:


  • ninetysix-ex-jay
    replied
    So West Haven and Milford got hit really hard. Eileen and I went out around 10am and stared driving around to see what we could find. Here are some of the pics of what we found:

    This is the end of my street. The waves were coming across the street carrying huge amounts of sand with it. You couldn't cross the street let alone drive on it.


    One of many downed trees




    At normal high tide, the water is about 50 feet from the road. Here its almost over the road. Later, the slab of concrete holding the bench up was falling and over 1 foot of the sand was gone.


    To the right of the pic is the ocean. The sea pushed its way through the parking lot and across the street about 300 yards from where it is normally. Even crossing the road here the water was at the bottom of my rims


    The pier is under water. This lady was screaming because the spray hurt so bad.


    If anyone has been to West Haven, this is behind Chicks Drive In. Chicks, which is a West Haven icon, is basically destroyed. Here, over 600 yards from the ocean, there was 6 feet of water. Chicks is still partially under water


    Same spot but a car thats almost submerged and a guy in a boat in the distance


    Same spot again. These people are standing or treading water, I couldn't tell


    Down the street from my house after the water subsided


    Chicks is one the left, most of the board walk here is gone.


    The board walk closer to me. I went here at high tide and it was completely underwater

    Leave a comment:


  • Lawn Guyland
    replied
    Lost power around 7 at my house...unsure when we're gonna get it back

    Leave a comment:


  • grundlepunch
    replied
    power lines down all over my town, tree down all around my house. i got lucky nothing in my yard

    Leave a comment:


  • ninetysix-ex-jay
    replied
    I'll post pics in a bit from the beach which is real fucked. Other then that I have a tree that's halfway uprooted in my yard

    Leave a comment:


  • HeavyMetal
    replied
    no power at my place, currently leeching mcdonalds wi-fi in my xj with my field laptop

    Leave a comment:


  • Riot
    replied
    Originally posted by Nick View Post
    In some isolated local areas maybe you're right. But as far as widescale regional effects go I'd say this storm was rather severe. The amount of tree damage in my town surpasses any regular summer thunderstorm
    No doubt, I was just looking through all of Maru's pictures. West Haven got demolished... A weird warm fuzzy feeling inside ensued as I clicked from picture to picture.

    I guess I'm lucky, or unlucky depending on what you were looking for in the storm.
    All in all, I'll take a boring day trapped in the house, than a destructive storm that would cause costly repairs. Too scared to take the little saturn out to check out the damage first hand though.

    Leave a comment:


  • Even
    replied
    Just lost power now

    Leave a comment:


  • Bigbike
    replied
    Power just came back on, now real damadge at my house

    Leave a comment:


  • Nick
    replied
    Originally posted by Riot View Post
    Well...


    It was no worse than a regular storm...In fact, I think some thunderstorms have been far worse. Never lost power, nothing flooded, looks like autumn because there are a few leaves in the yard/street.

    Overall excitement rating: 1 of 5.
    In some isolated local areas maybe you're right. But as far as widescale regional effects go I'd say this storm was rather severe. The amount of tree damage in my town surpasses any regular summer thunderstorm

    Leave a comment:


  • Hydra
    replied
    I had a tree turn our treehouse into a ground house, and my kuwait-ish driveway is now the full blown Gaza Strijp.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X