No announcement yet.

JK Towing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had one for a few weeks back at the beginning of the month and I have to say there is 100% no way you are towing a Jeep with that 3.6L V6. In the wrong gear it even has trouble pulling itself up steep grades. Even if you supercharge it you will only get into the sketchy towing area. The only way I would say you could tow a rig on a trailer would be with a 360 hemi swap. As for braking the brakes on the JK itself are pretty damn good and I would certainly trust them to stop it even with a trailer, but trailer brakes would be better. Also the best package you can get for it is the "max tow package" but that is only a class 2 package, fine for some boats and atv's and such but certainly not enough for 6000+ lbs of Jeep and trailer.
    Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
    93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
    Eric

Comment

Mine has a hard enough time towing 2 jet skis. Which with trailer is around 2000 lbs. Mine is a 3.8l but still the 3.6 only makes 25 more ft lbs of torque

Comment

You could always use a tow dolly, that way there you could get your XJ home one way or the other. Wether its towing it forward or reverse. That way there you could quit baby'in the xj and really hammer down. Im just messin lol.

Comment

Why don't you buy this JK?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1039602

or this one?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1036401
          99 Dub Ya Jay

My Adventures Thread
          http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15148

Comment

Those are too built id be way to dangerous

Originally posted by Schickos881 View Post
            You could always use a tow dolly, that way there you could get your XJ home one way or the other. Wether its towing it forward or reverse. That way there you could quit baby'in the xj and really hammer down. Im just messin lol.
            once the 44's are under it ill stop babying it
            2000 xj 4.5 clayton longarms with wontons with a touch of
            97' zj
            2012 surbra imperza DD
            im a motivation machine like the hammer and sickle in communism

Comment

Originally posted by ninetysix-ex-jay View Post
              Overcoming a static load is a HUGE amount of work especially a car and trailer. Mine and my jeep is around 6000lbs which is double the jk capacity. Honestly I would feel sketchy towing it with my dads 1500 sierra

Brakes are more important than anything when towing. Then cooling. Then power. I've towed with a lot of different vehicles. You'd be surprised what tows well and what tows like shit.

Comment

Originally posted by DrThunder View Post
                Brakes are more important than anything when towing. Then cooling. Then power. I've towed with a lot of different vehicles. You'd be surprised what tows well and what tows like shit.
                I would still be worried about cooking the trans. But i see what your saying with stopping quick in an emergency
                I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Originally posted by DrThunder View Post
                  This guy knows!

Comment

Working...
                  X