Clear All

• BUMPERS

#becauseJoeNitro

simple and effective. i like it.
    2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
    MK2 Jetta > M3
    Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

why do you have tow hooks and d ring tabs on top of each other? why not just take one or the other off?
      94 xj 4.0L, AW4, 242
      3" rusty's lift, 33x12.5 bfg km2's, custom front bumper

Comment

what do you plan on doing to beef them up?

Comment

What are you going to do to the front so it actually resembles a bumper rather then just a series of recovery points bolted to the front of your jeep?
          sigpic
          Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

id tie them in a little better
            1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
            2001 wj tbd
            1974 5 ton

Comment

just because everyones a critic, including me. i'm not a fan of the front, huge gap between the header and doesn't protect the front crossmember.

and i would never recover from that rear bumper. get some nutstrips in yo rails and run something along the bottom of the frame
              www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

I'll be another to say I wouldn't trust those welded tabs on the bumpers. They aren't very strong just butt-welded like you did.

But, to throw some helpful advice in here, when you are welding you should put the ground closer to where you're laying the bead. You'll get much better penetration. It's hard to tell with how dark my monitor is, but it doesn't look like you cleaned the rust off very well either.
                Last edited by Even; 04-04-2010, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Even View Post
                  I'll be another to say I wouldn't trust those welded tabs on the bumpers.

But, to throw some helpful advice in here, when you are welding you should put the ground closer to where you're laying the bead. You'll get much better penetration. It's hard to tell with how dark my monitor is, but it doesn't look like you cleaned the rust off very well either.
                  Agreed the cleaner the better.....
                  89XJ Pioneer Edition 3.5" 33s ravines 4:10s 8.8- parted but not forgotten
                  95XJ tons 3 link 36s 5:38s
                  97 F-250HD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
                  If Parts Ain't Flyin' you Ain't Tryin'

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

i trust what sam says....because that man knows how to make a fine bumper
                    I once had a 93 XJ, 4.5" o' lift, 33" TSL Super Swampers, 8.25 rear Detroit locked. 2,000 Lb Steering. Custom rockers, Sam's old Bumpah. Cherry Bomb BITCH. SOLD

Fight Team

Official HMC Girlie

Comment

The first thing I do with any welding project is to put on a long sleeve shirt!

How come you didnt extend the front bumper to sides of the vehicle?
                      1950 Willys Trail Rig
                      2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by jeepbogger4x4 View Post
                        why do you have tow hooks and d ring tabs on top of each other? why not just take one or the other off?
                        the tow hooks are coming off.

Originally posted by crosbike View Post
                        what do you plan on doing to beef them up?
                        nothing really. im rather confident in there strength the way i have them tied in.

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
                        What are you going to do to the front so it actually resembles a bumper rather then just a series of recovery points bolted to the front of your jeep?
                        im going to add sides to it that wrap around under the lights and around under the fender, like most bumpers eventually....

Originally posted by raze1287 View Post
                        id tie them in a little better
                        the front is tied in exactly how my old winch bumper was. the rear has nut strips in the frame thats bolted threw where the hitch would mount and is welded to the underside of the bumper....

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
                        i would never recover from that rear bumper. get some nutstrips in yo rails and run something along the bottom of the frame
                        i already did this just ran out of energy and day light to get them all on in the same day

Originally posted by Even View Post
                        I'll be another to say I wouldn't trust those welded tabs on the bumpers. They aren't very strong just butt-welded like you did.

very true good point thnkx. i have pieces that im going to reinforce the d ring tabs with "lateral supports" if you will...

Originally posted by OWEN View Post
                        The first thing I do with any welding project is to put on a long sleeve shirt!

How come you didnt extend the front bumper to sides of the vehicle?
                        the pice i baught was exactly long enough to make what you see, basically the only reason it doesnt got all the way across the front.
                        #becauseJoeNitro

Comment

So your old bumper only held onto the front end with 3 bolts on each side??

Comment

Originally posted by crosbike View Post
                            So your old bumper only held onto the front end with 3 bolts on each side??
                            the old bumper had 4 on pass side and 4 on driver. i have 3 on pass side and 4 on driver 2 of which go threw to the steering box. my old bumper also had a winch this one does not.
                            #becauseJoeNitro

Comment

you ever think of washing that jeep joe?

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Working...
                              X