BUMPERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoeNitro View Post
    my welder only goes to 90amp. so what you see is what you get. i feel as though unless im going to hang my jeep by the bumpers what i have is going to work just fine. i appreciate your imputs... thanks
    I understand the "work with what you can" mentality, because I have to do the same on plenty of shit I make myself.

But honestly, I personally wouldn't trust making recovery points with a welder that small. It's one thing making skids and armor, but when you start building things that can possibly turn into projectiles.....well you get where I'm going with this.

Comment

hey good job ...the best part of building things is learning how you could of done them better either after they are done or after they break. but the only way to learn whats gonna work good is to try it. but i would definetly not cut that rib plate, it looks dinky and small maybe even useless but it actually gives it alot of support and anti unibody twist..but the bumper should support it in the same manner since its solid, but try to get them as tight fit as possible, and you could even weld them to that but that makes the bumper unremovable in the future
      88 manche-96 4.0 OBDII 5in 35's-new bumper..parked
      ..............back under construction...
      96 2door donor....
      94 yj 4.0 5 sp .... dd only mods no track or sway bars

Comment

yeah aggreed though, you need more amps to weld thicker steel like that or a good stick welder the metal should be blue and sweet looking around the welds
        88 manche-96 4.0 OBDII 5in 35's-new bumper..parked
        ..............back under construction...
        96 2door donor....
        94 yj 4.0 5 sp .... dd only mods no track or sway bars

Comment

I prefer my stuff not be held together with Pigeon Shit
          HOONIGAN FOR LIFE
          OLD 4X4'S NEVER DIE!!!!!

Comment

my welder only goes to 90amp. so what you see is what you get. i feel as though unless im going to hang my jeep by the bumpers what i have is going to work just fine. i appreciate your imputs... thanks
            90 amps is more then enough for that thickness. Turn down your wire speed and slow down your stinger movement. Really lay the bead into the metal not on it. If the bead is forcing you to move faster then you want to slow your wire speed. Don't let it control how fast you move. Your stinger angle might be a little to close to the horizontal too causing you to "blow" the weld away
            I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

hanging your jeep by the bumpers puts much less stress on it than a recovery strap being stretched and unloading when you are stuck.

i have done my share of ghetto fab

but if i dont like how it came out i redo it.
              www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Gonna second pretty much everything

multiple passes will make those welds a bit stronger, or you could have a buddy with something bigger torch em home after you tack it together
                dirty30

Comment

recovering a jeep actually is more force than hanging a jeep by its bumper, just puttin that out there.

edit: didnt even see it was on page 3, someone else beat me, haha
                  - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                  or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                  Originally posted by DizzDizz
                  aliens probed my husband

Comment

My Welder goes to 11.
                    sigpic
                    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
                      My Welder goes to 11.
                      Can't you just make 10 louder? Hahaha
                      I drive a Datsun

Comment

Originally posted by Burton58 View Post
                        Can't you just make 10 louder? Hahaha
                        But...... this welder goes to ELEVUN
                        dirty30

Comment

If you don't think you can get enough heat pumping out of your welder you can V-notch the piece to get better penetration and do multiple passes. MAKE 100% NO BULLSHIT SURE YOU GET ALL OF THE SLAG OFF BEFORE MAKING A SECOND PASS. Otherwise, you will get an air gap in your weld and potentially making it weaker.

A second think you can do is heat the metal with a torch before you weld it.
                          I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

90 amps on 110 with flux core is not enough to flat weld on 1/4". everyone is trying to be nice here, but this is more of a safety thing now.

push the bead, don't pull it, it makes it hotter and gets you better penetration. also turn the wire speed down and the amperage all the way up, this way you can develop more of a pool and move slower across the surface.

ohhh and welds should not look like that. see the holes = bad.

I know some people won't speak up cause they don't wanna hurt anyones feelings here, and i don't mean this personal joe, i really don't.

most of those welds are god awful and just looking at them, there is no way they are strong at any point. Theres a difference between working with what you got, and doing a hack-ass job.

I don't know if you were ever taught proper techniques, but come by my house one day and i'll show you what you need to know. You can even borrow one of my welding textbooks. I'm not trying to being a dick here, but i used to teach Stick and MIG welding to help my shop teacher out cause the classes got too big my senior and junior year.
                            No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                            Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Sounds like some sound advice
                              - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                              or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                              Originally posted by DizzDizz
                              aliens probed my husband

Comment

More heat less speed as every one else is saying. I would personally laugh at you if you asked me to pull you out with that bumper. You are on the right path. Make V notches like Jon said and preheat. Also looks like you need to do a better job of prepping your surfaces before you weld

There is more strain put on the recovery points when being winched out since that can double the weight put on it. Since you are fighting what has you held up
                                Last edited by Magilla; 04-28-2010, 04:02 PM.
                                1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                                2001 wj tbd
                                1974 5 ton

Comment

Working...
                                X