Mikes Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mikes Build

Its been a long time coming,got busy with life and shit, but I need to get moving on my build. My plan is to spend the next 2 weeks researching everything I need, the next 2 trying to buy it all, and that will give me about a month and a half to have everything shipped to my house in Connecticut. I return from japan mid to late October and have 20 days off. I hope to get the jeep built in these 20 days, and in good enough driving condition to make it back to Virginia. I then have 10 days off in November around thanksgiving and will finish any other odds and ends. The reason im doing this build in CT is because, I have a garage full of tools and a lift and knowledge in CT , people who can weld and gear axles ( corey and justin and my neighbor ) .

Enough talk, on to the build plans:

Front Axle: Waggy 44. 5.13s, Detroit alloy inner and outers, Longfield cryo-treated u-joints, brand new brakes, balljoints, warn selectable hubs, beefy tie rod with 3/4" hiem joints, passenger side flat top knuckle with high steer arm, beefy Drag link large Chevy tie rods.

The axle is basically complete ( see : 1400 mile d44 ). Previous owner torched the brackets off but it looks like shit, gotta grind the rest of the shit off, prime and paint it.

TNT Truss $484from TNT Customs

So nothing to worry about as far as parts/prices ill need. I think ill need a one ton reamer for my pit man arm.

Oh and I already have 35x12.50R15 MTZ's at home waiting for me

Rear Axle J10 d44 I picked up from sam for 100 bucks. Completely bare axle, minus some beefy ass moser shafts i got with the housing.

Gonna start dropping links and prices, let me know if i am missing something or you know where i could get it cheaper.

5.13 Gears $159 from complete offroad

Gear Install kit $109from complete offroad . Question I have with this is it says its for 30 spline axles. Mine are 33 spline, does this matter or is a mute point. I didnt find an install kit for 33 spline on complete offroad.

1310 YOKE W/U BOLTS, PINION NUT AND SEAL, U-JOINT
    $74 from complete offroad

should i go with the 1310 yoke that comes with this kit or a 1330 yoke ?

Ruff stuff diff cover $100from Ruffstuff

can this be had any cheaper elsewhere? Pirate maybe?

Disc brake conversion and everything I need ~100 dollars from autoparts stores and internet.

Detroit 33 spline locker $560 shippedfrom various vendors on pirate, is ~550 the price im going to be paying or can I get one cheaper?

Suspension

Already own
    RE 4.5" Coils
    Re 3.5" Leafs and 1" shackle

Need to buy

TNT Y Link ~849dollars from TNT Customs

TNT Trac bar system $269from TNT Customs

Bilstein 5150 x4 $400from Summit racing
    Any reason i should not get these, everyone says they are good, they will ride good on the road and my jeep will see many a many trips to from CT-PA-VA. Cheapest ive really found was 99 per shock. How much travel should i get for 4.5" of lift, dont want to be limited by the shock flex wise. Also, those insane deals on the edelbrock shocks, that still around or was it a one time deal?

People with similar setups lift wise, have you found a need to have limiting straps, will I need them or should I just hold off?

Also, I have absolutely no idea what I need to do as far as bumpstops front and rear. My last jeep had no bump stopping, obviously something I will need on this one.

Other shit

PORC SYE $188from PORC

Not sure what im doing for a rear shaft, my jeeps a 5 speed so I dont think ill be able to use a front XJ shaft, but a front TJ shaft is hella long, I need to find some lengths, dont really feel like getting a completely new rear driveshaft made up. (you all know my luck with driveshafts)

Gas Skid $250from Kilby

Anyone know of a cheaper gas skid, or is this the cheapest?

Already have rocker protection, custom built by Dave.

Looking at rear quarter armor, either the total fab shit Will has, or really really really want the THOR quarter guards, like the integrated lighting

No idea what I want for a rear bumper, really something simple probably. No swing out tire carrier, just a plain bumper, Do not like JCRs bumpers, ideas?

Also, still havent decided on a front bumper. I really like the TNT bumper hawk has, might get that but its 600 dollars and I could do without a 600 dollar bumper , but im pretty sure I want a winch bumper. Sorta like Genos JCR winch bumper, any ideas anyone ?

Eaton beadlock wheels (x5) $865 shipped from NTW Online

any cheaper solutions for beadlocks? I could be stingy and only get 4, but i think id be safer just getting 5.

Other stuff ill do

Gonna want Hyrdo assist steering, doesnt look too expensive or complicated, probably will spend 300 ish dollars on it.

My AC is shot to hell, probably will do OBA and mount a tank in the cargo area.

Anything obvious that I am missing, i am sure little odds and ends will pop up, still need to be doing a bunch of research on some other shit, but thats basically the build. Ill probably be a bitch out and be cheap and skimp on bumpers and armor for now , and save up and buy later. How i spend my money the rest of the time in japan will be the deciding factor, but im already looking at a pretty expensive build.

Comments/Tips/Suggestions/Ideas/Criticism?

I just added up all my pricest listed in green, holy shit 4500 dollars. gonna have to cut some costs somewhere, god damn.

I can recoup some of my costs by selling my front and rear axles, and my suspension.
    Last edited by Mike; 03-03-2010, 11:01 PM.

sounds like a damn solid build, good luck and cant wait to go wheelin with yeah
    "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

get the 10" travel bilstein 5150s for your lift, 'tis what i run and you will have the same setup as me
      - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
      or am asians pants not a read end lol.
      Originally posted by DizzDizz
      aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
        get the 10" travel bilstein 5150s for your lift, 'tis what i run and you will have the same setup as me
        you want everyone to be justtttttt like you, dontcha
        mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
        2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
        and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

the gears dont care what spline shaft you have, its just the locker.
          "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

you can get a $10 discount ordering the ruffstuff cover through pirate i believe

pretty sweet sounding build

Comment

You can use a ZJ front Shaft for the rear for you SYE. I think its a 4.0 shaft.
              -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                or be a man and get 7100s. as far as limiting straps go.. yea, theyre good to have.. but youre not gonna be killing the shocks much just hanging an axle. if you were jumping and forcing them down hard, yea get them.

for bumps, get these out back:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Suspension-Performance-Polyurethane-Competition/dp/B000CN5GRM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1248829540&sr= 8-1[/ame]
                (they is cheapest on amazon oddly enough)

for fronts, do prothanes or hockey pucks, or be a man and get air bumps.

for alternatives to JCR, check out:

http://www.c-rok.com/Rearbumper.html
                I always liked that design..

RigidCo- awesome shit.
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/rigid/
                http://www.rigidco.com/

Protofab.. they have lots of cool bumpaz.
                http://www.protofab4x4.com/products.php?ID=05

Comment

i looove me some c-rok rear bumper. wish i could afford it. sounds good mike
                  P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                  2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                  OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

might be holding off initially on the bumpers, build is gonna be crazy expensive as it is, but we will see. If the jeep is done suspension / driving wise, I could careless about the bumpers for now. I wont be wheeling till spring time so that would give me winter to save up.

edit, just saw the protofab bumpers, found a nice front one for 395. we will see.

also gonna look at DIY beadlock rings to save money.

gonna surf around pirate and JF and others looking for a used rear locker. Keep your eyes out guys for good deals on used shit that might be helpful to me.

Comment

DIY beadlocks need to be PERFECT otherwise theyre useless. sam got his allieds for pretty cheap iirc.

Comment

i've been eyeballing staun internal beadlocks for a while now, i may give them a shot in the future

Comment

i know a few people that have diy beedlocks. they are not as bad as Adam makes them out to be, but they do take A LOT of time.

Comment

Originally posted by fullwidthxj191 View Post
                            i've been eyeballing staun internal beadlocks for a while now, i may give them a shot in the future
                            welcome to a world of headache and money....

Comment

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
                              i know a few people that have diy beedlocks. they are not as bad as Adam makes them out to be, but they do take A LOT of time.
                              im just reading what ive webwheeled on pirate

but you should get these mike-

http://www.kmcwheels.com/beadlock.html

Comment

Working...
                              X