No announcement yet.

Project "is it finished yet?" build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nice build...you got a dana 60 1350 yoke for sale?
    1950 Willys Trail Rig
    2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

• this thing wheel yet ?

Comment

• Alright, I've been planning out a big overhaul that will take place when I actually come into some money, so bear with me while I talk to myself.

Body:

HD Offroad Stiffener set, front to rear. May also go with their shackle relocation, but I'm thinking that may be easy enough to make on my own.

Rockers will be cut out and replaced with box tube, I'm really digging how Mike did his rockers. I'll probably try and tie them into the stiffeners somehow.

Axles:

I'm leaning towards 5.13's, for the sole reason that I plan to hopefully snag a 241 case from a Rubicon later down the road and 5.38's may be slight overkill with the 4:1. Plus, I like how my brothers TJ handles with 5.13's. I could be convinced otherwise though.

Obviously chromo shafts of some sort on both ends, rear spindles need to be bored out to accept 35 spline stuff. Probably going to go with Longfield 300M joints, although the CV kit from RCV looks sick. Downside is that it's mad coin.

Probably going to go with a spooled rear for cost reasons, already have an Aussie for the front.

Suspension:

Rusty's garbage is going to be history, and I'm pretty certain I don't have to explain my reasoning for that one. I'm going to build my own radius arm, mainly for simplicity. I don't feel like I'm up to the task of building my own 3-link right now.

I'm uncertain as to how exactly I want to go about this. I've been entertaining the idea of using only one upper arm, to reduce binding. I've also heard of some people using JJ's instead of bushings on the axle end lower mounts to negate axle wrap, but for some reason that doesn't seem right. I definetly could use some ideas for that.

The rear will remain simple, I've got a bastard pack of Rusty's 3.5"/stock XJ leaves I'm working on. The front is also sitting on Rusty's 3" springs. Got a set of 10" travel 5150's for the front, and I'll mount the 5100's I've had laying around in the back through the floor somehow.

I'll fab my own crossmember and mounts, as well as a large flat belly skid.

Tires/Wheels:

I have been thinking of possibly selling the Iroks/steelies, to run a set of Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters. I can run much more backspacing to bring the stance in some, Rockers are the shit, and 17" wheels are tits.

That probably won't happen though, I'll most likely end up sticking with the Iroks because I'll have no money left.

Comment

• actually its been moved to the cage
          1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
          2001 wj tbd
          1974 5 ton

Comment

• I'm trying to word this without sounding like a douche. If it comes off that way I apologize in advance.

The whole overhaul thing seems like a shit ton of money to be dumping into the jeep. I don't know much about longfields or DTF joints, but it sounds like time and money to me.
            If I were in your situation I'd wheel that bad boy a bunch of times (don't know if you have or not) and see how that set up works. It seems like it's pretty built to me as is but what do I know. I just think you have a lot of time and money into it at this point to just say fuck it and redo a bunch of shit.
            1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
            1999 sierra
            1967 M725 Big and Slow
            -Dan

Comment

• if you have the rustys long arms just wheel them... they arent gonna break.... they might be "low clearence" compared to other shit but you will be fine for the time being...

i think you are biting off more than you can chew

arent you going to the navy anyway

just wheel it till something breaks

you are going to your A-school in groton...

you can fix shit on the weekends

and you are either getting stationed in groton, norfolk, or washington state

if you get stationed in groton you willl be close

if u get stationed in norfolk ill help you

if you get stationed in washington well you are SOL

Comment

Working...
              X