The Renegade Rescue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking good
    Those wheel centers look like they will be a lot stronger.
    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
    www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
    Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

• lol @ fullwidth 1 ton 4:10's and open/open

you are doing everything backassword but hey, your doin it
      "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

• Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
        lol @ fullwidth 1 ton 4:10's and open/open

you are doing everything backassword but hey, your doin it
        why is he doing it backassword, looks like he is getting all the big projects out of the way and saving the little shit for last. pretty much what i am doing. got my suspention in and fine tuning it. then goin to work on the cage and body armor. then goin to worry about gears, axlses, lockers and hopping up the eng a little.

Seems like a pretty solid plan you got goin on so keep up the work.
        85 K10, 44front,ff14 rear, 350,th350,Np208, 39.5/13.5r20 IROKs. almost done
        New toy 88 yj, 4.2, 5speed,231. Its getting a soa, 78 f350 dana 60s, SYE, and some 37s.

Comment

• i'd definately build and gear axles before going through the headache of swapping them under a truck...

38.5" TSLs, 4:10s, open/open is a joke. my jeep will spank that setup any trail, any time, any place. the clutch is going to melt away real fast trying to move those tires.

Comment

• Originally posted by XJLI View Post
            i'd definately build and gear axles before going through the headache of swapping them under a truck...

BALD38.5" TSLs, 4:10s, open/open is a joke. my jeep will spank that setup any trail, any time, any place. the clutch is going to melt away real fast trying to move those tires.
            fixed

and x2 about gearing the axles before putting them in. just another step you dont have to go through
            P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
            2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
            OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

i'd definately build and gear axles before going through the headache of swapping them under a truck...

38.5" TSLs, 4:10s, open/open is a joke. my jeep will spank that setup any trail, any time, any place. the clutch is going to melt away real fast trying to move those tires.
              Not sure what the drivetrain is, but if he's running a transmission with no OD 4.10s might be more streetable (if that is a goal). There are other, more effective ways to get a low crawl ratio then just install numerically highest ring and pinions.

Example if he is running a SM465/D300 drivetrain then he will have an approx 6.32:1 1st gear 2.62:1 Low range. It would be more effective to go to a 4:1 transfer case gear then to go from 4.10s to 5.38s. In fact with a 4:1 transfer case gear set in this setup, a crawl ratio of over 100 is achievable.

I use this as an example, because this is what I did. I already had 4.56's and was considering going to 5.38s. Instead I bought a low transfer case gear set. When I first started building my jeep I didn't have a tow rig either and with no OD and 5.38s it will be screaming at 60mph. Down the road I might go to 5.38s but I also have the option of a 203 crawl box.

Low transfer case gears may not appeal to some because of the price but think of the cost for 2 quality ring and pinion sets, master install kits, carriers if needed, etc, plus the time to install them. Not to mention you are going to be at a higher RPM cruising (not an issue for everyone)

Just my 2 cents, I do not believe the lowest ring and pinions are the be-all-and-end-all of a capable offroad crawler.

But I must agree, If you put those axles in and want to gear and lock them down the road, be prepared to pull them out again
              1950 Willys Trail Rig
              2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

• What are you using for tube? Nice job notching it.
                1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

• 1.75x.120, notching is the biggest bitch in the world, i've broken my drill press twice notching all this shit
                  1991 YJ, 1 tons, locked, lots o armor, stretched, cage

Comment

• and i'm thinking of doing a transfercase set up like owen was saying, i want to keep the gears or go a little lower but not much, i got my hands on a d300 so i plan to flip that and gear it, the t-case won;t go in until next summer though when i actually have the time because i have a 350 a t-18 and the d300 and between the t-18 granny gear and a low gear d300 i'll be all set

Comment

• If you are going to run a Chevy engine, I would go with a SM465 with a factory bellhousing. And flip a 300. I forgot you are running a ford axle up front, which kinda limits you on transfer case selection. I am running a ford 60 with a early bronco dana 20 to a ford NP435 with a Chevy truck bellhousing It's a cool setup but you have more options with a SM465-d300, more aftermarket support and you can order a complete clutch kit. Or run a 465 to a newer NP case. I have nothing against NP231s, except they don't fit in between my frame rails
                      1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

• This page just blew my mind.
                        Is it egg nog season yet?

Comment

• i want to get rid of the np 231 because it has the chain and with a larger motor and gears and big azz tires i think in will break, i'd feel better with all gears. nd i'll look into the SM 465 know any good links i know nothing about that tranny so anything would be great

Comment

• www.novak-adapt.com

the bible
                            1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

seriously whats the difference? unless you plan on regearing yourself, which i guarantee he isn't there really is no difference from building an axle on jackstands compared to sitting underneath a jeep

Comment

• this page of this thread has more tech in it than i have seen in a while on sis .....however.... I have to agree with adam on buiilding the axles outside the truck first than swapping them in. unless you dont plan on wheeling it. If its not going to see the trail until you are completely done, than fine. if it were me, I would build the axles outside if I had a rig like this. But I also wouldnt wheel it until its done completely. I wouldnt be building something like this for a DD

but hey, thats me. to each their own.

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Working...
                                X