No announcement yet.

Welding classes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My high school got one of those huge all in one, miller multiprocess welders mid way through my senior year and I was so pissed my teacher would not set it up. I wanted to tig so bad.
    Last edited by cherokee-at-16; 08-04-2011, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post
      in complete honesty... i have a big ole tig. tried it once. really didnt know what i was doing. and i never have the time to sit down and learn cuz usually when i weld i just wana get shit done......

so, would u like to come play in my garage and figure my machine out with me sometime? i can supply beer, jack, maybe a burger or 2?
      I'm down to come, bullshit around, and try to figure it out. Not gonna lie, pretty much have no idea what i am doing.

I learned with a stick in high school. I can still get nice clean welds from a stick with the right conditions, took a lot of practice though.

I use MIG almost daily, sometimes for hours on end. I have developed a bunch of little tricks for getting really clean and flat welds with great penetration. That being said it took me short of 6 months to get my welds acceptable enough for actual products.

I like how easy and simple a MIG is.

That being said, really the only reason i would ever use a TIG welder is for aluminum. If i had access to one at home, i'd have aluminum everything. Valve covers, oil pans, etc. for no reason other than the fact they look fucking dope.
      No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
      Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

TIG is gay. I stick weld everything.

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
          That being said, really the only reason i would ever use a TIG welder is for aluminum. If i had access to one at home, i'd have aluminum everything. Valve covers, oil pans, etc. for no reason other than the fact they look fucking dope.
          My TIG is DC only, I use it to weld carbon steel, great for tube and frame work where you cannot move the piece (I am convinced you get stronger verticals and overheads with TIG that look a hell of a lot cleaner than the squirt gun). Scratch start with panel control is really great for out of position, I run a 9fv torch, it is my favorite for up to 1/4" material
          1950 Willys Trail Rig
          2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by CSaddict View Post
            TIG is gay. I stick weld everything.
            Tell us how you really feel.
            2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
            MK2 Jetta > M3
            Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

always beatin around the bush
              - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
              or am asians pants not a read end lol.
              Originally posted by DizzDizz
              aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by OWEN View Post
                My TIG is DC only, I use it to weld carbon steel, great for tube and frame work where you cannot move the piece (I am convinced you get stronger verticals and overheads with TIG that look a hell of a lot cleaner than the squirt gun). Scratch start with panel control is really great for out of position, I run a 9fv torch, it is my favorite for up to 1/4" material
                Makes sense, i never do overheads with a MIG. I either roll or flip what i am doing.

With a MIG i prefer welding down, gives a nice flat and clean looking weld. If i am welding something on a level surface i always push the bead, dragging not only looks like crap but gets worse penetration.

That makes sense, i'm sure a DC only TIG is alittle more cost effective, but i really cannot personally justify buying another welder esp a TIG if i can't do AC with it. For my application, being able to do aluminum is the major selling point on a TIG
                No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Another thing you need tig for is welding small stuff where you don't want any slag or want full penetration from the start.

Like welding on bungs and stuff.

I've weld really thin stuff some of the tubes on the Mini Baja were .035 thick.
                  I've even welded thinner.

I've made Tees out of fuel line all kinds of stuff you just cannot do with a mig.

Aluminum is a plus, but you don't do that to often and welding cast aluminum like oil pans and engine blocks really sucks anyways it is so dirty.
                  But I have fixed a lot of really expensive hard to find crap.
                  I've also welded up a bunch of cracked rims.
                  Just odds and ends nothing real.

Things like this
                  http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=73

Better off finding a friend that has a TIG
                  I wish I had a friend with a Tig.
                  RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                  www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                  Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

My TIG is AC/DC if anyone needs to weld aluminum.

Comment

Working...
                    X