Thoughts on Handguns...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Handguns...

So just recently I participated in a Pistol Safety Course and am in the process of applying for my carry permit.

As such I've began shopping for my first pistol. In all honesty I love the 1911. .45 ACP, timeless design and reliability all reasons. I've looked into the Taurus PT1911, Kimber Custom II, the Ruger SR1911, and Springfield Loaded. All awesome but variations on price vs. budget is an issue with some.

On the other hand I've also been looking at models for CC, such as the Walther PK380, Glock 21/31, S&W M&P and others for theyre simplicity and price.

In the end im looking for thoughts on whether I should make my first pistol a practical beginners piece, or just grab a 1911.
    dirty30

I owned a Loaded. Nice gun. Cycled well, never failed, trigger could have used some work.

I only have 2 I carry. Ruger LCP with a CT laser and a FN Herstal FNX-9. I was going to add a Glock 17 to the mix as a tinkering rig.

Comment

DO NOT GET TAURUS.

Rugers, Kimbers and Springfields are great. Kimber makes a .22 conversion kit for the 1911 and it's awesome, doesn't break the bank to shoot it either.

As for a carry piece, Ruger makes a great line of small pocket guns like the LCR, LC9, and the SR9c.
      sigpic
      Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Really, the guy from Sons of Guns said Taurus is BOSS
        Sergeant Sergeant Master Sergeant Shooter Person

MS Paint " Its like painting with a sauce covered piece of pasta".

Official In Crowd member.

Comment

Is that a serious post?
          sigpic

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Comment

Oh, okay, just had to be sure. I got nothing. Buy a Taurus if you want, but if you buy a piece of shit, don't come crying to me about it. I'd never buy anything Taurus makes.
                sigpic

Comment

My big dilemma is whether to just get a 1911 full frame, or something comp so I can carry.
                  dirty30

Comment

Do the right thing and get both. If you can't, get a compact 1911 or dare I say...GLOCK.

An argument for the 'Get Both' perspective: Compact guns are not fun to shoot. Most compact guns barely fit in your hand and are cool for the first 20 rounds then you actually start to hurt yourself. Get a fullsize that will see range time that you can shoot a lot of and become a better shot with, and then get a compact to carry and practice a bit with, but get a comfortable full size for range play.
                    Last edited by Buffalo Phil; 01-17-2012, 06:50 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Both would be beautiful, but funds for a nice 1911 would take longer then say for a glock.
                      dirty30

Comment

Buy carry first then save up for the range toy.
                        sigpic

Comment

get flowers instead
                          - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                          or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                          Originally posted by DizzDizz
                          aliens probed my husband

Comment

sigpic

Comment

I carry a colt 1991 compact (3.5" barrel) with hogue grips which i love its the most comfy conceal gun i've had. It is not bad at the range just a little snappy. Before that i had a glock 26 that i was not thoroughly impressed with the back strap serrations dug the shit out of my hand. I had a glock 21 i used to carry and it was hard to do with out printing. A good gun belt is a must have. If you are looking at a glock 21 take a look at the fnp45 i picked one up about a month ago. They are almost the same size. It is a much more pleasant shooter adjustable backstraps and hold 15+1 of .45 as opposed to the 21 which is 13+1. The fn also allows the ability to be fully rebuilt.

I also got a colt 100th anniversary 1911 that ive shot once that i liked but that will probably stay in the safe for a very long time. If you are looking for a 1911 look at the sti spartan which are like 650 and i havent heard of any issues with them. Or if you want a beater 1911 on the cheap look at the argentine 1911 which is made using all of the colt tooling
                              Fnp45, colt compact, walther p22

fnp45 vs g21

Ill be heading to the range on sun in new milford if you want to try them
                              Last edited by Magilla; 01-17-2012, 07:40 PM.
                              1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                              2001 wj tbd
                              1974 5 ton

Comment

Working...
                              X