No announcement yet.

96 wont start..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check for to make sure nothing is shorting, i forget how to but you can hook up a test light to the ground and power or something when the car is off, and if it turns on theres a draw from somewhere. Some one can probably explain this better than i can since i havn't had to do this on my current jeep yet

Edit: disconnect the positive terminal cable, attach test light to negative, then touch the positive terminal on the batt, if it turns on theres is a short iirc
    Last edited by LittleD; 05-15-2010, 08:27 PM.
    God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Originally posted by kevinlax16 View Post
      That is really weird, does the headlight radio thing happen with the engine running? If the engine is running the battery and alternator should be able to power both the headlights and radio with no problem at all, sounds like you have something else drawing a huge amount of power which would also explain the battery draining after sitting for that short of a time.
      Yeah it does it while its running or when the key is turned on. Well I think it might have something to do with terminals or battery cables cuz it cut all power when I had the cables hooked up, but when I adjusted them they sparked and it came back. As for whacking the solenoid that didn't seem to do anything. It wanted to fire up but it seemed like it wasn't getting fuel. Then finally the booster went dead so I'm in for the night now. If anybody thinks of anything let me know. Ill be cruising on here for a bit.
      Watch your backhoe, I'm the John Deere man.

Comment

Originally posted by gobigorgohome View Post
        Check for to make sure nothing is shorting, i forget how to but you can hook up a test light to the ground and power or something when the car is off, and if it turns on theres a draw from somewhere. Some one can probably explain this better than i can since i havn't had to do this on my current jeep yet

Edit: disconnect the positive terminal cable, attach test light to negative, then touch the positive terminal on the batt, if it turns on theres is a short iirc
        Ill grab a test light tomorrow. How do I figure out where the short is after that? If there even is one. My luck it will probably be something major. If I'm lucky its something small and stupid but so far everytime I fix something on it something else goes wrong...
        Last edited by Trailer Ray; 05-15-2010, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Unplug 1 fuse/relay at a time until the light goes off i would think

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

all these problems happen before or after it went into the pond?
            I once had a 93 XJ, 4.5" o' lift, 33" TSL Super Swampers, 8.25 rear Detroit locked. 2,000 Lb Steering. Custom rockers, Sam's old Bumpah. Cherry Bomb BITCH. SOLD

Fight Team

Official HMC Girlie

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Quine View Post
              the old jeep is the one that went into the pond. the new one is the one hes havin problems with
              97 zj- frankenstein 3.5", 35 stt's.

92 240sx- coilovers,full adj arms bla bla bla. 50trim t3/t04 soon

xj- need one

Comment

baaahahahahahaha. this is a different one than the one that went in the pond. the one that went in the pond is the one thats the same color as yours. 93 5 speed ax 15. this ones a 96 auto aw4 that stayed dry hahaha.

edit: brian beat me to it. still funny though...

ok so, ive been checking up on some other places and when people are getting the dead key thing its more or less some type of starter switch. anyone know where this is/ how to tell if this is the problem. im going to try jumping the nss first, next is to get the test light to see if theres a short, and then after that im just gonna throw parts at it until eventually those parts turn into hand grenades. i am leading towards a short or a faulty part that is causing a short because sometimes it will start with no problems and run all day and the next thing i know it wont do anything when i turn the key. maybe the radio thing is just a cooincidence but idk. im more than likely not going to make the meet and greet unless i figure this out by noontime.
                Last edited by Trailer Ray; 05-16-2010, 07:43 AM.

Comment

im not sure man, i hope you get it worked out so you can make it today
                  I once had a 93 XJ, 4.5" o' lift, 33" TSL Super Swampers, 8.25 rear Detroit locked. 2,000 Lb Steering. Custom rockers, Sam's old Bumpah. Cherry Bomb BITCH. SOLD

Fight Team

Official HMC Girlie

Comment

ok so i went out to it a few minutes ago. i hooked up the battery booster. started right up, i let it run for a few. i turned it off to see if it would go again and nothing. it was almost like either the alternator didnt charge the battery or it got drained or the dead key again. ive heard from people with similar problems that it will still start if i jump the solenoid with the key on. im gonna try that now.

Edit. It will crank with the booster and solenoid but now there seems to be a fuel issue. It wont stay running unless I'm on the gas. Also I didn't think of this but my oil pressure gauge reads really low. It jumps up and down. Idk if this has anything to do with the issueg but oh well.
                    Last edited by Trailer Ray; 05-16-2010, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 93XJRay View Post
                      ok so i went out to it a few minutes ago. i hooked up the battery booster. started right up, i let it run for a few. i turned it off to see if it would go again and nothing. it was almost like either the alternator didnt charge the battery or it got drained or the dead key again. ive heard from people with similar problems that it will still start if i jump the solenoid with the key on. im gonna try that now.

Edit. It will crank with the booster and solenoid but now there seems to be a fuel issue. It wont stay running unless I'm on the gas. Also I didn't think of this but my oil pressure gauge reads really low. It jumps up and down. Idk if this has anything to do with the issueg but oh well.
                      you have enough oil? dont wanna throw a rod now....my shit used to idle real low and id have to rev it at stop lights or it would stall out A LOT then i realized that the air filter was jammed on all the way and my rig was just getting choked out. probably not your problem though

Fight Team

Official HMC Girlie

Comment

you have enough oil? dont wanna throw a rod now....my shit used to idle real low and id have to rev it at stop lights or it would stall out A LOT then i realized that the air filter was jammed on all the way and my rig was just getting choked out. probably not your problem though
                        I changed the oil, filter and air filter yesterday. Now what's happening is I can jumpstart it but when I turn it off and take the jumpers off it wont do anything. No power no nothing. I'm gonna throw the alternator from the 93 in it just to see what happens. I'm gonna put the volt meter on the battery now.

Comment

for teh win!!!

Wow. This whole time it was bad terminals. They wouldn't send enough juice to the ignition. I cleaned them up and the clamps and I have no problems what so ever. I'm going to get replacement wires and clamps now. As for the fuel issue I replaced the 93s pump and filter not long ago so as long as there's no water in the filter ill put it in.

Comment

Update

the 96 is running/ starting smoother than a trojan dipped in astroglide. changed the fuel filter and flushed the cooling system, along with replacing the junk original thermostat, cleaned up the terminals again along with new terminal clamps and wires, all in all this things doing pretty good. it idles a little rough but i cant complain seeing as how long its been sitting with no lovin. temp is good, all fluids are good, as for the oil pressure gauge im pretty sure it just plain doesnt work. it needs brakes but it will get them once i get it on jackstands to swap the longarms and lift components from the 93 over to it. thanks for all the help and suggestions guys, you havent let me down yet.

Comment

Fight Team

Official HMC Girlie

Comment

If the oil gauge doesn't work, it's probably the sending unit in the engine compartment

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Working...
                                X