96 wont start..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 wont start..

the 96 i just bought wont start now. heres the deal: i bought it the other day. i put a new water pump, power steering pump and radiator in it. it was running fine last night except for over heating (new radiator wasnt in yet.) i started it up this morning and it ran ok. now after putting the new radiator in this afternoon i wanted to check it out and see how it was doing with the temp and whatnot, and it wont start. i think the alternators junk because it keeps raping the battery power, im jumping it but it just doesnt seem to have alot of power while cranking. the battery is nearly new and all the fuses and whatnot are ok. any ideas on what it could be? would a bad alternator be the cause of an extremely weak crankover?? its a 96 xj 4x4 4.0 auto.
    Last edited by Trailer Ray; 05-14-2010, 06:22 PM.
    Watch your backhoe, I'm the John Deere man.

NSS......i swear
    I once had a 93 XJ, 4.5" o' lift, 33" TSL Super Swampers, 8.25 rear Detroit locked. 2,000 Lb Steering. Custom rockers, Sam's old Bumpah. Cherry Bomb BITCH. SOLD

Fight Team

Official HMC Girlie

Comment

Check the power connection to the starter, it could be loose or corroded not allowing the starter to get full power from the battery. Ive had this happen twice on my wj.

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Quine View Post
        NSS......i swear
        think so? ill check into it.

as for kevin ill look into your suggestion also. thanks guys ill keep you posted.

Comment

Originally posted by 93XJRay View Post
          think so? ill check into it.

as for kevin ill look into your suggestion also. thanks guys ill keep you posted.
          idk man everytime ive had an issue i put that shit in neutral and fire it up....worth a shot
          I once had a 93 XJ, 4.5" o' lift, 33" TSL Super Swampers, 8.25 rear Detroit locked. 2,000 Lb Steering. Custom rockers, Sam's old Bumpah. Cherry Bomb BITCH. SOLD

Fight Team

Official HMC Girlie

Comment

so what happens if i put it in neutral and it starts? what do i replace?

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Quine View Post
              idk man everytime ive had an issue i put that shit in neutral and fire it up....worth a shot
              2x worked for me when I had a problem

Comment

Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
                2x worked for me when I had a problem
                The only thing that makes me think its something other then the nss is when my nss went bad in the xj, i turned the key and all i got was a click at the starter relay under the hood the power never made it to the starter. The nss cut power all together from the the starter. I deff could be wrong though. If you want to rule out the nss for sure bypass it with a jumper in the realy box under the hood.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinlax16 View Post
                  The only thing that makes me think its something other then the nss is when my nss went bad in the xj, i turned the key and all i got was a click at the starter relay under the hood the power never made it to the starter. The nss cut power all together from the the starter. I deff could be wrong though. If you want to rule out the nss for sure bypass it with a jumper in the realy box under the hood.
                  actually this has happened a couple times. like its almost like you lost all power right?? all the dash lights and everything go out when you turn the key??

Comment

I only lost power to the starter, radio, interior lights,guages etc. all still worked fine. When you turn the key does the motor turn over just slowly?

Comment

and the winner iiissssssss.... NSS. fucking thing started right up. how do i replace this bad boy?/where is it?

Comment

Originally posted by 93XJRay View Post
                        and the winner iiissssssss.... NSS. fucking thing started right up. how do i replace this bad boy?/where is it?
                        for once in my life i was right!!!! haha probably dont have to replace it. just give it a good cleaning

Fight Team

Official HMC Girlie

Comment

Momentary switch power to it from the battery then from that to the small post on the starter
                          1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                          2001 wj tbd
                          1974 5 ton

Comment

Just becareful when you take it off the part against the transmission is only plastic.....i found that out the hard way when it wouldnt come off and i tried to pry it off a little too hard, it cracked

Comment

POK so here's the deal now. The jeep was running fine/ starting fine last night and the alternator is charging the battery cuz I can start it and leave it for a while and start it again. But after having it parked overnight when I got in it this morning and went to start it I turned the key and all I got was a click and then no cranking. It was like as soon as I turned the key it drained the battery. I got out the jumper box and it started right up. Now I would say battery but I just got it in January. Do you think all the jumping and draining of the battery I did yesterday trying to start it killed the battery? / suggestions? I can't get out to test he battery just yet so I figured I'd see what you guys say before I head out in a bit..
                              Last edited by Trailer Ray; 05-15-2010, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X