8.8 rear with drums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8.8 rear with drums?

I am getting ready to put a 4" lift in my YJ with 4.10 geared dana 30/35's, with 33" tires. Found a drum brake 8.8 out of a 99 Ranger with 4.10s for $100. I think it is worth it, even if it is not discs, no?
    1950 Willys Trail Rig
    2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

for a hundred bucks? i'd go for it.
    2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
    MK2 Jetta > M3
    Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

not worth it

28 spline and methinks they are the wrong width
      www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Yeah, when I was looking for an 8.8 for my TJ I found one out of a ranger, when I asked around I was told not to do it because of the width, go with an explorer.
        Shane "The Bag" Carlson

2.5L TJ, 5-speed, frankenlift, and stuff.
        My "Bucket" Build
        MilitaryJeepers.com
        ‚——P--;===±--= <-
        !‚–’¯ƒ¹¶

Comment

actually might be 31

older rangers were 28 spline

but still

exploder 8.8's are cheap, everywhere, and more better-er
          www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

I would go with a newer explorer one. not sure if 28 or 31 spline but the width is different. pretty much what sam said. you can find one for fairly cheap

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

for another 50 bucks you could get a 96+(Explorer) 31spline w/discs....only problem is they are hard to get parts for since they dont break often....
              99 XJ on tons and 40s....

Comment

Ok cool thanks guys, I guess I have a little research to do! I thought all 8.8's were 31 spline
                1950 Willys Trail Rig
                2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by kracker View Post
                  for another 50 bucks you could get a 96+(Explorer) 31spline w/discs....only problem is they are hard to get parts for since they dont break often....
                  Really? I had no problem getting parts for mine. Napa had everything in stock and plenty of aftermarket companies make gears/ lockers etc. soo i dunno?

Originally posted by OWEN View Post
                  Ok cool thanks guys, I guess I have a little research to do! I thought all 8.8's were 31 spline
                  Yea I didnt either until I started actually researching them. Mustangs were 28 spline too

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

any info on cop car 8.8's? i get them at work quite a bit, free even
                    I drive a Datsun

Comment

[QUOTE=CumminsJeep;189912]Really? I had no problem getting parts for mine. Napa had everything in stock and plenty of aftermarket companies make gears/ lockers etc. soo i dunno?

when i had to get thrust washers for it...nobody had anything! but then i went to Randys R&P...what i was getting at was limited upgrades considering their strength....they are a good axle plain and simple...
                      99 XJ on tons and 40s....

Comment

Working...
                      X