No announcement yet.

Caliper wont open up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when i did my 44/44 swap my brakes got soft, and almost to the floor, but would lock up 37's on teh pavement at 40 mph. i still didn't like the feel of em' though.

are you sure your wheel cylinders are good? i could have SWORN i tasted brake fluid that day. if they have leaked fluid in the past they could have also sucked in air.
    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Did you put your D44 back in?
      -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

I still think its the master cylinder.

Comment

lets swap the master on thursday.
          Last edited by crosbike; 03-30-2009, 06:29 PM.

Comment

the brakes worked "fine" before i had that issue and the caliper broke off on the highway. (yes, replaced with a new one)
            - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
            or am asians pants not a read end lol.
            Originally posted by DizzDizz
            aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbike View Post
              Did you put your D44 back in?
              yes

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
              when i did my 44/44 swap my brakes got soft, and almost to the floor, but would lock up 37's on teh pavement at 40 mph. i still didn't like the feel of em' though.

are you sure your wheel cylinders are good? i could have SWORN i tasted brake fluid that day. if they have leaked fluid in the past they could have also sucked in air.

well i replaced one since, they arent leakin

Originally posted by XJLI View Post
              I still think its the master cylinder.
              fuck

Originally posted by crosbike View Post
              lets swap the master on thursday.
              man i hate cutting this shit so close
              - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

well we replaced the master cylinder, the brake booster, and both wheel cylinders, and this piece of shit is STILL exactly the same.
                - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

suicide is the only way out
                  1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                  1999 sierra
                  1967 M725 Big and Slow
                  -Dan

Comment

You get my voicemail?

If not I'll put it here so maybe someone can tell me if this is just a waste of time. Put something heavy on the brake peddle to keep constant pressure throughout the system overnight. If there is an air bubble in the system it should work its way out and into the res. since the system is "open". This is common to do on motorcycle's brakes. If you need a hand again i'll be home again this weekend
                    I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

• my offer to take heavy off your hands is still on the table

Comment

• Did you check to see if it stops before you did all that work?

Next time make plugs weld off a piece of brake line and put that on the master is the pedal hard then your master is good there is ways to check every thing don't just throw parts at it. If the wheel cylinders are not leaking and the is pressure back there then they are also good.
                        Make sure your drums are adjusted all the way up just a little drag that will cause a soft pedal too.

Now again do you stop?

If you want the pedal feeling back put a larger diameter master on it.
                        Otherwise you are just going to have very sensitive brakes.

As long as you are not bottoming out your master you should be fine.
                        RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                        www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                        Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

• Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
                          Did you check to see if it stops before you did all that work?

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                          my brakes are absolutely TERRIBLE.

i bled em again, i can be going 30, slam on the brakes as hard as i can and the jeep just rolls to a stop, cannot lock any tires up, and its like stepping on a soaking wet sponge

im at a loss

i have had these brakes working better in the past. i dont get it. basically unfit to drive right now
                          Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post

Next time make plugs weld off a piece of brake line and put that on the master is the pedal hard then your master is good there is ways to check every thing don't just throw parts at it. If the wheel cylinders are not leaking and the is pressure back there then they are also good.
                          Make sure your drums are adjusted all the way up just a little drag that will cause a soft pedal too.

Now again do you stop?

If you want the pedal feeling back put a larger diameter master on it.
                          Otherwise you are just going to have very sensitive brakes.

As long as you are not bottoming out your master you should be fine.
                          drums are adjusted with new shoes

i was told either could cause my problem as it exists, not necessarily just throwing money at it randomly.
                          - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

• it does sound like it could be a master just because it is new does not mean it is good I've had a few New Masters that were bad and spent forever trying to chase it down.

Do Plug off the master check the pedal should be as hard of a rock right away.
                            Take that piece of the puzzle right out.

You could have some very stubborn air trapped.

You didn't accidentally swap the right and left calipers? it is common mistake.
                            Check the bleeders they should be on the top of the caliper if the bleeder is on the bottom you will never get all the air out.
                            RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                            www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                            Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Working...
                            X