Optima Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optima Batteries

Im gonna go pick one up today, and was wondering which one I should get, the red or yellow top.

They say yellow top is designed for people running heavy duty applications( winches, lighting, ect) but whats the difference between the red and yellow. Anyone here have either?

pink

but seriously, it's up to you. Are you going to have a winch??

If yes, I'd go with the yellow top for obvious reasons.

If no, the red should suit you just fine.
    Last edited by Zullock Holmes; 11-16-2009, 11:49 AM.
    No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
    Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

yellow is deep cycle, made to be able to be drained slowly repeatedly and still be able to function

red is a starter battery

i ran a red, worked great til it randomly died 100% one day after 2.5 years
      - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
      or am asians pants not a read end lol.
      Originally posted by DizzDizz
      aliens probed my husband

Comment

im running a Deka 70 and have abused just as much as other people has abused optimas. its run lights, radio, power tools, you name it for hours and has never let me down. hell, i drove 3.5 hours (at night mind you) on just battery power... alt died and had to get home. swapped the new alt in and the thing started up like nothing even happened.

i bought the battery when i bought the jeep.. so like jan 06, spent like 65 bucks on it. its ballin.

Comment

yeah thats a problem with optima, theyll be working great and then randomly shit the bed completely. we get alot of them coming back at work, so because most people arent running them in rigs we recommend they get a regular lead acid battery instead
          2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
          1945 Willys-Overland CJ2A

Comment

i used to run a red top.... it would crank my jeep over slow and worked great... until one day it decided to not work... i now run my 45 dalla everstart from walmart and it cranks my engine faster, and i dont care if this one dies on me....
            Originally posted by Ktmracer419
            some people choose video games
            some choose projects
            some choose welding random things together

Comment

maybe ill go check out a cheaper deka battery or something similar. My jeeps battery is the one that came in it stock in 97 and its on its last leg.

Comment

If you do get an optima.

Get a yellow top no matter if you will be using lights, winch, etc.

Red top is great for starting. but once you add another fuckin power wire off of it it shits the bed. no joke. my dad has been through three on his bronco. the only thing he has hooked to it is an led backup light.

i have had my yellow top for 2.5 years and ran it til mah jeep would barley crank. then bam alternator charged it and bam! like a brand new battery
                2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
                • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
                • 4.0/42rle/np241or
                • 5.13's
                • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
                • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

damn....i'm planning on getting a winch soon and was thinking about a yellow top...not too sure anymore

Comment

i recommend the deka intimidator (which is a gel batt) over the optima. tom had one in his TJ and he worked that thing to death and it never quit.

Comment

My jeep is running on a walmart batt. Idk how long it has been in there but it starts fine every time. There were subwoofers in it for a long time (also my CB). I had them and the guy before me did. I sold my subs to finance a trip to see my girlfriend, but the battery powered them great and didn't spike even without a cap.
                      -Matt
                      Facebook

Comment

I have a yellow top. Bought mine on Ebay from "backupdog". His prices have probably gone up in 3 years, but I remember it being pretty cheap even shipped. Around $125 I think. I've had mine for 3 years w/o any issues.
                        99 Dub Ya Jay

My Adventures Thread
                        http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15148

Comment

backupdog on eBay

I looked him up and linked him. Not sure if that is the battery you want but at least you can browse his store.
                          -Matt
                          Facebook

Comment

dont want to deal with shipping and the internet. just gonna pick one up at an autoparts store

Comment

i run whatever the nearest parts store has when mine takes a crap

but if i had a choice:

interstate megatron II

they got MADDDD AMPS
                              www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                              X