Hydro Assist steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is my 2 cents on Stock/Hydro Assist/Full Hydro

I wheeled 5 years on 38" plus tires at 6psi locked front and rear, stock steering. Doable but not easy to steer sometimes.

My new rig has hydro assist and it is sick, I haven't wheeled it yet but just moving around it is a lot nicer...38" tires steer with 1 finger.

Full hydro is cool but you need an excavator to extract your rig if your engine goes south...At least with hydro assist you can tow it out of the woods and steer with the engine off.

If you run hydro assist, put a transmission cooler inline to help keep the fluid cool. I spot for my friend and he was experiencing steering "fade" when his fluid was getting very hot... very hard to steer

Here is some pics of my setup... I bought everything used from Greg at Banditt offroad, he went full hydro on his rig. I think it is a Redneck ram he said his his links and he tapped the box. If not I was going to use Billa Vista's writeup on drilling and tapping. You can get the fittings and hoses at any parts store. For the ram, it is nice to get one with rod ends at the attachment points, so it doesnt bind. Good luck

I can't find any pics of the complete setup though!
    1950 Willys Trail Rig
    2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

Working...
    X