Hydro Assist steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydro Assist steering

Im going to be running a 35-37" tire on my XJ, and am thinking I am going to need hydro assist steering. Ive been doing some research on it and im just trying to clarify. It seems pretty simple, correct me if i am wrong.

Tap the stock steering box in 2 places for send and return lines. ( where specifically on the box do you tap it?)

Mount the stationary end of the ram to the axle, mount the actual ram to the tierod.

Is it that simple? I know sam bought all the parts but ended up selling them. How much am I looking to spend?

Anyone have any ideas or pictures of how to protect the ram from getting fucked up in the rocks?

a one armed cripple can turn 36" iroks on concrete at 1.5 psi
    with stockish steering
    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

when i break my collar bone i want to steer that shit with my pinkie.

really, i know you can handle stock steering and im sure I could, but why not get hyrdro assist. it just makes your life easier. One less thing for me to be fighting, already got to worry about banging gears with the 5 speed and only having one hand on the wheel, would rather not be fighting the wheel with my less dominant hand ( left)

Comment

sorta found what i was looking for.

a d44 with tnt truss, this is probably how ill mount it. appears that the ram would be out of the way of the rocks.

now my only question is how and where do i tap the steering box? Should I even stick with a stock XJ box or is there some sort of advantage to go to a YJ or durago box?

Comment

go full hydro actually anyone out there with any experience please tell all you know i am also getting ready to do this( idk if i'm doing full hydro or assisted yet)
          1991 YJ, 1 tons, locked, lots o armor, stretched, cage

Comment

Its my DD, dont want full hydro because.... If your engine goes out on say the highway, there is no mechanical steering so you have no control over the steering, and if they are at a turn , they wont return to center. Also, im 99% sure its illegal to have full hydro in VA (not sure about CT) unless it came stock from the factory (RVs and big ass vehicles have Full hyrdo)

Comment

you can get orbital valves that return to center, and mine is still my dd but won;t be for very much longer

Comment

if you find a well priced ram/lines, lemme know.
                - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                Originally posted by DizzDizz
                aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  Now my only question is how and where do i tap the steering box? Should I even stick with a stock XJ box or is there some sort of advantage to go to a YJ or durago box?
                  I was told to tap in the right power chamber and the left power chamber.

Actually... here

Originally posted by Offroad.com

' Hydraulically assisted steering is an upgrade from a manual steering box, and it's virtually a requirement with big tires. A hydraulic power system includes a pump, a hydraulic fluid reservoir, hydraulic lines, and a hydraulic steering box. The hydraulic pump and the pump reservoir are mounted to an engine bracket and are powered by an accessory drivebelt. The lines carry hydraulic fluid to and from the steering box. The hydraulic box is similar to the manual box, but the ball nut also functions as a hydraulic piston separating the steering box into two chambers. When the steering wheel is turned, a control valve directs hydraulic pressure to one side of the ball nut (left or right, depending on which way the steering wheel is turned) which helps push the ball nut, thus reducing steering effort.
                  from this article http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/0212...ion/index.html

The cherokee has a 7.5" stroke so an 8 inch ram should be perfect.
                  Last edited by SupermanIce-J; 06-18-2009, 09:13 AM.
                  2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
                  • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
                  • 4.0/42rle/np241or
                  • 5.13's
                  • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
                  • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

Cheapest Ram assist. http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/index.html

I went with PSC.

Ram assist is awesome I would definitely recommend it. It puts the steering force directly against your axle taking force way from your box in return making your box and frame supports stronger.

I talked with the PSC guys I met them at RC KOH he said if you don't need a box then why have one, go strait to full hydro.

It is that easy if you call all that easy, tap the box, run the lines, mount the ram etc.
                    You'll need a larger pump and reservoir and you should put on a cooler.

Full Hydro

A lot of good information here. http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ng/index2.html

Depending on what orbital valve you get you can have force feedback (load reaction) for centering your steering you can also get smaller valves so the steering isn't over sensitive.
                    Most orbital valves have check balls that allow you to steer without the pressure but you still need hydraulic fluid in the valves.

You'll need equal displacement ram, so a double ended ram or 2 single rams plumbed together correctly.

no laws against full hydro and street worthy when done right.

I would go full hydro but class 2 does not allow it.
                    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                    www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                    Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

cheap ram: http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...name=hydraulic

you can get hoses pretty cheap at tractor supply.

good tech on the subject:
                      http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=570869
                      Originally posted by Fast Orange
                      if you piss all over the floor and get 3 drops in the bowl do you count that as good? granted i'm good for a sprinkle or two on the seat, but you leave all of our feet wet, metaphorically speaking of course
                      Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
                      I find adam sandler strangely attractive, it must be josh's fault. god that kid sucks

Comment

full hydro is a nono on anything that sees street time

i found every tid bit of info i needed by searching
                        www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Full Hydro is illegal here on Lawn Guyland I've been told, however Cops where I live only give equipment tickets for window tint, slicks etc. Cops here are pretty reasonable and only ticket and bother you/your vehicle if your doing something stupid like spinning your tires/peeling out! By no means was my 81 Yota street legal, I did infact drive it on the street and never was ticketed. I honestly don't think most if any Cops here would know the difference between a vehicles stock steering or if you had full Hydro on your rig!
                          HOONIGAN FOR LIFE
                          OLD 4X4'S NEVER DIE!!!!!

Comment

still dont want full hydro, just want hyrdro assist.

Comment

i think i'm going to get the redneck ram stuff, i've heard good things and i need it badddddd, every time i hit a bump my jeep decided to drive itself

Comment

Working...
                              X