drive shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by liftedcherokee View Post
    i am a machnic full time and work at a shop also go to school for it and no one can figure out what it is thats why i asked u guys i thought this forum was for help if i kew u were going to tell me take it to a machnic i never woulda joined this forum for help
    Dont get butt hurt. We are trying to help you but you seem to not be listening.
    -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

well the angles are dead on and are perfect no binding nothing axle sits stright everything is good just cant understand why it keeps breaking the bolts

Comment

Are you tightening them down to much' and they bind? They dont need to get super tightened down. Do you have an SYE and rear double carden shaft?
        -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

pics of your setup might help
          "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

My guess is that you are tightening them too far and stripping the threads in the yoke and cause it to have nothing to hold on to and they are falling out because of that. You really can get them tight enough with a 6" wrench.

HOLY FAWK POST 369. Damn this post is fine
            Last edited by WickedXJ; 04-12-2011, 12:52 PM.
            Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
            93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
            Eric

Comment

Originally posted by liftedcherokee View Post
              i am a machnic full time and work at a shop also go to school for it and no one can figure out what it is thats why i asked u guys i thought this forum was for help if i kew u were going to tell me take it to a machnic i never woulda joined this forum for help
              do not believe this one bitttt........

not looking to pick a fight here, but if you were a mechanic you'd be tightening the bolts to torque spec not "as tight as you can" and no one would have had to explain what a yoke was in the first thread......

The only other scenarios that could cause it to keep breaking at the yoke are:

-a crap load of axle wrap, binding the u-joint, blowing it apart.
              -a god awful pinion angle.
              - driveline isn't centered.
              -700 hp

basically for a u-joint to continue to break it needs to be binding at some point.

POST PICTURES!!!! that way we can actually help you.....

Is it possible that when you broke one time, the tabs that hold the u-joint caps in broke off the yoke??? that would cause the shaft to let go, no matter how tight you make those straps..... once again, post a picture.

Other than that there is literally nothing else that could cause the driveshaft to "fall out" on the axle end.

ohhh and just so you know, factory torque spec on those bolts is 14 ft/lbs

Last edited by Zullock Holmes; 04-12-2011, 10:13 PM.
              No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
              Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

it's a mystery...

Comment

so i fixed the problem i got a u bolt yoke and u bolts and the shaft hasnt came out since yesterday and i went wheelin on it no problem

Comment

this thread fails
                    Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
                    didnt this thread start with Jon being gay? what happened to that?
                    Originally posted by Lawn Guyland
                    he's still gay we've just moved on to more important issues
                    Originally posted by Zullius Caesar
                    i grab dude's junk all the time, doesn't make me gay.

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
                      Is it possible that when you broke one time, the tabs that hold the u-joint caps in broke off the yoke??? that would cause the shaft to let go, no matter how tight you make those straps.
                      this is what i was thinking. look at your old yoke and let us know if the little tabs on the ends are broken off. if so the caps were getting lost and snapping everything
                      I drive a Datsun

Comment

glad you found the problem (your old yoke has something wrong with it), now find what your old yoke problem was.
                        up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
                        eliminator MJ - Sold
                        99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
                        Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

Working...
                        X