tow rig question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tow rig question.

Going to look at 94 2500 Suburban today. It only has the 350 in it, you think it will have enough balls to tow my already over weight jeep. Has hydroboost and a trailer brake. He is looking to get 2 grand. Sound fair? High miles, close to 200k

I dont see a reason why it cant tow your jeep Ive seen alot of people towing with much worse things. Only issue Id worry about is the mileage a 200k mile trans isnt gunna like towing too much
    89XJ Pioneer Edition 3.5" 33s ravines 4:10s 8.8- parted but not forgotten
    95XJ tons 3 link 36s 5:38s
    97 F-250HD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
    If Parts Ain't Flyin' you Ain't Tryin'

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

Found this:
      "My '93 is a 3/4 ton, 5.7L and has a tow capacity of 8,600lbs.
      It does lose steam fairly quickly going up steep grades, but it otherwise performs very well. I have no problems with freeway speed on flats when towing over 6,000lbs."
      http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...at-94-suburban
      2 Broncos are better than 1

Comment

Originally posted by Customjob View Post
        Found this:
        "My '93 is a 3/4 ton, 5.7L and has a tow capacity of 8,600lbs.
        It does lose steam fairly quickly going up steep grades, but it otherwise performs very well. I have no problems with freeway speed on flats when towing over 6,000lbs."
        http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...at-94-suburban
        hahaha pedro and I were/are moderators on that site!

I've had really good experiences with obs chevy's with 350s. Me and my family have had 4 (currently have 2) that have gone well over 200k. I've found that gears make a big difference in these trucks in terms of how sluggish they are with a trailer. 2k sounds like a pretty fair price in my opinion.
        1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
        1999 sierra
        1967 M725 Big and Slow
        -Dan

Comment

friend of mine has one for sale with a supercharged bigblock. I think he wants 2500.
          They arent too bad, as someone said, depends on the gears. for most situations it should be fine. It will also depend on how much the trailer weighs
          Dan.
          2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
          www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Sounds reasonable to me, my father used to tow a good sized camping trailer with a 97 burb and 350, did fine even with a fully loaded rig. Handled the hills but drafting did help.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabejeep View Post
              hahaha pedro and I were/are moderators on that site!
              I used to be on that site constantly. havnt been on in a year

I think it would make a decent tow rig for sure. The hills may be a little rough on 80, but it would do the job.
              P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
              2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
              OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

I plan on towing my Jeep with my D150 with the 318. It seems to tow my boat fine so my rig can't be much worse. So logic would say that a 350>318?
                Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
                93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
                Eric

Comment

So tonight I went to look at a 97 ram 2500hd. 60's front and rear, 3.55s and the 5 speed 4500. He wants 5k...its pretty clean, not the typical dodge rusty rockets. It's extended cab short bed. Thoughts?

Comment

97 2500 burbun we pulled a 84 grady white with it for 5 years to the north shore backing it down the ramps and pulliing it out. the boat empty weighs 10,000 lbs you should be fine.
                    2000 XJ 8.25 rear 4.5 BDS lift, 31x10.5 KM2's, Procomp Alloys Series 7069

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                      So tonight I went to look at a 97 ram 2500hd. 60's front and rear, 3.55s and the 5 speed 4500. He wants 5k...its pretty clean, not the typical dodge rusty rockets. It's extended cab short bed. Thoughts?
                      Yes...just yes.
                      Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
                      93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
                      Eric

Comment

it does have a 454 however still should be good
                        2000 XJ 8.25 rear 4.5 BDS lift, 31x10.5 KM2's, Procomp Alloys Series 7069

Comment

is the dodge sporting the cummins?

Comment

Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
                            is the dodge sporting the cummins?
                            i wish, 5.9 gas, new exhaust from manifolds to tail pipes.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                              Diesel or gasser? if its a cummins jump on that if not idk I dont know too much about the gassers
                              89XJ Pioneer Edition 3.5" 33s ravines 4:10s 8.8- parted but not forgotten
                              95XJ tons 3 link 36s 5:38s
                              97 F-250HD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
                              If Parts Ain't Flyin' you Ain't Tryin'

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

Working...
                              X