• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Shock question

Will XJ shocks work on a YJ?
    -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

the mounting points are the same... just check length of compressed/extended to make sure they are right
    Originally posted by Fast Orange
    if you piss all over the floor and get 3 drops in the bowl do you count that as good? granted i'm good for a sprinkle or two on the seat, but you leave all of our feet wet, metaphorically speaking of course
    Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
    I find adam sandler strangely attractive, it must be josh's fault. god that kid sucks

Comment

Thanks Dude.
      -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

from what i understand after looking at some part numbers is that the rears are the same but the fronts are different.
        1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
        2001 wj tbd
        1974 5 ton

Comment

its prob the length difference then... again, the mounts are the same, just bust out a tape and finger it out
          Originally posted by Fast Orange
          if you piss all over the floor and get 3 drops in the bowl do you count that as good? granted i'm good for a sprinkle or two on the seat, but you leave all of our feet wet, metaphorically speaking of course
          Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
          I find adam sandler strangely attractive, it must be josh's fault. god that kid sucks

Comment

lengths are gonna be different, valving is gonna be different.

Comment

What about ZJ and TJ? I have been looking around and it seems that skyjacker sells the same shock for TJ, XJ, ZJ.... is everything really the same, or is SkyJacker just half-assing it to make more sales on the same product? I'm asking because I'm looking at some ZJ shocks but am concerned about fitment and length.
              Shane "The Bag" Carlson

2.5L TJ, 5-speed, frankenlift, and stuff.
              My "Bucket" Build
              MilitaryJeepers.com
              ‚——P--;===±--= <-
              !‚–’¯ƒ¹¶

Comment

Originally posted by bucketokarma View Post
                What about ZJ and TJ? I have been looking around and it seems that skyjacker sells the same shock for TJ, XJ, ZJ.... is everything really the same, or is SkyJacker just half-assing it to make more sales on the same product? I'm asking because I'm looking at some ZJ shocks but am concerned about fitment and length.
                skyjacker makes shitty shocks. most shock manufactures bundle XJ/TJ/ZJ front as the same shock (bc the front suspension is the same) and they bundle ZJ/TJ rears (bc the suspension is the same). In reality, universal shocks SUCK. you need a shock valved for your specific application, and travel that fits your setup. will they work across applications? sure. is there a better way to do this? most definitely. but its cheaper to do it the way most manufacturers do.

Some of us can run a longer shock for our lift heights bc we have bigger tires, and thus longer bumpstops. my rear shocks are 8" travel, but are almost 3" longer extended than my rusty's 3" shocks, but theyre too long too allow a 31" tire to tuck all the way up into the fender.

Also-

my bilsteins are 255/70 valve, while bilstein 3" lift shocks for the XJ (the specific ones in the 5100 series) are valved something like 168/48. Great for a comfy ride on road with a cherokee at stock weight.

You need to take in all the extra axle weight (wheels tires, diff covers, steering, if you have D60s or a D30/D44) and factor that in to your shock valving, as well as bumpers, armor and other things when choosing your valving. yeah, my jeep rides a tad "stiff" over roads, but when Im doing 40mph+ over uneven dirt, its super controlled.
                Last edited by XJLI; 03-15-2009, 09:10 AM.

Comment

So ZJ shocks should do fine in my TJ as long as my lift and tire size will allow then? I firgure the valving isn't that bad since they don't offer a different shock for the 4cyl than the 6cyl.
                  Shane "The Bag" Carlson

My "Bucket" Build
                  MilitaryJeepers.com
                  ‚——P--;===±--= <-
                  !‚–’¯ƒ¹¶

Comment

Originally posted by XJLI View Post
                    You need to take in all the extra axle weight (wheels tires, diff covers, steering, if you have D60s or a D30/D44) and factor that in to your shock valving, as well as bumpers, armor and other things when choosing your valving. yeah, my jeep rides a tad "stiff" over roads, but when Im doing 40mph+ over uneven dirt, its super controlled.
                    aren't axles/tires/wheels unsprung weight? why would that effect shock valving?

Comment

Originally posted by fullwidthxj191 View Post
                      i was thinking the same exact thing.
                      99 xj, 3" RC, 35" BFG AT red labels, custom rear bumper, SYE, armor, Hellas, waggy 44's fr+rr, 5.13's ,lunchbox lockers fr+rr, rear disk conversion,rock crusher covers frt+rr, beefy homemade 1 ton highsteer setup

Comment

Originally posted by fullwidthxj191 View Post
                        Originally posted by xjeeper View Post
                        i was thinking the same exact thing.
                        just because its unsprung doesnt mean it has no effect on your shocks. its more mass pushing up, and more mass forcing the shock to droop down.

Comment

Originally posted by XJLI View Post
                          just because its unsprung doesnt mean it has no effect on your shocks. its more mass pushing up, and more mass forcing the shock to droop down.
                          That's what i figured the answer was, but i can't see it having a ton of impact. If you are cruising at 40mph and hit a pothole, the forces going up and down aren't going to be astronomically different between a d60 and a d30.

The only place where you are going to see a ton of compression and extension of shocks is wheeling, and most of the time you are going so slow i don't think it makes a hell of a lot of difference.

Comment

So getting a shock valved for a ZJ in my 2.5L TJ should be fine, or no?
                            Shane "The Bag" Carlson

My "Bucket" Build
                            MilitaryJeepers.com
                            ‚——P--;===±--= <-
                            !‚–’¯ƒ¹¶

Comment

if fine = will it work then yea it would be fine

But the ride probably won't be anything to brag about. Unless you are getting them for mad cheap then get some valved for a 2.5 tj.

Comment

Working...
                              X