school me on bored tbs please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
    i mounted the intake/ cold air setup under the drivers seat...... i get more power if i eat chili the night before......

LOL

From what I have read and seen....all of this doesnt add shit. at least anything noticeable. cold air intakes, 99+ intake manifolds, bored throttle bodies, etc etc. None of it makes a noticeable difference unless you change your cam out. The 4.0 is pulling in an ample amount of air with the stock set up. I have seen dyno sheets in magazines in stuff that people actually loose power with the new intake manifolds and bored throttle bodies. The only thing they said made power were headers, exhaust, and cold air intakes. and the increase was under 5hp each time...for all 3 of those being on there.

waste of money IMO.

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

a higher flow exhaust header would be beneficial because the stock one is very restrictive.

Cam yes, i think that alot of pretty expensive machine work on the cyl head would be very beneficial. oversize valves, milling and opening up the intake and exhaust ports to allow for higher cfm through the head would deff increase the efficiency of the motor. All this with a 4.2 crank (longer stroke...... means more fuel/air into the cylinder, usually higher compression, and a longer power stroke) would give you a significant amount of power from the 4.0, keep going.... lighten the crank, roller rockers, etc etc you get a higher max rpm and the hp follows. also you have $10k motor(easily).

key thing to remember that horsepower is essentially how many ft/lb.s of torque at what rpm. Increase the torque with a stroke and lots of head work, then increase the working rpm and you will actually see legitimate power gains.

The other factor is the load on the motor, look at dave smiley's buggy, which i think is a great example, and many other rock racing buggies. His motor has around 580hp at the crank, but he only gets about 250 to the wheels. You throw lots of reduction and massive tires on that and your power drifts away pretty fast. needless to say though 250 whp in a rock buggy is pretty rediculous, and fuck that thing is still fast as all hell. lol.

end rant/
      Last edited by Zullock Holmes; 12-03-2010, 12:02 AM.
      No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
      Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
        a higher flow exhaust header would be beneficial because the stock one is very restrictive.

Cam yes, i think that alot of pretty expensive machine work on the cyl head would be very beneficial. oversize valves, milling and opening up the intake and exhaust ports to allow for higher cfm through the head would deff increase the efficiency of the motor. All this with a 4.2 crank (longer stroke...... means more fuel/air into the cylinder, usually higher compression, and a longer power stroke) would give you a significant amount of power from the 4.0, at this point though you have a $10k motor.
        bingo...and thats why I mean simple bolt ons dont do shit

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

yupp yupp i just got long winded.
          No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
          Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

They've done plenty for mine, I've also got everyone of mine for a deal and have done them for a reason.

Comment

Working...
            X