Rust Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust Removal

So just picked up a d44 for my cj out of a commando. So needless to say, its a bit rusty. Just seeing what some of your techniques were. I have some por15 leftover that i'll probably use. But other then wire brush and sanding what are some ways you attack it?
    1981 CJ8 - old & dumb
    1988 Cherokee Limited - The Real Cherokee
    2001 TJ Sport - DD

Wire wheel.
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Time machine. Set to two days before date of manufacture just to be safe.

But really, wire wheel.
      2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
      MK2 Jetta > M3
      Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Kinda what i figured, some otehr sites ive seen guys do the electromagnectic technique and other crazy stuff....now if i had a flux capacitor thatd do the trick
        1981 CJ8 - old & dumb
        1988 Cherokee Limited - The Real Cherokee
        2001 TJ Sport - DD

Comment

the best way is a sandblaster(if you have access to one) because the paint will get a better bond on that surface , wirewheel also works and you can always scuff it with some lightduty sand paper.

Comment

ive had good luck with flap disc's, takes everything off and leaves the axle in good shape to paint.

8.8 with brackets cut off, cleaned, painted to primer

dana30 housing cleaned, painted charcoal Grey metallic

up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
            eliminator MJ - Sold
            99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
            Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

Dear bangarang! Naval jelly is excellent, and can be found in hardware stores, as well as all the cars in the car part store. Get a chip and a set of brushes, gloves and a pair of seriously heavy, since phosphoric acid is pretty nasty.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
                Wire wheel.
                x3. i used a wire wheel on my axle and floorpans and it only took about a day. probably one of the easiest and quickest ways
                94 xj 4.0L, AW4, 242
                3" rusty's lift, 33x12.5 bfg km2's, custom front bumper

Comment

Originally posted by jeepbogger4x4 View Post
                  x3. i used a wire wheel on my axle and floor pans and it only took about a day. probably one of the easiest and quickest ways
                  x4 I used a dewalt 4.5in knotted wire brush on my 11,000rpm shitty 4.5in harbor freight angle grinder to remove the rust from my frame rails and surface rust from my good condition floor pans. I am going to use this same set-up for my new 44 as well, because it worked almost too well. Just good advice pick up some heavy duty hearth, or welding gloves. Mine are 2 layers of HEAVY leather, a layer of fire retardant, a layer of cotton, a layer of some fabric mesh, a layer of cotton again, a layer of some more random fabric, then some soft liner on the inside and I can stop the brush with my hand and still not make it down to flesh. Those brushes are very nasty though. So wear protection at all times. And Coating can really be done with anything as long as you fully clean any dust off and preferably use some metal prep. IMHO a sandblaster just takes much longer and should only be used for small parts with light rust and in tight areas. Unless you have a huge sandblaster the size of a house.
                  Last edited by WickedXJ; 11-01-2010, 06:14 PM.
                  Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
                  93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
                  Eric

Comment

I'll bust out the sandblaster for big jobs or just use a wire wheel or flap wheel for light stuff
                    I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Working...
                    X