Anyone have experience MIGing alum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have experience MIGing alum?

My brothers girlfriend has some sort of issue with her fathers pontoon boat, and something on the pontoon itself needs to be welded.

Is there any sort of advice you can give me? I would imagine the main worry would be burn-through, so similar to sheet metal just take your time and do small sections with very low heat?

I was also under the impression you should be using straight Argon, is it fine if I just use the same bottle of CO2/Ar mix that I have right now?

I'm going to try and scrounge up some scrap pieces I have lying around and give it a whirl.

You will need an aluminum liner hose or a spool gun (preferred) to get that done. It will probably make a mess and burn through if its thin. You really should TIG it.

Comment

I would like to know the answer as well. I would assume you use a spool of wire specifically for aluminum, but I don't know.
      sigpic
      Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Aluminum wire will kink in a normal hose. You need one with a special liner for aluminum or a spool gun. Thats about it.

Comment

BORKED

Comment

Originally posted by CSaddict View Post
            Aluminum wire will kink in a normal hose. You need one with a special liner for aluminum or a spool gun. Thats about it.
            Bleh.

How much do spool guns usually run?

I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure that the sheet they need me to weld is quite a bit thinner than 14 guage. Sounds like I'm not up for this. I'm not really in the mood to tell her father I just royally fucked her pontoon up with a giant burn through hole.

Comment

TIG'n 16ga aluminum is actually difficult if you aren't used to working a TIG. That shit will disappear instantly if you aren't easy on it.

Comment

You have to work fast when MIGing AL. I used a cobramatic at school and you really have to move it along a lot faster than steel.

Comment

To run aluminum in a traditional MIG gun you need to run a teflon liner. A regular liner looks like a choke cable, and the aluminum wire will grab on it and jam up. Not many people do it as it is a pain in the ass.

What kind of welder do you have? Some spool guns can be had for cheap depending on how they are setup. On a spool gun, the wire is right into the gun barrel which has a short teflon liner inside. The whip is a Gas hose, power cable, and control cable. Some spool guns have the wire feed speed control on the gun itself, they are generall more expensive.

A cobramatic is a push-pull gun. It has a drive motor in the machine that pushes wire and a drive motor in the gun that pulls the wire. They work nice and are not as bulky to weld with as a spool gun.
                  1950 Willys Trail Rig
                  2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by OWEN View Post
                    What kind of welder do you have?
                    Lincoln 175.

Comment

that brakleen shit is lies i ran a bead through a puddle of it today and took a deep breath. nothing happened to me.
                      No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                      Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
                        that brakleen shit is lies i ran a bead through a puddle of it today and took a deep breath. nothing happened to me.
                        sigpic
                        Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
                          try again

Comment

How much welding do you need to do?

I have a TIG but I couldn't fit a boat and trailer in my shop, I'll have to check how far my leads extend out the door.
                            RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                            www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                            Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
                              How much welding do you need to do?

I have a TIG but I couldn't fit a boat and trailer in my shop, I'll have to check how far my leads extend out the door.
                              They already got it fixed at some other shop, or something like that.

Thanks for the offer though.

Comment

Working...
                              X