Welding styles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
    I shall try that, but will I get the penetration I need?

Will and I had the wire speed higher but the plates where just falling apart, I wasn't burning into the metal. Hence why the wire speed is slow and I moved slow.

I'll get some more seat time in a bit. Thanks.
    Yea I like to run everything low and go slow, it is a welder not a squirt gun. When running downhill like that I like to run upsidedown "U"s instead of "U"'s, it might help you get a straighter weld. Looks like your penetration is good. not bad at all!
    1950 Willys Trail Rig
    2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by OWEN View Post
      Yea I like to run everything low and go slow, it is a welder not a squirt gun. When running downhill like that I like to run upsidedown "U"s instead of "U"'s, it might help you get a straighter weld. Looks like your penetration is good. not bad at all!
      Exactly what I did for that weld. An upside down 'U' all the way down the line. I'm going to head outside and try some more.
      sigpic
      Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Will and I had the wire speed higher but the plates where just falling apart, I wasn't burning into the metal. Hence why the wire speed is slow and I moved slow.

I would try moving a little faster first and see if that helps with the build up.

But Alex might be right, turning the wire speed up can help sometimes. I don't know the exact technical term for it, but sometimes turning the wire speed up will give you more heat.

Take some pictures of the backside of the welds too so we can get an idea of penetration.

Comment

Originally posted by crosbike View Post
          Phil turn ur wire speed up and move faster
          I disagree.

Comment

LOL

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

So Even and Alex want me to turn up wire speed and to move faster while Dave and Owen think different.

Fair enough. I was back outside and played with the same settings more and did a couple more welds, a few plates at 90 degrees and I filled those holes in the plate with weld you can see in the picture before. I used the same method, the upside down U and I get decen't results. It is a little bit tougher filling in a 2x1" holes with weld but I was able to do it from the stack welding I learned at school.

I'll post up more pics later and whatnot so you guys can have a good laugh.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CSaddict View Post
                I disagree.
                why?

Comment

If he turns the wire down and moves slower he will have better control of the puddle and get better penetration.

Comment

If he turns the wire down and moves slower he will have better control of the puddle and get better penetration.
                    i believe the puddle happens after penetration..
                    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                    Originally posted by DizzDizz
                    aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                      thats what she said BAM!
                      1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                      2001 wj tbd
                      1974 5 ton

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                          ZING!!!!

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

mmm. But with wire speed doesn't the amperage get bumped up as well? So if he turns that up it'll burn in hotter and he has to just move a little quicker so the pool doesn't spill all over the place(cant think of the damn word im looking for here).

I know with my little 110 i had to work the weld in a circle to get decent penetration but with the big ass ones at school you just pull the trigger and pull the bead along with no circles or half circles or any of that shit. Am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by crosbike View Post
                              mmm. But with wire speed doesn't the amperage get bumped up as well? So if he turns that up it'll burn in hotter and he has to just move a little quicker so the pool doesn't spill all over the place(cant think of the damn word im looking for here).

I know with my little 110 i had to work the weld in a circle to get decent penetration but with the big ass ones at school you just pull the trigger and pull the bead along with no circles or half circles or any of that shit. Am I wrong?
                              With the 110 your working the puddle at a low wire speed to actually get the penetration. I found the same deal on the bigger welders too, the 220V makes a hell of a difference.
                              I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

turning the wire speed down will make you work slower, working slower means more time in one spot, more time in one spot means better penetration. amiright?
                                "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Working...
                                X