Welding styles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
    turning the wire speed down will make you work slower, working slower means more time in one spot, more time in one spot means better penetration. amiright?
    As far as I know youareright
    I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
      So Even and Alex want me to turn up wire speed and to move faster while Dave and Owen think different.
      I'm not convinced it will work, but I have heard turning wire speed up will increase the amperage. Obviously this is only to a certain point, if you put the wire speed to the moon the weld will just pile up. It's all a compromise, so you gotta find the sweet spot where the machine works the best.

Originally posted by crosbike View Post
      mmm. But with wire speed doesn't the amperage get bumped up as well? So if he turns that up it'll burn in hotter and he has to just move a little quicker so the pool doesn't spill all over the place(cant think of the damn word im looking for here).
      This is what I was trying to say. The arc is striking more consistently which can sometimes lead to a hotter weld.

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
      turning the wire speed down will make you work slower, working slower means more time in one spot, more time in one spot means better penetration. amiright?
      Yes and no.

Picture turning your Lincoln's wire speed down to around 1 or 2 and have it on the "E" heat setting. The wire will arc very inconsistently and it won't get as hot.
      Last edited by Even; 03-23-2010, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Even View Post
        I'm not convinced it will work, but I have heard turning wire speed up will increase the amperage. Obviously this is only to a certain point, if you put the wire speed to the moon the weld will just pile up. It's all a compromise, so you gotta find the sweet spot where the machine works the best.

This is what I was trying to say. The arc is striking more consistently which can sometimes lead to a hotter weld.

Yes and no.

Picture turning your Lincoln's wire speed down to around 1 or 2 and have it on the "E" heat setting. The wire will arc very inconsistently and it won't get as hot.

I am getting the feeling that your advise will only work when I have thinner plate and/or different spool.

I tried to turn the wire speed up and all I got was the whip physically pushing itself away from the weld itself due to excess wire. I tired to move faster and the weld simply didn't hold. I might as well have just smeared my shit on the two plates and hope they held together.

Will and I played with every possible setting for almost 30 minutes and we found that taking our time was the best option for the plate we were welding (3/16 and 1/4") and the size wire we used (.030).

When I welded 1/8" plate using .025 wire, yes the wire speed was a lot higher and I didn't need as much heat.

Granted, yes, I need more practice on keeping a steady and consistent puddle of molten metal rather then having it zig zag around the conjoining surfaces, but I am not sure that upping my wire speed isn't going to help when welding 1/4" fucking plate with a 110v.
        sigpic
        Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
          I am getting the feeling that your advise will only work when I have thinner plate and/or different spool.

I tried to turn the wire speed up and all I got was the whip physically pushing itself away from the weld itself due to excess wire. I tired to move faster and the weld simply didn't hold. I might as well have just smeared my shit on the two plates and hope they held together.

Will and I played with every possible setting for almost 30 minutes and we found that taking our time was the best option for the plate we were welding (3/16 and 1/4") and the size wire we used (.030).

When I welded 1/8" plate using .025 wire, yes the wire speed was a lot higher and I didn't need as much heat.

Granted, yes, I need more practice on keeping a steady and consistent puddle of molten metal rather then having it zig zag around the conjoining surfaces, but I am not sure that upping my wire speed isn't going to help when welding 1/4" fucking plate with a 110v.
          Gotcha.

What you're saying sounds about right, I just wasn't sure how high you had the wire speed before.

I actually thought that first weld you posted looked pretty decent. When you turn the pieces over can you see some good discoloration on the backside? Usually that's when you know you got good penetration, but you may not get a ton with a 110V.

Comment

with 1/4" plate and a 110 volt you really need to work the puddle but if you keep the metal too hot for too long you will get some porosity which is considered a defect and scrap in the welding world.

Comment

with 1/4" plate and a 110 volt you really need to work the puddle but if you keep the metal too hot for too long you will get some porosity which is considered a defect and scrap in the welding world.
              Understandable.
              sigpic

Comment

multiple passes
                No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

welding 1/4" on a 110v is gunna be difficult to get good penetration thats for sure,turn that heat up and take your time I guess.....

Started TIG welding aluminum in class last night and boyy was that something totally new to me. Extremely difficult to get down but I'm getting the hang of it its a whole different ball game from mig or stick
                  89XJ Pioneer Edition 3.5" 33s ravines 4:10s 8.8- parted but not forgotten
                  95XJ tons 3 link 36s 5:38s
                  97 F-250HD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
                  If Parts Ain't Flyin' you Ain't Tryin'

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

Originally posted by WAD357 View Post
                    welding 1/4" on a 110v is gunna be difficult to get good penetration thats for sure,turn that heat up and take your time I guess.....

Started TIG welding aluminum in class last night and boyy was that something totally new to me. Extremely difficult to get down but I'm getting the hang of it its a whole different ball game from mig or stick
                    How so? I know nothing about TIG, so please inform.
                    sigpic

Comment

TIG has a torch in one hand and a filler rod in another and either a hand control or a foot pedal for amperage increase/decrease and gas flow. A lot more control and a lot of fun IMO. Totally different than MIG tho.

Comment

TIG has a torch in one hand and a filler rod in another and either a hand control or a foot pedal for amperage increase/decrease and gas flow. A lot more control and a lot of fun IMO. Totally different than MIG tho.
                        Is this only for aluminum because this is what they taught me in school with metal plates and I was fucking terrible at it. Took me a few days to get a good, clean weld.
                        sigpic

Comment

No. You can tig pretty much any metal you can think of. Even metals you can't think of.

Comment

No. You can tig pretty much any metal you can think of. Even metals you can't think of.
                            OK cool to know. We used to call that style of welding 'Pain in the ass welding' at school. Our welding bench at school was right next to the bluing tanks, so while you where welding and concentrating on getting a good pool of liquid metal to fuse the two plates, in the back of of your mind, you knew 3 feet behind you that there was a bunch of new kids playing with 6 tanks of boiling salt water (around 275 degrees) and every once in a while someone would get burned and let out a shriek and fuck everything up for you or even spill some salts on you because they put the barrel in the tank wrong.

I don't miss that at all.
                            Last edited by Buffalo Phil; 03-24-2010, 05:54 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Hand control TIG sucks. Foot control TIG is awesome

Comment

Phil this is shitty hot rolled mild steel like you are using but its TIG.

Comment

Working...
                                X