No announcement yet.

My 1950 Willys Trail Rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is how bad the axle wrap was. I ripped it around the parking lot at my shop a few times. My friend said the pinion would twist almost 90 degrees when I would get on it, making the driveshaft bind, as you can see here. The binding mashed the Ujoint caps on the 14 bolt yoke

Prep axle
    Plasma cut off the perches that helped the jeep move .03 miles

Smooth

Next, I wanted to set the axle back up to see what my new wheelbase is going to look like. The jeep was at 97" before, I am going to 102". Someone told me that is too long, but I do not agree.

Removed the rear bumper and I am going to move it back. It has a pretty good departure angle now

Next thing I have to do is redraw my 4 link design and start making my truss/ upper link mounting points
    1950 Willys Trail Rig
    2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

I started running the 4 link calcs on the jeep, but realized I wanted to do a couple of other things first

First off was to make an axle crossmember/truss for the upper links to attach to. Material is .25 wall 2" square tube

Then I wanted to get my jeep setup on the spings, to see what the ride height was going to be like

At this point, I decided to raise the rear driveline up 2 inches for better ground clearance. I wanted to do this before building any chassis link mounts, as I may incorporate the link mounts and skid plate all in one.

This rise in driveline involved starting with cutting the floor some more

Next I am going to build a new crossmember to support the drivetrain... Well I already started it, will post up completed pics next
      1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

Now that your rainbow desiel is in the paint shop you can get this thing wrapped up. We are all waiting on its maiden voyage haha
        98 Cherokee, D30/8.25 w/4.56s locked F/R -- 3 link front IRO springs rear with shackle relocation, one ton steering w/heims, hybrid cage under contruction, 33'' KM2's

Comment

looking good((plasma cutter))
          DONT GET MAD GET ROWDY !!!

Comment

any plans to shave the 14b, or is it already? i can't really tell by the pictures

Comment

Its "smoothed" I took almost an inch off of the bottom of the diff to remove the "grappling hook" shape that it has stock. It slides over stuff a lot better. I might do a more aggresive shave someday, but I have enough other stuff going on with this project to take on any more. The axle was already setup from my old rig. Shaved, discs, gears and a detroit.
              1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

Great work man. Looks sick
                I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Nothing like a good custom built ride. Good job Owen.
                  2000 XJ with goodies soon to be in pieces
                  1999 XJ will get most of the 2000XJ doodads.

Comment

I finally came up with a functional and fabricatable design for my 4 link. I started out on paper and some good tech articles. The 4 link analizer v3.1 really saved a lot of erasing on paper and its a great way to see how changing the variables affects the end numbers

The big word everyone associates with rear 4 links is ANITSQUAT. Most of the people that try to dial in their antisquat using the calculator are forgetting one thing; that is most people assume a Center of Gravity height.
                    I encourage anyone interested in 4 link suspension to download the 4 link calculator... After you put in all you link mounting points, mess with the COG height. Changing the height an inch can change the AS value drasically. That being said, the COG is ever changing, especially in a Jeep: Passengers, windshield, hard top, soft top, no top, fuel, tools, etc, all put weight in different spots and move the COG around.

Therefor, I felt more inclined to look at the Antisquat and the rest of the suspension design from a dynamic rather than static. I wanted to start with 70-90% antisquat static. A big problem associated with too much antiquat is hopping. Theoretically, numbers over 100% will cause the rear to rise when you hit the throttle, and continue to rise and rise as traction is gained and lost from the load shifting. Too little antisquat and the rear will just sink and not put the power to the ground. So I wanted to design a suspension that INCREASED the AS as the suspension compressed and DECREASED the AS as the suspension drooped.

I have to be up at 5:30 tomorrow, so I will write more tomorrow night... and some pics possibly... I started to make some of the brackets
                    1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

I also wanted to come up with somethat that handled pretty well. I kept the roll center height up and the roll axis sloped down toward the front of the jeep. I don't really feel like explaining all of this... PBB has a lot of great threads, if you don't mind spending the time to sort through the BS. This is a pretty good thread
                      http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ght=suspension
                      1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

Most people like pictures more than words, here is a pictoral update.

When I started working with the 4 link calculator, I needed to make some decisions about how and where to mount the links at the frame. Your roll axis angle is a big part of how the jeep handles from rear steer. (Any 4 link will have some rear steer unless the links are infinately long or the suspension doesn't move)

I decided since I gained another 5 inches of wheelbase and 5+" of driveline, I would raise the driveline up a little, so I built a new transmission mount crossmember. It is mounted rigidly to the frame, with a rubber bushing between the crossmember and drivetrain

Start
                        Remove old.

What I am working with.

The new one is square tube, I didn't think I would be able to come up with another one made from bent DOM working under the jeep.

Painted and installed. I test fit a driveshaft and it clears fine, even though it doesnt look like it in the picture

Gussetting on the spring perches, not my best work

Upper link axle brackets

Now I am working on my Lower link frame mounting crossmember and brackets
                        1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

i gotta come check this thing out some time.... i lovee the work you put in this... everytime i see this thread i wana jump outside into my garage and do shit
                          Originally posted by Ktmracer419
                          some people choose video games
                          some choose projects
                          some choose welding random things together

Comment

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post
                            i gotta come check this thing out some time.... i lovee the work you put in this... everytime i see this thread i wana jump outside into my garage and do shit
                            looks like you are kinda far, but feel free to stop by anytime, the shop is on rt 68 in Durham
                            1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

I have been working a lot, but I got some time in down at the shop in the past couple of days to try to get this suspension done

Crossmember.
                              It bolts behind the transfer case. I didn't want to weld it in, in case I want to take the transfer case out. It is made from 2.5" square tube, 3/16" thick. I made a crossmember so I could triangulate the lowers for a better roll axis angle

The 2.625 ballistic Joints fit nicely in this 3in square tube, 3/16" wall, so I decided to use it for the brackets on the crossmember

frame mounts

To get the OC locations right I drilled some 1/4 holes at the centers, then the brackets could be rotated to the correct angle, while maintaining the correct center

I recessed the brackets in an inch for better strength and clearance.

Lower arms to axle.
                              I wanted something simple and strong. Start with 1/4" steel, I whipped these up

Angle cut

Notch, using some 3.5" OD shit pipe for a template

tacked

Upper arms to frame
                              I wanted to be able to adjust the height to dial in the squat
                              here is the start... more to come
                              1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

more from today

Upper links frame mount
                                I wanted to integrate the mounts into the stock crossmember

Start. Notch it out

Weld in at 20 degrees to horizontal centerline, vertically plumb

Rear view

Next I have to finish tacking on the Upper link axle mounts and build the links. I am going to try to get Jamming on this to bring it to RC in July
                                1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

Working...
                                X