Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Make it faster, never gonna be satisfied..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make it faster, never gonna be satisfied..

I'm hoping there are a few gear heads on here that enjoy the rumble from an American Detroit V8 and will appreciate the time/money spent to fuel this hobby. I'm finally creating this thread to capture a long story short version (hopefully) of the making of this car that I started when I was 18.

This is definitely one of those never finished projects so expect to see updates as I am going to use this track any progress.

LONG STORY SHORT. here it goes
    My father was known as the chevelle kid back in the day and claims to have had somewhere close to 20 of them throughout his time. This was the last one that he had. It was originally a Malibu 350 car with an automatic turbo 350 on the column, 10 bolt rear end with 2.73 gears, bench seat car. He bought this car without an engine in 1984 and shortly after put a 327 that had been built in the 80s into it. And then it sat. For a very long time. In fact pretty much up until he handed it to me in 2007.

When I got the car it was 10 different colors and really needed a full restoration. It did run and move still but was in rough shape. Being young and anxious I did the bare minimum I needed to do to get this thing "road worthy" :haha: barely. Brakes, tune up, some elbow grease, and a 5 gallon plastic gas tank strapped down in the trunk were enough to get me out on the streets.

I drove the car around for awhile like that without any kind of interior stopping at every gas station to top off the 5 gallon container.
    Over the next year I put an entire interior from an SS car into it, 12 bolt rear end with 3.73 gears, a 3200 rpm stall converter, and many odds and ends that needed to be taken care of including an actual gas tank. The gears and high stall converter made the car respectable with the 80s built 327. Racing stock mustangs was a toss up every time as I remember.

And after the 327 received a proper tune up and dress up

Last edited by DrThunder; 04-13-2012, 01:28 PM.

I painted the car satin black a few years ago and threw some white stripes on it for good measure. It was a weekend job just so it was one color and I've been hanging on to it ever since. I really can't see taking the car off the road for months to perfect the body. The car needs a roof pretty bad because of the aftermarket vinyl top that was on it in the 80's and while I'm in it that far I might as well hang two new quarters on it.

Since then the car has had too many transmission swaps to count, the last being a tremec T-56 6 speed manual, a 12 bolt rear end with 3.73 gears, and a mildly built 454. I purchased the 454 as a crate engine from an engine builder out in colorado who is known for doing outstanding work on iron heads. He gave me a dyno sheet with the engine and a 1 year warranty. Definitely would recommend him to anyone looking for chevy power. Upgraded the rear suspension to BMR tubular control arms and swaybar, dropped the front end and put some heavy duty big block station wagon springs in it although I still scrape the hooker super competition headers down the road with less than 2" of clearance at the 3.5" collectors. The exhaust is still the 2.5" flowmaster kit that I put on it years ago although that is changing in the near future. Last year I spent a lot of money upgrading the entire fuel system to 1/2" line with a huge mechanical holley pump. I also spent the money on a full MSD ignition system with rev limiter as it was a necessity at this point.

I was lucky enough to have a friend with a full machine shop and engine dyno in his backyard that he keeps to himself and close friends so we tore the engine down and went with a slightly bigger roller camshaft making the engine a full roller motor. The best we could get out of the engine on his dyno was 550 hp and 569 foot pounds of torque. I also ran the engine on a chassis dyno and put out 435 horse to the wheels with my tiny exhaust. Last summer I ran at epping dragway on street tires and spun my way to a 13.1 at 111 mph. The speed is there but the time isn't there yet. The speed indicates the car will run a low 12 with some traction and possibly into the 11's with some real good traction.

Here's some more pics and stuff

Most recently I've purchased a set of street legal wrinkle wall slicks, universal 3" x-pipe with dumps, driveshaft loop, and a full jet and accelerator pump kit for the Holley in preparation for the drag strip. I plan to drive the car to the strip getting 18mpg and am really hoping to drive it into the 11's within the next month!

Comment

loooove this car. i remember when it was multi colored
      I drive a Datsun

Comment

Bowtie muscle!

My dad's still got quite a few connections for goodies if there's ever anything you're trying to find. Showed him this thread and now he wants to get his Nova back on the road
        2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
        MK2 Jetta > M3
        Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

My father is selling his rotating asembly if you're interested, Eagle crank with Manly H beam rods all new(decide to stroke it) hell maybe even the pistons, if you're interested I will fill you in on it. Nice build!, we have multiple muscle cars in my family between my father and uncle/s.

Comment

-Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

kick ass.
              98 xj, 4.0, AW4, 231 AA SYE, 4.5"RE/RC, CA drop brackets, 33s, and some other stuff

Comment

-98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
                -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
                -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
                -57 GMC Pickup
                -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

You have to do any clearancing for the rear tires?
                  I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

I hate this thread because im having withdrawls from horse power. the day a nova pops up for a good deal will probably be the day i clean house of all offroad shit.

I wana go Fast!

when is the next time you guys are going up north? been a while since ive gone up there.
                    Last edited by justtorchit; 04-05-2012, 06:04 AM.
                    Originally posted by Ktmracer419
                    some people choose video games
                    some choose projects
                    some choose welding random things together

Comment

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post
                      I hate this thread because im having withdrawls from horse power. the day a nova pops up for a good deal will probably be the day i clean house of all offroad shit.

I wana go Fast!

when is the next time you guys are going up north? been a while since ive gone up there.
                      i found a 1970 Roadrunner, running and driving in new york. needs full resto, but it's a complete car and the body is in pretty good shape.

Guy wants $4k. If i wasn't balls deep in the buggy and pouring every penny of my exsistence into it, it would be sitting in my driveway.

This car is awesome Corey

That's quite the setup for someone to have in their backyard, does your friend just do hobby stuff or build motors for people as like a sidejob??
                      Last edited by Zullock Holmes; 04-05-2012, 09:17 AM.
                      No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                      Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
                        i found a 1970 Roadrunner, running and driving in new york. needs full resto, but it's a complete car and the body is in pretty good shape.

Guy wants $4k. If i wasn't balls deep in the buggy and pouring every penny of my exsistence into it, it would be sitting in my driveway.

This car is awesome Corey

That's quite the setup for someone to have in their backyard, does your friend just do hobby stuff or build motors for people as like a sidejob??

He used to have a machine shop in new london. Burrnetts Machine Shop. if you were into the circle track scene in the 90's he used to build big power at the local tracks, (i still see his old tee shirts being worn by people every now and then) last i knew it was more of a hobby and maybe a side job here and there.... his garage is, AMAZING! to say the least. i wet my pants the first time i went in after it was all set up. he actually had the dyno n stuff stored at my place while it was being built. now thinking of this i REAAALLLYYY wana build a motor and get it over there.
                        Originally posted by Ktmracer419
                        some people choose video games
                        some choose projects
                        some choose welding random things together

Comment

This car is so nice, Corey.
                          I just how you eventually got it out of the side of your garage! hahaha
                          Is it egg nog season yet?

Comment

Thanks everybody! Like Andy said the guy pretty much has the shop for himself and close friends for side jobs once in awhile.

Originally posted by ninetysix-ex-jay View Post
                            You have to do any clearancing for the rear tires?
                            No I just had to put them on factory 8" steel rims. They are 28 x 12.50s and I could actually fit another inch and a half of or so of width if I ordered the proper rim with more backspacing.

Comment

Nothing gets my heart beating like good oke detroit muscle. Especially a clean chevy( fuck ford). This thing is very impressive corey.
                              Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

Working...
                              X