Project: Turn-Key Idiot Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project: Turn-Key Idiot Machine

Goal: an all around trail truck, built for heavy abuse. Ultra 4 in spirit, deff not in motor though, cause i'm a poor bastard. But, I am building it light, sleek, lots of uptravel and a super low stance. The plans with this are to run the RCrocs Race series in 2012.

Started life as an 88 yj, now its cut, alot.

Specs

Drivetrain:
    Ford Racing 302 with Painless Wiring Fuel Injection
    Ford C6 transmission
    Atlas 3.8, 2 speed, 1350 yokes, 32 spline outputs
    Tom Woods Driveshafts

Axles:
    Front- narrowed 65" wms HP Dana 60, Chevy outers, Superior 5.38 gears, Detroit locker, 35 spline chromolly everything from superior axle, CTM u-joints, 5x5.5 bolt pattern, Solid 35 spline drive flanges, fabricated double sheer high steer arms
    Rear- 65" wms Solid Axle Semi-float LP Dana 60, superior 5.38 gears, ARB air locker, superior 35 spline axle shafts, 5x5.5 bolt pattern

Suspension:
    14" travel Bilstein 9100 2.0" Body Coilovers with Remote Reservoirs and anti-cavitation valving
    Double Triangulated 4 link rear
    Triangulated 4 link front -- links utilize Currie Johnny Joints and yuppp square tube
    Fox 2.0 Air Bumpstops
    Designed around a 112" wheelbase with 8" of uptravel
    Bypasses when i can afford them

Wheels and Tires:
    39" Red Label BF Goodrich Krawlers
    17" Walker Evans Aluminum Beadlocks 5x5.5 bolt pattern

Chassis:
    designed and built by me, utilizes the middle section of the yj frame, from right in front of the motor mounts to where the rear 4-link starts.
    1.75" .120 wall DOM
    Narrowed Jeep TJ Grill

Misc:
    PSC Double Ended Steering Ram and Orbital
    CJR Power Steering Pump from RoushYates
    Summit Racing 18 Gallon Fuel Cell
    Ron Davis Radiator with dual Electric Fans
    PRP Seats
    Coolers for P.S. and transmission from B&M
    Cooler for cold drinks between the two seats
    Wilwood Dual Master Cylinder brakes from Speedway Motors
    CNC cutting brakes

And that's how she starts, pictures and updates to come as work progresses and its not raining.

Before I go any further I need to take a second to acknowledge the people and companies that without their help, this build and this truck, would not be possible.
    - Adam and Clayton from Clayton Offroad
    - Justin Williams from Custom Creations, LLC
    - Phil Larocca of Gunsmithing Ltd, for tons of help in machining various parts, and some hubs already, thank you!!! will post bling pics of bling 60 hubs, when we finish them.
    - Solid Axle
    - Poly Performance
    - Currie Enterprises
    - Steve Usher, for getting me a smoking deal on tires
    - Coors Light and my buddy Josh, who helped me total my XJ, therefore driving this project forward.
    and last but not least, Mr. William Gentile of HMC, for his feverish support and uncanny motivation, (i'm actually doing it fucker )
    Last edited by Zullock Holmes; 12-29-2012, 01:06 AM.
    No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
    Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Sounds like a good plan, Cant wait to see it get done!
    -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

GET IT!!!

Comment

Here is a teaser pic

(the one on the right)

1950 Willys Trail Rig
        2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

Good luck cannot wait to see it started and finished.

Howe Pump not PSC?

Are you going with HP 9" Currie sells a HP 9" which uses the 8.8 gears. Could be a good choice

Triangulated front? Do you have room? it gets tight with the engine.

112 wheel base why did you pick that? Just curious? That is a long drive train you should have enough room to step up to a V8 in the future.

Why not just copy the Clayton buggy and stretch it for the AW4 and put the axle in front of the engine. 3link front/ 4double Tri Rear probably get you around 112" and add some tree sliders.

Painless wiring harness. you don't feel like cutting yours apart?

For the skins use HDPE not Lexan a lot more forgiving
          RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
          www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
          Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Painless shit is expensive, I found a company that makes harness cheaper then Painless but I gotta try to find them again. Unless you're getting a good deal on painless stuff
            I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYCcSKlQAqQ&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
              2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
              • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
              • 4.0/42rle/np241or
              • 5.13's
              • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
              • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

HAHAHA thanks for that one Owen!!!!

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
                Good luck cannot wait to see it started and finished.

Howe Pump not PSC?

Are you going with HP 9" Currie sells a HP 9" which uses the 8.8 gears. Could be a good choice

Triangulated front? Do you have room? it gets tight with the engine.

112 wheel base why did you pick that? Just curious? That is a long drive train you should have enough room to step up to a V8 in the future.

Why not just copy the Clayton buggy and stretch it for the AW4 and put the axle in front of the engine. 3link front/ 4double Tri Rear probably get you around 112" and add some tree sliders.

Painless wiring harness. you don't feel like cutting yours apart?

For the skins use HDPE not Lexan a lot more forgiving
                Alright... some discussion... pumped, here we go.

I have been hearing alot about PSC pumps failing from alot of the racers. That's why i figure i'd give a howe pump a shot instead, from what i have read most of the people that use them have had little issues with them. I know that Lucas has gone to one and campbell runs a howe pump as well. So we will see on that one.

nahhh its a low pinion 9" and pretty much chose that centersection after comparing prices for a while. basically at this point the front end comes down to money. I had a talk with adam about it too, and the way i designed the stance i may just stick with the orginial low pinion 60, cause as the design sits now the lower arms with be completely flat, which eliminates my major concern which was ground clearance.

The triangulated front works number wise, right now in the computer. Most of the triangulation comes from the lower links though, the uppers are about 7" apart from each other centered on the axle. Did a lot of reading on pirate from the guys that run that style of front 4 link and it seems to work well. Thats another thing that i'm really gonna have to take a look at when i get the motor in place and actually see the room i have to work with.

It's funny you say that, the wheelbase on that truck is 107". Which isn't too far off. i knew i wanted something around 110", it seems to be the magic number from not only what i read, but also what i hear. I literally got to that number by laying out the engine, tranny, tcase on the computer, then positioning the front axle far enough out to get clearance for how much uptravel i want. Front lower link lengths came in at 38" and i wanted to have the same size link in the rear. so i made the rear lower links mount relative to where the rear output of the tcase is (i was told that if these are on the same plane, then the driveshaft will have less bind during articulation. clayton talked about it for a couple minutes, something about pinion angles and i kinda lost him at one point lol) Basically all that, and the wheelbase comes in at 112", so it seems like a good number to me.

That chassis is great, and clayton actually said the same thing to me. As much as i think it would be cool to build that chassis, obviously adapted to better fit a larger guy like myself, i really kinda want to go my own way on this thing. I want to feel like this is my design, and not just a reproduction of someone elses. That being said, i did factor in and use alot of the elements of that truck. I like how when you are in that thing you can see everything, pretty much all four tires are visible from the drivers seat. Also, the use of complete pieces of tube for A and B pillars, that cage structure has taken a beating. that chassis is also superlight, because the tubework is engineered well enough to prevent having to use a hundred pounds of extra tube for added triangulation, that could have been avoided with alittle math and structural engineering. hahahaha. I think overall the cage/chassis design is going to be very cool and i like how my ideas have progressed into something i feel very confident about going forth and building.

Originally cutting mine up was the route, but to be honest, it is going to be a massive learning experience. Wiring is one of those things where i know the fundamentals, i am confident i can figure it out with the diagrams in front of me but i know it is going to end up being ALOT of work. The one thing i really like about the painless kit is that it uses a completely new and purpose build computer that i can plug into and tune should i decide to add anything or make upgrades to the motor down the road aways. Even though i say i'm not gonna touch the 4.0L hahahahahahaha

Hear ya on the HDPE, we have talked about this before. hahaha.

Originally posted by ninetysix-ex-jay View Post
                Painless shit is expensive, I found a company that makes harness cheaper then Painless but I gotta try to find them again. Unless you're getting a good deal on painless stuff
                Hesco makes just a harness that eliminates everything you don't need for engine function and uses the stock computer for alittle under $500 which is a good option as well. I think its gonna be one of those things, where the decision is made completely at that point in time depending on the money situation.

It doesn't sound much like it, but this build is being done on a super tight budget. So on things like using the 9" or the D60 and the engine wiring, its literally going to come down to a comparison of cost-benefit

ForSure Motorsports
                Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

I should have an inexpensive chevy Front 60 complete for sale in the next week or so. Its getting dropped off on sunday. Not sure if your interested. Send me a PM if you want.
                  Bent Fab Evo4 Rockwell Buggy
                  2011 Silverado 6.2L LT
                  2009 Pontiac G8 GT
                  2004 Z1000
                  1999 TJ

Comment

We just finished up machining the rotors and the Hubs for the 60. Ballin. Almost got killed by the 60 hub coming lose in the lathe. Oops.
                    sigpic
                    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Triangulated 4-link with a 4.0 is not happening if its in the stock location. It barely works with a 2.5, given many compromises.
                      -Erik
                      Miller Motorsports #4421 : 1st Overall - 2010 Ultra4 IEC Series , 2010 Line Mtn. Race Series
                      Thanks to: BFGoodrich, Spidertrax, The Axle Exchange, Metro Printing & Promo, North Jersey Jeep Club, CTM, RadFlo Shocks, Schwanke Engines, HeavyMetalConcepts, EMS Offroad

Comment

Originally posted by ne14jpn View Post
                        Triangulated 4-link with a 4.0 is not happening if its in the stock location. It barely works with a 2.5, given many compromises.
                        ohhh yeaaa.

I've spent tons of time chatting with different people about this esp. cause the motor is only getting pushed back about 3 inches from the stock location and moved up about 2". Also, the front axle is really only moving about 5" foward from the stock location. I know its deff going to be tight. Basically, it's one of those things where once i have the motor physically in place, i'll be able to play with it alittle better.

If i can't make it work, then its just gonna get a 3-link with panhard. No big deal. haha.

ForSure Motorsports
                        Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

done yet???
                          - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                          or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                          Originally posted by DizzDizz
                          aliens probed my husband

Comment

lmfao, its just starting to get fun

Are you commin to help mock the motor up weekend after RCQ???

There's too much shit going on man, this thing will never be done.

ForSure Motorsports
                            Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

sigpic
                              Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Working...
                              X