Project "Pocket Change"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project "Pocket Change"

Well I have recently starting to aquire parts for my new build. The name "Pocket Change" came from the fact that I will be scrounging up ever penny out of my pocket to fund this build. Starting with a pretty straight 95 XJ 4 door which is basically just a shell I got from work. I will be running my entire 89 renix drivetrain in this because its what I have (not the most desireable being that its 21 spline but oh well). Today I picked up a 79 f350 king pin 60 35 spline inners 4:10 gears LSD front carrier got everything for it. Ill be posting pics as progress ensues. Plans are the front 60 I have and I'm getting a rear 79 f250 full float 60 for free from a buddy that im going to run. Eventually going to run 5:13s on 37's. The XJ will get full stiffeners and Im going to run 63" chevy springs out back. Will have pics of everything up when I finally get the XJ in the garage and start tearing out the old drivetrain
    Last edited by WAD357; 07-17-2011, 09:29 AM.
    89XJ Pioneer Edition 3.5" 33s ravines 4:10s 8.8- parted but not forgotten
    95XJ tons 3 link 36s 5:38s
    97 F-250HD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
    If Parts Ain't Flyin' you Ain't Tryin'

"Shut up and Wheel"

how bad is the drivetrain in it?
    I drive a Datsun

Comment

Originally posted by Burton58 View Post
      how bad is the drivetrain in it?
      motor knocks like theres a child in it with a hammer trying to get out... I got the truck from work and the manifolds and harness have already been stripped from it..

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

got ya
        I drive a Datsun

Comment

my renix also only has 108k on it so shes a youngin!

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

it was the harness and crap that would be a pain but since its all ripped out you're good to go
            I drive a Datsun

Comment

You might be able to get away with running the 89 block with the 95 head and intake and injection system. Or the 95 intake may bolt onto that head and block...You would have to look into it obviously but just thought Id throw it out there
              98 Cherokee, D30/8.25 w/4.56s locked F/R -- 3 link front IRO springs rear with shackle relocation, one ton steering w/heims, hybrid cage under contruction, 33'' KM2's

Comment

Originally posted by netrachamp1853 View Post
                You might be able to get away with running the 89 block with the 95 head and intake and injection system. Or the 95 intake may bolt onto that head and block...You would have to look into it obviously but just thought Id throw it out there

I was thinking about this but then Id have to get a 95 harness the 95 I have is more of a shell the harness is already out unfortunatly.

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

a harness would be the easiest thing to come across from an xj, no?

Comment

Maybe look into a Painless Wiring Kit. It sounds like this is a trail rig (trailered?) so if thats the case just make a harness with what you need Sounds like a good plan so far though
                    I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Originally posted by ninetysix-ex-jay View Post
                      Maybe look into a Painless Wiring Kit.
                      This. My dad had something similar made for his Caprice 396 project and it made life so easy.
                      2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                      MK2 Jetta > M3
                      Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by SwampAss View Post
                        This. My dad had something similar made for his Caprice 396 project and it made life so easy.
                        Would you say, painless?
                        P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                        2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                        OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Originally posted by ninetysix-ex-jay View Post
                          Maybe look into a Painless Wiring Kit. It sounds like this is a trail rig (trailered?) so if thats the case just make a harness with what you need Sounds like a good plan so far though
                          Ive been thinking about this but would that work with all the stupid renix stuff? Maybe I should give Painless a call... A nice new harness would infact be much more painless

And thanks man I've learned alittle between the past few XJ's and have been doing lots of home work on what I want. Also I dont think I stated in the first post Im gunna go with a front 3 link and panhard bar. Been looking into wheels and tires, with my budget in mind Im going to run H1 bead locks and 37" military tires. Anyone have experience with those tires? Ive heard they suck but hey cheap 37s lol I will eventualy replace them with creepys.

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

i dont think ive ever heard anything good about them except that theyre cheap

theyre mass produced government issued things for a reason, haha

if youre gonna replace em, good...otherwise i never quite saw the reasoning behind skimping on tires...seeing as they are the single connecting point between your rig and the terrain.. something to think about
                            - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                            or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                            Originally posted by DizzDizz
                            aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                              i dont think ive ever heard anything good about them except that theyre cheap

theyre mass produced government issued things for a reason, haha

if youre gonna replace em, good...otherwise i never quite saw the reasoning behind skimping on tires...seeing as they are the single connecting point between your rig and the terrain.. something to think about
                              Definatly a valid point however its something to get the ball rolling and they will be replaced when the funds allow... Realistically Id like to run some creepys however not sure if my wallet will allow them..

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

Working...
                              X