Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone good with rust bubbles/removing them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hudson View Post
    Let me rephrase my original statement to suite your needs.

"I am a cheap bastard and the price of having a vehicle professional fixed/painted normally is way out of my price range so i prefer to find a way to do it myself and paint it with ridiculous colors and stencils".

Fixed
    Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
    didnt this thread start with Jon being gay? what happened to that?
    Originally posted by Lawn Guyland
    he's still gay we've just moved on to more important issues
    Originally posted by Zullius Caesar
    i grab dude's junk all the time, doesn't make me gay.

Comment

Originally posted by hippie metal View Post
      Fixed
      No stencils. Just bedliner. Shoot it with some bedliner, hit a little bit of mud and you can't even tell it's there.
      Hudson

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121903

No Amount Of Money Is Worth Your Sanity.

Comment

well... that was a kind of entertaining read, although i stopped around the 6th post.

OP, just sell your jeep to me, those rust bubbles mean the wheels are about to fall off and the V8 will shoot all the rods through the oil pan soon. i'll take it off your hands, i need a project

do any of the Jeeps have stupid ass foam spacers under the fenders like my Jetta? i ask because VW figured it would be a good idea to put foam in between the metal body and the plastic inner fender so..... well idk it won't rattle maybe?
        buuuut what it does in reality is soak with water causing your fender to rot out, my silver one had both fronts and one rear do that on me. trick is to just rip the foam out before it causes damage.

are there any preventative measures one can do to stop rust on these?

Comment

professional autobody work is expensive, and for good reason.

Sometimes there is a lot of work that goes into a seemingly "simple" job. not to mention the amount of time a vehicle is taking up space in a shop.

I hit a deer, between the front fender and door the body work was over $3200, thankfully the insurance pays for it, but still, it's not cheap.
          No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
          Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Cut out rust with Plasma cutter and replace with 1/4" stainless steel plate. I'll quote you at 1k and a large cheese pizza.
            99 XJ 4.5" Long Arms & 32x11.5 KM2's

Comment

I agree with auto body shops being ridiculous priced. The door on my xj managed to shear the door latch off so I bought a door off of Craigslist 100$ but it was red and my jeep is green. I replaced it myself and sanded primed and painted it with duplicolor just so it wouldn't look like the civics driving around with 8 different colors on it. I went to 3 different auto body shops to get quotes for matching the door to my paint color. All 3 quoted me 1500 -2000. Even if I did all the prep work and priming. I decided to find the paint code and got some cans of color matched paint and so far I'm into it including the door 165$ and about 5 hours. Auto body shops are a rip off.
              Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you. If I Die, You are Forgiven." Such is the Rule of Honor.

Comment

Find a way to soak the spot in vinegar. Works slick at removing rust!
                Lady bugs don't like it when you paint stripes on them

2005 WK Limited 4.7 V8, Slightly Modded

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 2.8L CRD Diesel Stock

Comment

Originally posted by Dcampbell98XJ View Post
                  I agree with auto body shops being ridiculous priced. The door on my xj managed to shear the door latch off so I bought a door off of Craigslist 100$ but it was red and my jeep is green. I replaced it myself and sanded primed and painted it with duplicolor just so it wouldn't look like the civics driving around with 8 different colors on it. I went to 3 different auto body shops to get quotes for matching the door to my paint color. All 3 quoted me 1500 -2000. Even if I did all the prep work and priming. I decided to find the paint code and got some cans of color matched paint and so far I'm into it including the door 165$ and about 5 hours. Auto body shops are a rip off.
                  ever hear of Maco? they'll paint and entire car for $99. and you get just that, $99 worth of time to paint a car, now if you do the prep work and mask it off they actually do a nice job. i've seen about 10/15 of them and all looked good, because the guy i know did all the prep work, metal, bondo, primer, sanding, bondo, primer, sand, sand, sand, primer, sand, sand and them some primer before the paint went on. it's all the prep work.

so if i wanted you to paint my door and did 5+hrs of work what would you charge? and what happened with your door?

Comment

The latched sheared off. The sheet metal that held the bolts for the latch tore off. I couldn't keep the door closed so I bought a door off cl. I still have the old door. Window, lock, and mirror still worked great. If I get the time I might turn it into a half door.
                    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you. If I Die, You are Forgiven." Such is the Rule of Honor.

Comment

Working...
                    X