Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone good with rust bubbles/removing them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone good with rust bubbles/removing them?

Figure it's worth a shot...my WJ has a few spots where the rust bubbles are pretty bad. I can take some pics tonight when I'm out of work. They are on the front of the hood..some on the hatch, but the worst spot is on one of the fenders.
    mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
    2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
    and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

I know a couple of people that are good with body work...
    Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
    didnt this thread start with Jon being gay? what happened to that?
    Originally posted by Lawn Guyland
    he's still gay we've just moved on to more important issues
    Originally posted by Zullius Caesar
    i grab dude's junk all the time, doesn't make me gay.

Comment

There is no 'secret' to fixing rust. You can't fix it.

The only way to fix it is to pull out a cut off wheel and cut out the entire rust section. Get some sheetmetal, put it behind the piece you cut out and weld it back in place.

Put some waterproof sealer on there (fiberglass resin/bondo/whatever) and then sand it down to match the body lines.

Then you paint it. (The hardest part IMO.)

Honestly, if you're looking for a superb job and want the paint to actually match it might be cheaper for you to buy another hatch, hood & fenders as opposed to paying a body man to patch it.

Body men are licensed to steal.
      Hudson

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121903

No Amount Of Money Is Worth Your Sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson View Post
        There is no 'secret' to fixing rust. You can't fix it.

Body men are licensed to steal.

Completely inaccurate

Comment

Originally posted by hippie metal View Post
          Completely inaccurate
          Please do tell me how you're going to take a spot of rust where you can stick your hand through and turn it into strong metal again.
          Hudson

Comment

Please do tell me how you're going to take a spot of rust where you can stick your hand through and turn it into strong metal again.
            ....magic duhhhhhhh :alacazam!:
            2000 xj 4.5 clayton longarms with wontons with a touch of
            97' zj
            2012 surbra imperza DD
            im a motivation machine like the hammer and sickle in communism

Comment

Please tell me how you translate her rust bubbles into stick your hand through rust...

Comment

A good way to get rid of the rust on the fenders is cover it up with some bad ass fender flares.

Rust is a pain in the ass and as described earlier the only way to get rid of it is cut it out and seal it up.

Comment

Please tell me how you translate her rust bubbles into stick your hand through rust...
                  Rust bubbles means it's rusting from the inside out. Sure you can 'patch it up' like you seem to want to do, but that's just a temporary fix. It'll eventually rust right back through.

Pictures related. Here's what rust bubbles look like when you grind them down. Look at where the bubbles where and not the rust hole.

Hudson

Comment

I understand how to fix rust. But I'm just about 95% sure Nicole isn't trying to cut into her Overland... My pops BMW rust bubbled because the paint cracked, and moisture got in. Sanded it down, which wasn't terrible, primed, painted, sealed....That was years ago...No issue...The other side however....well, that sides a wreck. My original quote was more against your statement that "bodymen are licensed to steal" I just fucked up and didn't finish deleting the rest of the quote.
                    Last edited by hippie metal; 06-24-2013, 10:47 PM.

Comment

She has little bubbles not a tapping glory hole. You can sand blast a bubble and the surrounding area, fill, seal, and re paint. I only worked at a body shop for five years so what do I know.
                      Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

But Diz..you are licensed to steal...you must be a thief

Comment

My original quote was more against your statement that "bodymen are licensed to steal" I just fucked up and didn't finish deleting the rest of the quote.
                          Alright story fucking time.

I'm in a technical highschool. If you could hear half the shit that spews out of the autobody teachers mouth you would be on my side.

We were hanging a solar panel on a roof for some bullshit school project. Dumbass electricians didn't measure anything, so long story short they came up with some bullshit on how we had to move our solar panel over 4" for them.

My plumbing teacher instantly assumes that autobody would be the best shop to contact for making a bracket to move the panel over 3" so we didn't have to drill more holes into the roof.

All we needed was a 6" long piece of angle iron with about 4 fucking holes drilled in it.

Autobody teacher i shit you not proceeds to ramble off for an hour or so about how making the bracket is 'an all day occurrence', how he's going to need to take measurements, cut it, bend it, sand it, grind it, weld it, grind it some more, prime it, sand it, wetsand it down, shove it up his ass, grind it some more, shoot the base coat on, sand that down, shoot the second coat on, sand it down some more, re-grind it, shoot some clearcoat on, let it dry for 48 hours, and finally put it on the roof.

Im standing there just listening to this guy ramble off. I asked him about a week later how much it would cost to fix that rust spot (picture i posted, i didn't have a welder at the time) he rambled off for about 30 minutes and then quoted me at $1750.

My neighbor who is also a body man (i mowed his lawn for 4 years straight) told me he'd 'cut me a deal' and do it for ONLY $1,300.

Maybe i got off on the wrong foot with people in the autobody trade, but either way, i don't ever trust a damn thing any of them say.
                          Hudson

Comment

Sorry your teacher is a fucking moron, but you cant denounce an entire trade because of some ignorant ass teacher and your neighbor in New Milford

Comment

Sorry your teacher is a fucking moron, but you cant denounce an entire trade because of some ignorant ass teacher and your neighbor in New Milford
                              Let me rephrase my original statement to suite your needs.

"I am a cheap bastard and the price of having a vehicle professional fixed/painted normally is way out of my price range so i prefer to find a way to do it myself even if the paint doesn't match 100%".

If you go to a shop, they normally give free estimates. Please do tell us what they estimate as i'm curious.
                              Last edited by Hudson; 06-25-2013, 12:07 AM.
                              Hudson

Comment

Working...
                              X