05 chevy duramax vs 05 dodge cummins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pat View Post
    I think duramax injectors were fixed by 03. The ride in a duramax is MUCH nicer then a cummins. Allison transmission is also a huge plus. Plus when you put a nice exhaust on a duramax they sound like a jet
    the injector problem was that the valve covers went over the injector until 2004.5, which let them get gunked up. They redesigned the valve cover and no more problems. You will notice comparing any other injector to a duramax injector that the duramax's seems tinny, like pen size. Dont mistake the size for endurance, the tech in those injectors is awesome and will last longer than any other injector
    1991 YJ, 1 tons, locked, lots o armor, stretched, cage

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepbonehead View Post
      I also know that detroit had a hand with GM designing the Duramax which is a plus.
      Duramax was a project with Isuzu...

Comment

As far as the allison transmission is concerned I've heard that running them with a stock tuned engine they are fine but once you chip it and do some work to the engine the transmission cant handle it. I've been told this by quite a few diesel heads but not from personal experience.

and its CUMMINS

Comment

Originally posted by crosbike View Post
          Have you contributed anything useful to this forum? Shut the fuck up.
          The pot needs stirring, now we have a dedicated stirrer when Dan Lawrence isn't around...
          2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
          MK2 Jetta > M3
          Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Power Wagon
            I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

my thoughts and ideas so far. The Duramax has better injectors with tech far beyond Cummings and comes standard with an allison tranny(bulletproof), and I tend to be bias against the Cummings because i have worked on Cummings engines for the past 10 months everyday and they seem like garbage. While I know Cummings has a great name in the diesel truck world i just dont know what makes them better than a duramax. I also know that detroit had a hand with GM designing the Duramax which is a plus. I'm looking for mechanical advantages and disadvantages to both engines, and anything with either truck that would be a big plus or minus
              You work on the engines but you can't even spell it right. The "Cummins" is a much more simple design and make more torque down low. The motor has half the moving parts that a Dmax does and have an average overhaul of 350,000 miles. When you say you work on Cummins's you are seeing the worst of the worst of mediam-heavy duty tow pigs that get abused every day.

I have seen lift pumps and injector pumps go on Cummins. But that was only due to lack on maintenance.

Detroit had nothing to do with the Izuzu made Duramax. Thank god. If you knew how much Detroit light duty diesel sucked you would understand that statement.

The only real reason to not buy the Dodge is because of the trans. If you get a 6 speed then you are looking at a trouble free vehicle for a really long time. The Auto in the Dodge isn't a bad transmission as long as you don't abuse the thing and throw power adders at it and go and tow 15K with the boost turned up.

I would buy either truck. Just depends on the deal you get.

If you want a tow rig that you can run into the ground go with the Cummins
              If you want a truck that is comfortable like a car then get the Dmax.
              Molten Motorsports - #4343/4443

Comment

Originally posted by Dizzaster View Post
                You work on the engines but you can't even spell it right. The "Cummins" is a much more simple design and make more torque down low. The motor has half the moving parts that a Dmax does and have an average overhaul of 350,000 miles. When you say you work on Cummins's you are seeing the worst of the worst of mediam-heavy duty tow pigs that get abused every day.

I have seen lift pumps and injector pumps go on Cummins. But that was only due to lack on maintenance.

Detroit had nothing to do with the Izuzu made Duramax. Thank god. If you knew how much Detroit light duty diesel sucked you would understand that statement.

The only real reason to not buy the Dodge is because of the trans. If you get a 6 speed then you are looking at a trouble free vehicle for a really long time. The Auto in the Dodge isn't a bad transmission as long as you don't abuse the thing and throw power adders at it and go and tow 15K with the boost turned up.

This guy knows! Also the allison trans ins't all that great, they need to be updated as well when putting power adders on.

Comment

Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
                  This guy knows! Also the allison trans ins't all that great, they need to be updated as well when putting power adders on.
                  Allison trannies are infinitely better than anything you'd find behind a Cummins. They'll withstand a hell of a lot more power before needing modification, and they have such a wider aftermarket.
                  MK2 Jetta > M3

Comment

Powerstroke..... Just sayin.
                    Shane "The Bag" Carlson

2.5L TJ, 5-speed, frankenlift, and stuff.
                    My "Bucket" Build
                    MilitaryJeepers.com
                    ‚——P--;===±--= <-
                    !‚–’¯ƒ¹¶

Comment

Originally posted by bucketokarma View Post
                      Powerstroke..... Just sayin.
                      fail

Comment

Originally posted by Dizzaster View Post

yeah, i dont know much about light duty for either cummins or detriot. I do hear a lot about lift pumps and injectors going on the cummins, but havent heard much of anything else. Any chance you know around with the average overhaul millage for a duramax is? I work on KTA50 cummins, and the smallest detroit i work on is a 12v71. the KTA50's are super weak blocks, so i guess i get thrown off of what their smaller motors can be.

Comment

fail
                          The only thing I know about diesel is: "don't buy a powerstroke"

So....

..... I had to say it
                          Shane "The Bag" Carlson

2.5L TJ, 5-speed, frankenlift, and stuff.
                          My "Bucket" Build
                          MilitaryJeepers.com
                          ‚——P--;===±--= <-
                          !‚–’¯ƒ¹¶

Comment

The only thing I know about diesel is: "don't buy a powerstroke"

Comment

The only thing I know about diesel is: "don't buy a PowerJoke"

Ficksed
                              MK2 Jetta > M3

Comment

Found On Road Dead???
                                -jake........sorry for any of my spelling fails i was droped on my head when i was little.

Quote Phill: Do you drink lots of coffee? I drink it once in a while and I get varying effects. Some days it doesn't bother me but others my heart races like a greyhound from the Vet after the owners realize that it cant race anymore and needs to die. Fuck that, find me some owner with big tits and I'll be cute and slow the rest of my life.

Comment

Working...
                                X