My Adventures Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    get an entry level DSLR from canon with a wide angle lens and a telephoto lens
    looking at an Canon EOS 550D

but holy fak these things are expensive
    99 Dub Ya Jay

My Adventures Thread
    http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15148

Comment

Originally posted by Riot View Post
      Don't do it an XJ.
      What could possibly go wrong?
      2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
      1945 Willys-Overland CJ2A

Comment

I left the Big Sky, MT mountain village around 430pm on June 27th with the goal of hiking the majority of the Upper Beehive Basin trail.

View of Lone Mountain (elevation 11,162 feet) from the mountain village (elevation 7,500). Lone Mountain is the 5th highest peak in the Madison Range. Lone Mountain is the 51st highest peak in the state of Montana.

1 - Hilgard Peak (elevation 11,297)
        2 - Koch Peak (elevation 11,293)
        3 - Echo Peak (elevation 11,250)
        4 - Imp Peak (elevation 11,202)
        5 - Lone Mountain (elevation 11,162)

View of Lone Mountain from a pullout on the way to the hike. The trailhead is only around 1 1/2 miles from the mountain village.

Upper Beehive Basin trailhead (elevation 7,925). Left around 445pm.

Small bridge a few hundred feet into the trail.

Around a half mile into the trail.

1 mile into the trail (elevation 8,450) looking back at Lone Mountain.

1/4 mile further into the trail looking back at Lone Mountain. 1 1/4 miles down so far.

1/4 mile further into the trail looking forward towards Beehive. Some snow on the trail. 1 1/2 miles down so far.

99 Dub Ya Jay

My Adventures Thread

Comment

Entering the Lee Metcalf Wilderness at around 1 3/4 - 2 miles into the trail. The wilderness area is over 250,000 acres and is part of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem.

Once we entered the wilderness area the trail turned into snow for the most part. The next few pictures are looking ahead towards the "Spanish Peaks" and Beehive Basin. Notice the can of bear spray in my left hand.

More snow on the trail..... at around 2 1/4 miles into the trail.

We arrived at this backcountry waterfall (elevation 9,050) around 2 1/2 miles into the trail. It was then around 645pm, which means a full 2 hours into the hike. Time to turnaround even though we hadn't completed the trail.

More snowfields heading back.

A few streams converging and a little more snow on the way back to the trailhead. Around 1 3/4 miles left to get back to the trailhead.

99 Dub Ya Jay

My Adventures Thread

Comment

Around 1 1/2 miles left to get back to the trailhead. 3 1/2 miles walked so far. Small stream crossing.....

We started the trail at 445pm and were back to the jeep at the trailhead by 815pm. Around 3 1/2 hours to complete the 5 mile round trip, which was between 7,925 feet to 9,050 feet in elevation. My girlfriend Cat fell with around 1 mile left right on her ass on a steep decent, which was pretty amusing.

View of Lone Mountain driving back to the mountain village around an hour before sun set.

View of a real estate lift on the way back.

View of the mountain village on the way back.

Halfway between the trailhead and mountain village we found this guy.....

99 Dub Ya Jay

My Adventures Thread

Comment

Drove through a forest fire on June 28th near Norris, MT. Should have a mini update on that within the next couple days.

Feel free to leave a comment even if it is just something like this.....

" "

So I don't have 8734897054879 pictures per page.
              99 Dub Ya Jay

My Adventures Thread

Comment

dear doug, you do cool shit. i also typed this with my left hand because i'm eating doritos. your pal, alex
                I drive a Datsun

Comment

One of my life's dreams is to see a bear, alive and in nature, just doing its thing; you know, being a bear.

i also have to times tew patrono on the fact that you do in fact do really cool things.

About how cold was it there that there is still a good amount of snow on the ground??
                  No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                  Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
                    One of my life's dreams is to see a bear, alive and in nature, just doing its thing; you know, being a bear.

i also have to times tew patrono on the fact that you do in fact do really cool things.

About how cold was it there that there is still a good amount of snow on the ground??
                    and you gotta get awaayyyy from the bear, cause youre on a buffalooooo. i ran into a couple bears the other day while biking through the woods
                    I drive a Datsun

Comment

i envy your trip, i hope you are enjoying yourself tothe greatest of your ability
                      1998 Jetta GLX VR6 Raceland Optimo coilovers, c2 chip, CAI, straightpipe to magnaflow muffler, e-codes, billet alum. crackpipe. 42 draft designs SAI blockoff.

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
                        average high of 70* the last 7 days
                        average low of 47* the last 7 days

& that is for 8,880 feet of elevation
                        99 Dub Ya Jay

My Adventures Thread

Comment

Originally posted by BOX View Post
                          average high of 70* the last 7 days
                          average low of 47* the last 7 days

& that is for 8,880 feet of elevation
                          Sounds pretty cozy, not gonna lie.
                          sigpic
                          Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

id be in absolute heaven there....keep up the pics!
                            99 XJ on tons and 40s....

Comment

Originally posted by BOX View Post
                              Drove through a forest fire on June 28th near Norris, MT. Should have a mini update on that within the next couple days.
                              Finally getting around to doing this update.

All of these pictures were taken on my girlfriends iPhone 4S

the Bear Trap Canyon wildfire

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com...a4bcf887a.html

Bear Trap Canyon is a 6,000 acre wilderness area near the Madison River and is at around 4,500 feet in elevation. Norris, MT was around 3 miles away from the outer bands of the fire.

The fire burned over 15,000 acres and was supposedly started by fireworks, which are prohibited in wilderness areas. We were being led by a pilot vehicle through the fire area headed west towards Virginia City, MT. The chopper with water bag/bucket is visible in the first picture.

The temperature jumped from 80* to 105* within about 5 minutes.

More fire pictures.

99 Dub Ya Jay

My Adventures Thread

Comment

While attempting to find a shortcut from Big Sky, MT to Virginia City, MT we came across one of Ted Turner's ranches on a dirt road.

It is around 114,000 acres.

http://www.tedturner.com/ranches_Tem...s-flyingd.html

Ted Turner owns over 2,100,000 acres of land in the United States. He is also the largest individual land owner in the United States.

edit.... just double checked. Apparently he is 2nd now behind a billionaire buddy of his.

For a little comparison....
                                Rausch Creek Off Road Park is 3,000 acres.
                                Johnson Valley OHV is 188,000 acres.
                                Last edited by BOX; 07-08-2012, 02:32 AM.
                                99 Dub Ya Jay

My Adventures Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X