Time for me to buy some good shocks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    How much uptravel do you have before you contact your bumpstops?

If you have too little uptravel, no shock will keep you from bottoming on them on hard hits...the shock is just there to dampen and lend control to the suspension. you may need a bigger lift or find a way to achieve more uptravel...a stiffer shock or a stiffer spring wont do much if you dont have much room to play with.

a shock with higher compression valving can help control bottoming to some degree, but like i said, if you only have a few inches to play with (thats what she said), thats hard to stop...and a stiffer shock will result in a stiffer/rougher ride normally, unless you are Really movin.

springs/spring rate will also play a role..but it just sounds to me like you dont have the uptravel needed for what youre trying to do

My distance from tire to fender in front is exactly the height of a beer bottle, maybe an inch less in back. Im at like 2.5-3" on 33's with the fenders trimmed as far as humanly possible.

Rear springs are super soft though, gonna put another leaf or two in them and see where that gets me, the front is on the squishy side but i hadn't bottomed it the whole time so ill see where im at after the new shocks.
    01 XJ 3" on 33's and some new paint n stuff. Gone.

1989 Jeep Comanche, sold to HeavyMetal

2000 Subaru Impreza RS. Built WRX motor and coilovers and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by iant333 View Post
      My distance from tire to fender in front is exactly the height of a beer bottle, maybe an inch less in back. Im at like 2.5" on 33's with the fenders trimmed as far as humanly possible.

Rear springs are super soft though, gonna put another leaf or two in them and see where that gets me, the front is on the squishy side but i hadn't bottomed it the whole time so ill see where im at after the new shocks.
      you got to measure shock-shaft showing...or where the bumpstop is to where it contacts to see your uptravel..unless your fenders are your limiting points which would be not-so-swell, haha

id stiffen up spring rate to get that in control before goin shock-crazy...so youre on the right track there there.
      - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
      or am asians pants not a read end lol.
      Originally posted by DizzDizz
      aliens probed my husband

Comment

you got to measure shock-shaft showing...or where the bumpstop is to where it contacts to see your uptravel..unless your fenders are your limiting points which would be not-so-swell, haha

id stiffen up spring rate to get that in control before goin shock-crazy...so youre on the right track there there.
        Yeah i'll go out and measure tommorow, its bumpstopped like an inch before the fender though.

Comment

so based on what i said right before your reply, you claim to be driving for 2 hours straight jumping the entire length of the time at 45-65mph, multiple times a minute? or even on a constant basis? because well golly gee i bet youll give the filarski brothers a run for their money in ensenda this year! on a budget!

'phast shit' = hard pack dirt when 'stock shocks' = d35/d30 w/ 37s

to the original post:

as far as RE shocks, i have read evidence that their monotube shocks are rebranded repackaged Bilstein 5100 series shocks, which means they are quality...i ran a set myself but blew them out due to crashing 1 into a rock and another i blew out due to improper bumpstopping...they certainly were not a bad shock, just some negligence on my part, haha
          few jumps per minute, hitting the bumps almost constantly. but hey these are only words, you don't believe me, so be it

well perhaps my only excuse here is that the stock shocks suck to begin with and might as well be faded when cold. but i didnt notice them get worse.

my front end stays planted very well and my rear end tends to be everywhere. but then again i run piece of shit re springs back there

and who is filarski?
          www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

its not a matter of not believing you actually drove on rough terrain

its you drove on rough terrain at 65 mph for 2 hours cycling your shocks constantly reaching full bump travel and your stock shocks didnt fade...i spent a constant 15 minutes on some heavy duty whoops at around 30-40 and my foxes all around were wayy too hot for me to touch, not faded but i couldnt imagine them lasting another 20 mins at that rate and being a-ok. also whether you feel fade or not you still could be boiling shock oil and making them less effective in the process beyond that anyway (not like it matters with stock shocks, but just for the sake of tech in the thread)

your second sentence probably makes it all make more sense

the filar brothers won the baja 1000 for the jeepspeed class last year
            - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Ok, just measured the shock shafts.

Front has 5.5 inches of upward shock travel, with the bumpstops how they are its more like 5.

Rear is hard to gauge but assume its the same or a hair less.

And I just and talked to a gentleman at a local spring shop and im gonna have him make me a leaf to put in there and stiffen it up a little. Picking it up on Friday and we'll see how it is.

Comment

90 miles, ~2 hours, avg speed ~40mph.

our jeeps overheated faster than the shocks did, forcing us to slow down.

spring rate and suspension geometry in general have a large effect on shocks. my 241lb/in coils and (estimated, if my math is correct) 215lb/in leafs, and 8" travel 5150s never got hot enough that i couldnt grab them and hold them. softer leafs and coils, as well as heavier/larger wheel/tire combos will affect the shock's performance. and yes, we were fully cycling the suspension and occasionally getting airborne, i have the broken rear bar pin to prove it.

still running the factory valving will? that can also be a cause of the shocks heating up. though, i'm sure you've already had conversations about that with people who are much more experience than i am....

the 5150 is plenty of shock of 90% of people. its also beefy enough that if your bumpstops fail, they will hold up quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by XJLI View Post

though, i'm sure you've already had conversations about that with people who are much more experience than i am....
                  no clue if that part was a dig or not, but yes

at the end of the day im not comparing what we did, it doesnt even matter..as much as i was just wondering the possibility of the stock shock claim....theres no sense in comparing experiences with completely separate circumstances/terrain neither of us were present for otherwise anyway. comparing a 5150 to a fox 2.0 to a stock XJ shock is mondo retardo.
                  - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by XJLI View Post
                    90 miles, ~2 hours, avg speed ~40mph.

our jeeps overheated faster than the shocks did, forcing us to slow down.
                    moab to grand junction? not as bumpity as new mexico

those hills sucked balls. the jeeps seriously could not do more than 25 mph at times

Comment

I was very unimpressed with the 5150's down in south jersey. I thought Phil's jeep rode like a rock. I would save a little more and splurge for the Edelbrock remote resi's or the 7100 Resi.
                      P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                      2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                      OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
                        I would save a little more and splurge for the Edelbrock remote resi's

siddius?

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
                          siddius?
                          Well any larger reservoir shocks, whether they are an Edelbrock, Fox or Bilstein. I was very impressed with the Edelbrocks.
                          P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                          2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                          OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

cant say im too much of a fan of the edelbrock shocks myself

performance aside, their build quality just isnt there
                            - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

i enjoy my fox 2.0s. that is all

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

The edelbrocks Far exceeded my expectations... with that being said i am going to jump to a 2.0 or better shock when I get the monies.
                                Last edited by SupermanIce-J; 07-14-2010, 06:55 PM.
                                2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
                                • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
                                • 4.0/42rle/np241or
                                • 5.13's
                                • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
                                • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

Working...
                                X