Time for me to buy some good shocks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for me to buy some good shocks.

Well im getting sick of my Rough Country shocks, time to buy some new ones. Stuck between the Bilstein 5150's and Schraeder Valve 7100's for the front. Maybe i'll spring for the remote reservoir 7100's if somebody gives me a bunch of money for my birthday.

Any big advantage to the 7100 other than being rebuildable? They are like another 50 bucks a shock which isnt too bad and like double the price for the remote resi ones. If they are any better, am I even going to notice a difference? I want to try some high speed stuff but I mostly just drive over rocks and drive on the road. Either way im going with 8" travel, tested it out in my driveway today and too much stuff is gonna bind if I go longer than that.

For the back im not spending as much, I crushed a shock over the winter and that was fine and dandy when they were 30 bucks each but not if they are 100.

How are the Rubicon Express shocks? I've heard the Rancho's are supposed to be ok too, If I cant find anything else I might go with OME's which i've heard are pretty good.
    Last edited by iant333; 07-11-2010, 04:19 PM.
    01 XJ 3" on 33's and some new paint n stuff. Gone.

1989 Jeep Comanche, sold to HeavyMetal

2000 Subaru Impreza RS. Built WRX motor and coilovers and stuff.

The bilstein 7100's are supposed to be very comparable to the fox 2.0's. Not only are they rebuildable but you can change the valving in them to better suit what you want to use them for.

I'm just making the step to bilsteins 5150's and am incredibly confident that they will suit my needs, i just really hope i don't manage to blow them up as this has become a little hobby of mine.
    No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
    Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

chances are you will never heat the shock up to the point where a remote resi is truly needed around here.

i would go for the 7100's over the 5150 resi's

although i have seen some ads for new and improved 5150's out there. might be worth holding off for a few months and hear some reviews on those
      www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

they just came out with 5160s also. be sure to check them out. but if you arent gonna be pre-running a 5150 will be more than sufficient. considering a 7100 and fox 2.0 will run about 200+ a pop and a 5150 is 100 bucks

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
          chances are you will never heat the shock up to the point where a remote resi is truly needed around here.

i would go for the 7100's over the 5150 resi's

although i have seen some ads for new and improved 5150's out there. might be worth holding off for a few months and hear some reviews on those
          Truth, I read somewhere the other day that it takes a shock to get to about 350 degrees for it to possibly feel fade. That's hawt as fuck.

And are you talking about the new 5160's, Sam?
          P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
          2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
          OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Yeah I noticed the new 5150's have a tiny little remote reservoir on them, and 97 bucks a piece sounds good to me. Though I found fox 2.0's for 150 a piece and that was pretty tempting.

I think for the back im gonna get 5100's, they are cheaper than the OME shocks and still Bilsteins.

Comment

yea might be the 5160's

i was dewin phast shit in new mexico for about 2 hours at a time in 100 degree weather and i didnt notice this "fade" the internet speaks of

thats cheap edelbrocks in front and stockers in back

Comment

yea might be the 5160's

i was dewin phast shit in new mexico for about 2 hours at a time in 100 degree weather and i didnt notice this "fade" the internet speaks of

thats cheap edelbrocks in front and stockers in back
                if you were doing "phast shit" for 2 hours in 100 degrees and didnt fade out your stock shocks...that must have been some pretty mild graded flat "phast shit"

fade doesnt come from your speedometer

go with fox or 7100s if you plan to go fast over rough terrain for prolonged time, or plan to trash shocks and like the rebuildable factor, or want to tune your shocks...

otherwise, go with a normal monotube, or like was said, the piggyback 5150..they serve most people well...via their wallets and performance
                - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                Originally posted by DizzDizz
                aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                  if you were doing "phast shit" for 2 hours in 100 degrees and didnt fade out your stock shocks...that must have been some pretty mild graded flat "phast shit"

fade doesnt come from your speedometer

go with fox or 7100s if you plan to go fast over rough terrain for prolonged time, or plan to trash shocks and like the rebuildable factor, or want to tune your shocks...

otherwise, go with a normal monotube, or like was said, the piggyback 5150..they serve most people well...via their wallets and performance
                  oh im sorry almighty god of speed

fully loaded jeep, 45-65 mph, tires coming off the ground. just speaking from experience

Comment

oh im sorry almighty god of speed

fully loaded jeep, 45-65 mph, tires coming off the ground. just speaking from experience
                    well i guess ktmracer has figured out something the rest of the race/jeepspeed world has not. 'tires coming off the ground' doesnt mean anything. it has to do with cycling of the shocks on a constant/harsh/fast basis. more than 1-2" of stroke

shock fading isnt an internet myth...im not a 'god of speed'..i think anyone with a basic knowledge of shocks knows that a stock xj shock is not outfitted to withstand 2 hours of rough speed running and be fine. get your head out of your ass
                    - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

give sarcastic comments win sarcastic prizes

edit: when tires come off the ground, dont the shocks generally extend and upon landing they compress? jw / sarcasm
                      Last edited by Ktmracer419; 07-12-2010, 01:03 PM.

Comment

give sarcastic comments win sarcastic prizes

edit: when tires come off the ground, dont the shocks generally extend and upon landing they compress? jw / sarcasm
                        so based on what i said right before your reply, you claim to be driving for 2 hours straight jumping the entire length of the time at 45-65mph, multiple times a minute? or even on a constant basis? because well golly gee i bet youll give the filarski brothers a run for their money in ensenda this year! on a budget!

'phast shit' = hard pack dirt when 'stock shocks' = d35/d30 w/ 37s

to the original post:

as far as RE shocks, i have read evidence that their monotube shocks are rebranded repackaged Bilstein 5100 series shocks, which means they are quality...i ran a set myself but blew them out due to crashing 1 into a rock and another i blew out due to improper bumpstopping...they certainly were not a bad shock, just some negligence on my part, haha
                        - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

i have 8" 7100 resi's in the back. i havent done any crazy high speed stuff cuz my jeep is pretty fucked an i dont have bumpstops at the moment. but so far they do work pretty badass. im deff a fan of them, i will be runnin them in the front to once i get more shit finished
                          97 zj- frankenstein 3.5", 35 stt's.

92 240sx- coilovers,full adj arms bla bla bla. 50trim t3/t04 soon

xj- need one

Comment

Yeah I tried some rugged dirt roads near me just a few hours ago, I managed to get up to like 40 before I felt scared and I started hopping off the ground a little. I definitely need something as far as shocks because the rear end bottoms out on the bumpstops alot and pretty hard too and likes to bounce all over the place.

Front end isnt so bad, didnt bottom out once.

Will better shocks help with slamming the bumpstops at all or they just make it ride smoother/less bouncy?

I just bought Adam's old rear progressives but just wondering.
                            Last edited by iant333; 07-12-2010, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by iant333 View Post

Will better shocks help with slamming the bumpstops at all or they just make it ride smoother/less bouncy?
                              How much uptravel do you have before you contact your bumpstops?

If you have too little uptravel, no shock will keep you from bottoming on them on hard hits...the shock is just there to dampen and lend control to the suspension. you may need a bigger lift or find a way to achieve more uptravel...a stiffer shock or a stiffer spring wont do much if you dont have much room to play with.

a shock with higher compression valving can help control bottoming to some degree, but like i said, if you only have a few inches to play with (thats what she said), thats hard to stop...and a stiffer shock will result in a stiffer/rougher ride normally, unless you are Really movin.

springs/spring rate will also play a role..but it just sounds to me like you dont have the uptravel needed for what youre trying to do
                              - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Working...
                              X