1 ton upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 ton upgrade

Alright so I have already 80% made up my mind on this but would like some more input so I can be 100% sure...or knowing jeep guys 50%. So I need an upgrade on my stock piece of junk steering. I would like to go with the JCR 1-ton UTK kit because it is relatively cheap and easy to install but it is still a 1-ton and when I upgrade my front 30 I will not have spend too much money on this upgrade which probably will not attach to a 9". I was wondering if this the kit I should go with or should I go with a direct bolt on conversion like this. I am planning on putting a Durango box in as mine shit the bed. I also have a lot of wandering on the road which I was hoping to have these upgrade fix. I am also hoping to keep it under $500 and I don't think that I have the ability to install an OTK kit myself. I'm also banking on a $50+ alignment after it is all said and done.. So basically should I go with the JCR 1-ton UTK or with something else?
    Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
    93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
    Eric

JCR before rusty's any day. but i'd go otk if i were to go 1 ton
    94 xj 4.0L, AW4, 242
    3" rusty's lift, 33x12.5 bfg km2's, custom front bumper

Comment

I wasn't necessarily meaning Rusty's but just a general bolt on type kit. This if it will make you happy.
      Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
      93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
      Eric

Comment

one of my friends had that currie steering and didnt like it. and wayy to expensive. There is a guy in CT who will custom build you 1 ton steering for 300.

Comment

That Currie kit is way overpriced for what it is.

If you buy that Rusty's garbage, you will hate yourself for the rest of your life.

If you are going to bother upgrading your steering, just buy a true 1-ton kit.

I'm too tired to elaborate right now.

Comment

Unless you wheel hard , just get a hd tierod and call it a day..

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
              There is a guy in CT who will custom build you 1 ton steering for 300.
              Is that with the Tie rod ends and installed?
              Last edited by customcreationsllc; 07-08-2010, 07:28 AM.
              RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
              www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
              Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
                Is that with the Tie rod ends and installed?
                If Banditt is still around, he built and installed one ton steering into my jeep with only 3 days notice for $300, complete with reamed knuckles, one ton joints and wheel alignment.

To be honest, I haven't heard a single thing from that guy since then either.

Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
                Unless you wheel hard , just get a hd tierod and call it a day..
                I've seen steering get annihilated on blue trails at RC. Any form of stock steering is a joke.
                sigpic
                Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

save a few extra bucks and dont bother with going under the knuckle.

just gotta relocate your trackbar (to match the drag link angles) and you will be good to go.
                  www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Complete offroads kit is great just did that setup on mine! Its $230 requires cutting welding and reaming though
                    89XJ Pioneer Edition 3.5" 33s ravines 4:10s 8.8- parted but not forgotten
                    95XJ tons 3 link 36s 5:38s
                    97 F-250HD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
                    If Parts Ain't Flyin' you Ain't Tryin'

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
                      If Banditt is still around, he built and installed one ton steering into my jeep with only 3 days notice for $300, complete with reamed knuckles, one ton joints and wheel alignment
                      When i got mine it was $325. Rumor has it he has bumped the steering setup up to 350. I talked to him last week to get part numbers for TRE's so he's deff still around.

Banditt also uses 1.5" .25 wall DOM, and bends it to fit around the diff. As far as i'm concerned its the most beef you're gonna find. And for the great price, it's not worth the hassle of doing it myself.
                      Last edited by Zullock Holmes; 07-08-2010, 10:47 AM.
                      No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                      Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Ya rod ends are close to $150 then tubing and time so $300 is a really good deal it takes some time to ream out the knuckles and pitman arm.

I make mine out of 1.5x 3/16 wall plenty beefy enough and the inserts aren't paper thin over the treads/tube area.

You can also make them out of 1.25 tubing with no inserts just thread the tubing.
                        I've done this before too, nice because 1.25 will fit through my lathe chuck.
                        RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                        www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                        Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

by banditt you guys are referring to banditt offroad up in Windsor right?
                          Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post

I've seen steering get annihilated on blue trails at RC. Any form of stock steering is a joke.

Remember DM's steering at OERII
                            Hench

ATM anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Henchman View Post
                              Remember DM's steering at OERII
                              Yeah. Remember his rear leafs?

They morphed into trailing arms by the end of the day.
                              sigpic
                              Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Working...
                              X