So, gonna do my gears soon wondering about tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, gonna do my gears soon wondering about tools

So i've been reading alot back and forth about installing gears. I've never done anything quite that complicated before but im going to be going to school for automotive so I'd feel like an idiot paying someone else to do it for me. I could devote a couple days to it if I really needed to, so I think ill give it a try. Just wondering about tools i'll need.

Stuff I already got:

Basics like wrenches and stuff
    Couple Torque Wrench's (Do I need one of those rolling torque ones?)
    Dial Indicator
    Carrier bearing puller
    Some 2-3 jaw pullers

Do I need?

Press (I have a good ball joint press but I dont think there is enough attachments to do some of this stuff, you dont really need a hydraulic press do you? If not what do you use to press all these bearings on?)
    More pullers (Can you pull the pinion bearing off with a 3 jaw?)
    Housing spreader (i've heard some jig rigged ways to get around using one, will it still come out decent if I dont? They have them on ebay for like 180 bucks so i'm leaning toward just getting one.)
    Anything else I missed?

If it helps i'm doing a D30/8.25
    Last edited by iant333; 07-04-2010, 06:56 PM.
    01 XJ 3" on 33's and some new paint n stuff. Gone.

1989 Jeep Comanche, sold to HeavyMetal

2000 Subaru Impreza RS. Built WRX motor and coilovers and stuff.

Honestly, if you don't know what tools you need, do you really feel confident on pulling off the install?

Comment

Originally posted by CSaddict View Post
      Honestly, if you don't know what tools you need, do you really feel confident on pulling off the install?
      Yup. Worst that happens is I get halfway done, realize its harder than I thought and pay someone to help me finish it. I dont need my Jeep to get around every day.

Most of the instructions i've been reading either have a full shop with like tons of expensive flashy stuff that I dont have or have crappy pictures and dont talk about tools at all.
      Last edited by iant333; 07-04-2010, 07:06 PM.

Comment

You can get away with heating up the bearings to install them. From what i remember the 8.25 needs a stupid spanner wrench to adjust

http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5805
        1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
        2001 wj tbd
        1974 5 ton

Comment

Ok thanks for the help.

I just happened to look on ebay and there are some 6-10 ton hydraulic presses that are only like 100 bucks. I was expecting them to be way more than that so i think I might just pick one of those up so I dont need to heat any bearings

Comment

personally id pay to have them done, ive been trained how to do them too but for the lack of equipment/the cost of equipment if you dont have it, and possible error itd be easier to just have someone do it whos done it a million times over and knows exactly what theyre dealing with, i paid 200 an axle to have them done and it was well worth it, i dont know if youll be able to find a deal like that because my managers friend did it for me but if you can, then by all means take advantage of it. good luck
            2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
            1945 Willys-Overland CJ2A

Comment

I just geared my D30 and it ended up being a headache because I went into it with only the knowledge I read on tons of write ups. RJs write up on here is great. Doing the 30 is different than most other axles because It does not use a crush collar. It uses shims to adjust pinion preload. You will also need a 3.73 and up carrier for the D30.

As RJ said, heat works to get the bearings on and off. the oven will be your friend. 425 degrees for 10 min or so lets the bearing slide on the pinion no problem.

This is def not a project you want to go into blind. I felt I was ready for it due to the massive amounts of shit I read, but when I started adjusting everything, I still felt blind. Mainly because I didnt know what exactly I was looking for/what it should feel like (as in preload and whatever). I would definately find a friend who has experience with this to help you out at first.

good luck

As for tools you need:

basic hand tools.
              3/8 or 1/2 inch torque wrench
              dial indicator w/ magnetic base
              inch pound torque wrench
              bearing puller
              press (if available. not necessary but makes things MUCH easier)
              pry bars
              lots and lots of patience

some torque specs I remember:

D30 ring gear bolts- 75-80 ft lbs
              D30 carrier bearing caps- 65-70 ft lbs (DO NOT MIX THESE UP. MARK THEM TOP AND BOTTOM AS WELL)
              D30 pinion nut- 150-200 ft lbs

Some of these torque settings are different depending on which write up you read, but this should get you going.

best advice i could give is TAKE YOUR TIME AND DO IT RIGHT
              Last edited by CumminsJeep; 07-04-2010, 09:15 PM.

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

tools are not a must everyone can find away around them or do it by feel is which is not the best way or the correct way, but it has been done before.

Correct 8.25 uses spanner wrenches to set the backlash and preload. You can get away with a hammer and punch not preferred but works.

Get you self a large dead-blow hammer.
                D30 housing is pretty small so you can usually install enough shims and hammer the crap out of it to get it into place without the spreader.

Pullers you can usually get away with the clam shell style puller it is hard to grab onto the bearing race you don't want to pull from carriage I don't think you will be able to do it with a 3 jaw never seen that work. I got the blue bearing puller make the job so much easier/faster.
                You can use setup bearings to save how many time you will be pressing on and off the bearings, as you will need to every time you change the gear pattern. Destroying bearings without the correct tools is common be careful.

I've never hammered on the bearings I've always had a press but I'm sure you can have fun swinging but a press is a good investment.

If you plan on doing it yourself then your saving money us it on some tools.
                Big dead blow, press and clam shell puller, can get the job done but not fun.

You can usually get away without a in_lb torque wrench just set the pinion preload to screwdriver tight.

You should plan a full weekend or 2 to install your gears.

So the hardest physical part is pressing on and off the bearings.
                As for actually setting up you just need your preloads set correctly pinion and carrier, pinion depth which is the gear pattern and your backlash which you use your dial indicator. It doesn't matter how you get to a good pattern as long as you do.

Hope this helps.
                ~Justin
                RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Originally posted by CumminsJeep View Post
                  D30 carrier bearing caps- 65-70 ft lbs (DO NOT MIX THESE UP. MARK THEM TOP AND BOTTOM AS WELL)
                  Good call bearing caps are match machined meaning machined in place so you need to put them back in the same place they came from left right/ top bottom mark them before you take them off.
                  RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                  www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                  Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Working...
                  X