full carrier locker and gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• full carrier locker and gears

background: i plan on getting a ford 8.8 for my tj, i know all the parameters and have looked it all up a million times but i have one question. i want to put an ox locker into the axle.

now, when putting in a full carrier locker i understand that you mess with the gear setup. howevah, i was wondering whether or not you could basically just take the ring gear, bolt it on the ox carrier, and put it back in with the same shims and everything like that and nothing would change? as opposed to setting backlash, preload, etc, etc.

this may be a dumb question but it crossed my mind. i know the gear job is very difficult and has expensive tools. i have read a lot of stuff on it though and think i can do it with the help of a guy i know that has done gear setups before as well as my friend thinking he has the bearing puller, dial indicator, etc.

any opinions on my novice question appreciated from any gear experts.
    Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

Dr Thunder would be the one to ask since he has done OX and gears before, he would know much more about this set-up than someone as lowly as I.... But, yeah, ask Corey.
    Shane "The Bag" Carlson

2.5L TJ, 5-speed, frankenlift, and stuff.
    My "Bucket" Build
    MilitaryJeepers.com
    ‚——P--;===±--= <-
    !‚–’¯ƒ¹¶

Comment

setting carrier preload and backlash is so easy a caveman could do it.

you just need a dial indicator

to check the preload i usually go by how many whacks of a small deadblow it takes to get in the housing.
      www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

lol, sounds like i could do it. i just need to get my paws on the tools. everyone seems to make a huge deal out of it, but reading about it i was confident i could figure it out if i took my time and got it perfect. KTM, do you NEED the bearing puller to do this work or is there a better method using some heavy projectile type tool?

Comment

the shims on the 8.8 carrier go on the outside of the race so you just need to press bearings on the carrier once. I would get new bearings, unless they are like new then you would need to press them off your old carrier then back on your new
          RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
          www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
          Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

i am getting the master install when i do this, so that includes the bearings i think but not %100.

Comment

Working...
            X