Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '99 Lumina Electric Fan Issues

Mmmk...so here's the deal.

About 2 weeks ago or so I started noticing that whenever my car is idling/in traffic my temp rises incredibly (to prob about 240-250)...it doesn't overheat but gets damn close...once i start moving it cools back down, obviously cause the car has air flowing through...

I have 2 cooling fans in the car and both of them aren't working apparently...i let it sit today til it hit normal ride temp...nothing. turned on the AC...nothing...neither one of them turned on. we pulled the fuse for them and it's still fine. there are relays for each fan but unfortunately neither myself or Will has anything to test them.

when I drive the car at normal speed the temp stays fine but I would like the fans to work and my dad is paranoid that the engine is gonna just destroy itself cause of this...

any suggestions? anyone willing to help me?
    mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
    2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
    and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

check the radiator itself for coolant, there may be fluid in the bottle but doesn't necessarily mean there's fluid in the radiator. ask me how i know.

are the fans getting power? is there a mechanical fan in addition to the electric fans?
    2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
    MK2 Jetta > M3
    Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

x2 on check coolant. try swapping in new relays for process of elimination. Also try to put 12 volts to the fan connectors to see if they work.
      2000 XJ with goodies soon to be in pieces
      1999 XJ will get most of the 2000XJ doodads.

Comment

or, for the meager price of an alternator, you can use my Comanche...
        2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
        MK2 Jetta > M3
        Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

If its cooling while moving, I'd say its a fan problem. If it is transversely mounted engine I am guessing it it just electric fans. So you have 3 components besides the fuse: Thermostat switch, relay, anf the fans. You can get pretty far with a $5 12vdc test light....

When it gets up to temp check for 12 volt power at the fan. If there is 12 volts the fan is bad, if not, its probaby a bad relay or switch. Pull the relay and put the test light across the terminals for the coil. If it lights you probably have a bad relay if not you probably have a bad sender. I would guess your relay is bad.
          1950 Willys Trail Rig
          2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

Is the check engine light on? The fans are grounded by the pcm.

Comment

fisked! it was the electric coolant temp sensor
              mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
              2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
              and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

Working...
              X