Renix Gurus pl0x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renix Gurus pl0x

I'm completely when it comes to Renix wiring, and my MJ shat the bed. Situation is this:

Battery was dead, so i tried to jump it. Something shorted in the engine bay, which resulted in my alternator pigtail consuming itself from the inside out in a puff of narsty-smelling smoke. I'm getting a new one from the JY and a new alternator, but I don't know if there's anything else that might have fried itself too. Anyone good with Renix wiring who could tell me a) what would have caused it to fry in the first place, and b) whether anything else might have gotten fried?
    2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
    MK2 Jetta > M3
    Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

... well here's the obvious question, didja hook up the jumper cables wrong? there's a few fusible links by the diagnostic connector that may have burned up... never seen an alternator plug go up in smoke like that from trying to jump the truck though... methinks that maybe the alt. wires and the battery cable crossed each other.... they run in the same harness, along with the wire for the oil pressure sender and one or two other things... i'd pull that harness off and give it a how's your father.... if all of that checks out, check all the fuses, see if any are blown and check those circuits.. and if all the fuses are good, then ...
    "Life's tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne

88 Jeep Comanche 4.0/AW-4/NP231/D30/D35
    95 Chevy K1500 ext. cab 350/4L60E/NP208
    91 GMC Sonoma 2wd 4.3/700R4 (gotta have something that gets good gas mileage!)

Comment

Originally posted by WBkrazy View Post
      ... well here's the obvious question, didja hook up the jumper cables wrong? there's a few fusible links by the diagnostic connector that may have burned up... never seen an alternator plug go up in smoke like that from trying to jump the truck though... methinks that maybe the alt. wires and the battery cable crossed each other.... they run in the same harness, along with the wire for the oil pressure sender and one or two other things... i'd pull that harness off and give it a how's your father.... if all of that checks out, check all the fuses, see if any are blown and check those circuits.. and if all the fuses are good, then ...
      haha no, i did not do the cables wrong... that'd be the easy answer. nothing with this truck has been easy.

so your suggestion is take out that harness and multimeter it? make sure everything's going where it should?
      2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
      MK2 Jetta > M3
      Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Clearly it shorted which overloaded the alt. pigtail and smoked it. I have another sitting in my garage and I am rather close to you in Orange. Let me know if you want to stop by for parts. The renix fuel injection is rather simple to understand but quite difficult to really master from every angle.

RM

Comment

Originally posted by SwampThing View Post
          haha no, i did not do the cables wrong... that'd be the easy answer. nothing with this truck has been easy.

so your suggestion is take out that harness and multimeter it? make sure everything's going where it should?
          pretty much, just make sure that none of the wires got rubbed through... it's not likely cause the batt. cable has thick insulation on it, but you do never know...
          "Life's tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne

88 Jeep Comanche 4.0/AW-4/NP231/D30/D35
          95 Chevy K1500 ext. cab 350/4L60E/NP208
          91 GMC Sonoma 2wd 4.3/700R4 (gotta have something that gets good gas mileage!)

Comment

Working...
          X