Spool vs locker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spool vs locker

Whats the difference between a full spool and a locker? Is a spool just 100% locked all the time?
    2000 XJ
    2000 A.C.E. 750

yes.
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

Comment

A spool is always locked. A locker locks when a wheel slips. Spools are cheaper but cause increased tire wear and make your tires chirp when taking turns on pavement.
      -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbike View Post
        A spool is always locked. A locker locks when a wheel slips. Spools are cheaper but cause increased tire wear and make your tires chirp when taking turns on pavement.
        not how a locker works.
        - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbike View Post
          A locker locks when a wheel slips.
          No, a locker is always locked as long as power is being applied. When you let off the gas like in a turn the locker ratchets allowing tires to move at different speeds. A spool is locked 100% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by fullwidthxj191 View Post
            No, a locker is always locked as long as power is being applied.
            Depends on which locker.

Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by XJLI View Post
              Depends on which locker.

Sigh.
              If your talking about selectables, then thats a different bag of goodies.

Comment

O You learn something new everyday.
                -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

lunchbox lockers, like an aussie or no slip, will unload around turns and ratchet so you dont chirp the tires, but when power is applied they lock. these just replace the spider gears.

a full case locker like the detroit is not always locked either(i think), however, these replace the whole carrier

selectable lockers like eaton e-lockers or ARB can be either an open diff or fully locked by the flip of a switch, hence why they are called selectable. ARB's are powered by air and e-lockers are,well, electric. these also replace the carrier and spider gears

a spool is just a thing that replaces the carrier and is a solid piece of metal pretty much. It is locked 100% of the time. looks like this
                  http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrai...5589&t_pl=2213

hows my aim?
                  P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                  2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                  OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

there are spools that replace the spiders as well, mini spools

detroit is not always locked like u thought

easy way to describe a selectable is a spool u can turn off and on
                    - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

and some selectables are LSD when they are turned off.

Comment

right, forgot about mini spools, thats what we just put in the tracker too
                        P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                        2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                        OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

if only there was a thread in the tech sticky that explained all of this in great detail

HURMMM
                          www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

what about the sweet locker doo hickey in my dads chebby. it locks when it senses wheel spin according to chebby.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep Creep View Post
                              what about the sweet locker doo hickey in my dads chebby. it locks when it senses wheel spin according to chebby.
                              That would be the eaton g80 limited slip differential. It tends to make gm 10 bolt axles grenade in certain situations. I had one in the burb, that thing was bad ass.
                              1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                              1999 sierra
                              1967 M725 Big and Slow
                              -Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X