Time to actually buy a welder...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to actually buy a welder...

I've heard good things about the big three: miller, lincoln, and hobart.

Here's the deal, I have ~$600 to spend. I have both a 110 and 220 outlet in my garage, and the tank for a gas setup. My main uses will be my stiffeners and welding up box rockers, as well as various other stuff. I DO have to weld bracketry onto my axles soon, but I have an ARC for that, so give me the skinny on what you guys would suggest.

I've been really thinking about the Hobart 140, as it's good rep, and I can pick it up locally at TSC
    dirty30

I wouldn't bother with anything 110
    1950 Willys Trail Rig
    2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

And honestly nothing welds like the old machines, if you can find a good used machine.
      1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

Here's what i did, first i wanted a 140 either the lincoln or the hobart, cause of the price and the application, they seemed perfect. I then got the chance to use a lincoln 140 and that duty cycle sucks, and for thick stuff i just feel underpowered.

Whenever i have anything big to do, i know someone with an older millermatic 212, and the long duty cycle is killer, also it has enough balls to give me good penetration laying a bead at a wirespeed comfortable to me. with the 140 i felt like i HAD to do mulitple passes to get the quality of penetration i want all my welds to have.

I know its alittle more expensive....

but this is the welder i've finally made my mind up on.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...c_211_autoset/

its the millermatic 211, and here's why....
        1. its a miller
        2. it can run off either 220 or 110, depending on the setting and what i have available for a power source, or what i need weld
        3. I have the longer duty cycle and higher amperage than i want from the 220
        4. its got Auto-Set, which idk if you've ever used a welder with that, but its fawking amazing. normally, to set it i'd throw down a tack, judging on the way it felt and the weld pooled i'd adjust the speed/amperage accordingly, and then usually once more after the first bead. After a while though i got pretty good at just setting it where i thought, but autoset takes all the guessing out. you basically tell the welder what material, mild steel, stainless, etc. and the thickness and it autosets the welder to what it thinks will work, which normally is perfect, sometimes i have to adjust the wire speed but other than that its sweet.

overall, i'm glad i waited and spent a little extra for a better machine.
        Last edited by Zullock Holmes; 03-16-2010, 11:29 PM.
        No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
        Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

that miller is tits, but I can't justify spending all that money on my first welder

Originally posted by OWEN View Post
          Any suggestions in my price range than? I too would like a 180 or 220, but becuase of my $$ I'm limited
          dirty30

Comment

Look around on craigslist and other places for a good used or even a reconditioned welder.

Comment

You can pick up a lincoln 220v machine in that price range im pretty sure...
              89XJ Pioneer Edition 3.5" 33s ravines 4:10s 8.8- parted but not forgotten
              95XJ tons 3 link 36s 5:38s
              97 F-250HD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
              If Parts Ain't Flyin' you Ain't Tryin'

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

i say save up more and buy a good 220v machine...my hobarts 210 was like ~900 and came with a spoolgun and i love the thing...you can get a smaller one maybe a 170 or 140 or something but definitely dont waste the money on a 110v machine...
                -Jason
                99WJ 4.0
                IRO 3", SYE, D30 aussie/8.8 aussie, 4.10s, 33's, skids/bumpers

Comment

honestly... i love my lil old lincoln 125....

if ya know how to prep the steel good (bevel, clean....) you can fill in and penatrate pretty well. everything on my jeep is welded with it besides the brackets on the axle tubes. control arms, steering, stiffys, link mounts..... all was done with a 110. it might take a little longer, but its a nice unit. keeping the machine clean and getting the right settings is key.
                  i can also go anywhere with it and make money welding where most people wouldnt have a 220 outlet. very convenient

that being said, whenever i use a bigger machine. i feel like im in heaven because i can weld much faster.
                  Originally posted by Ktmracer419
                  some people choose video games
                  some choose projects
                  some choose welding random things together

Comment

for $600 you can get a used 220v 160amp-175amp Lincoln on craigslist

they sell them new at home depot/lowes for about that much. Its what i use and i like it (for what it is)
                    "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

http://hartford.craigslist.org/tls/1637742787.html
                      "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Lol, I emailed this dude last night, so far no response
                        dirty30

Comment

I meant stay away from 110 volt input power. A lot of those machines demand over 20 amps at full power. When was the last time you saw a 110v circuit that was more than 20 amps!

I think Home Depot and Lowes have small Lincolns that run off 220v input power. The duty cycle is still low (small components) but at least you will be able to run it to its full potential, not being limited by input power.
                          1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

If you can find a Millermatic 35 in good shape, they are the balls. The black face ones are preferable. I think they are the nicest welding MIG ever made and I have welded with a lot of different machines.
                            1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

If you can find a Millermatic 35 in good shape, they are the balls. The black face ones are preferable. I think they are the nicest welding MIG ever made and I have welded with a lot of different machines.
                              this i love my millermatic 35 30 years old and performs like a champ
                              1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                              2001 wj tbd
                              1974 5 ton

Comment

Working...
                              X