Glass Tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass Tech

I blew out my rear hatch glass this weekend..

My question is, if I go to the pick n pull and find glass, how do I remove it from the hatch, and how do I install new glass in my hatch?

Carefully... haha. I fucked my hatch frame up doing it... will never be the same. Glass places def use tools to do it. Use lots of lube... "thats what she said"

& check w/ Quody... Pretty sure he worked @ a glass place.
    Last edited by BOX; 03-16-2010, 02:15 PM.
    99 Dub Ya Jay

My Adventures Thread
    http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15148

Comment

i got a good condition hatch..black w/tinted glass for $75.00 if you want it

edit: off of a 99

Comment

maybe, ill let you know. Im in Virginia right now and it'll be awhile before I make it up to CT again.

Comment

What year is yours? Is it a gasket or glued? If you take a picture of where it blew out I can assist you better.

oh and just an FYI, if you are looking for cheap glass just call the junk yards and they should have a piece already pulled for you. If you dont have the right tools there is a big chance you will break it trying to pull it out.
          You better decide if you are hanging on the cross, or banging in the nails

Comment

Originally posted by Saharicon View Post
            What year is yours? Is it a gasket or glued? If you take a picture of where it blew out I can assist you better.

oh and just an FYI, if you are looking for cheap glass just call the junk yards and they should have a piece already pulled for you. If you dont have the right tools there is a big chance you will break it trying to pull it out.
            My junk yard here in NJ wanted 100 bucks just for glass
            P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
            2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
            OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
              My junk yard here in NJ wanted 100 bucks just for glass
              Damn, thats crazy. Back hatch glass should be able to pick up closer to $50

Comment

its gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by XJLI View Post
                  its gasket.
                  ah ok, thats good. If the old gasket is still in good shape mike use it, that will make it a lot easier. MAKE SURE YOU GET ALL THE OLD GLASS OUT OF IT!!!!!! Even the small pieces, or when you put it on the new glass and get in tight on the body the pieces will shatter the new glass.

Ok so I recommend getting something to sit the glass on, if you use the old gasket it will be easy to slide around the new glass. If its really lose you might need to get some small pieces of tap and hold it on. Then you need to get a piece of rope, not really big(little bigger than 550 cord). Once you have the gasket on the glass there are a couple inserts on the outer part of the gasket(groves or whatever you want to call them, the part that seats to the body) Take that rope, start in middle of the glass on the bottom side. Run it all the way around the gasket in that groove so it sits inside it and then take the two ends that meet up at the bottom and tape them on THE INSIDE OF THE GLASS. Best to have a friend help you with this next part.

Get some lube like doug said, glass cleaner that foams without amonia in it works the best. Spray that all around the gasket and all around the pinch weld on the body where the gasket grips to.

Then you get inside the jeep and close the hatch, have your body hold the glass up to the body exactly how it should sit in there, then you take one side of the rope and start working it around pull the gasket over the "lip, on the pinch weld" just work both sides slowly and you will be able to tell when its starting to sit. The corners are going to be the hardest and if you have never done this before it make take a couple tries.

Once you get the gasket pretty much seated get out close the hatch and hit the glass IN THE CENTERs to smack all the way in. You can hit temper pretty hard before it will break, just dont hit the edges really hard.

If you need a better explanation let me know, and I will try to google some pictures to help you.

Comment

here is the rope tucked in the gasket

This kinda explains what I was trying to tell you, gives you some kind of visual at least.... Ill try and find better ones

better close up of it tucked in

Showing you inside and buddy pushing, you need to have PRESSURE on the glass when you are pulling the gasket onto the pinch weld. Shitty pictures sorry
                    Last edited by Saharicon; 03-16-2010, 05:46 PM.

Comment

I did something similar to this in the photos, I used a peace of string and windex and it was bad at all but I also have a 96....

Comment

its gasket.
                        FALSE

97+ are lame and glued i

the older ones are mad nice though, 2 savage screwdrivers will get the job done
                        www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
                          FALSE

97+ are lame and glued i

the older ones are mad nice though, 2 savage screwdrivers will get the job done
                          WTF they look exactly the same. i guess that trim piece just hides the glue then... looked like the gasket job.

Comment

WTF they look exactly the same. i guess that trim piece just hides the glue then... looked like the gasket job.
                            I HATE YOU! I just explained that for nothing.

In that case Mike, either buy a hatch or have someone replace it, it will just be a giant pain in the ass and a huge hassle and you will probably break it. You need the urethane, heated really hot, if you want done right.. good electric glue gun. etc etc etc... if you really really want to do it though i will explain it.

Comment

Originally posted by Saharicon View Post
                              I HATE YOU!

Comment

Working...
                              X