suspension set up choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
    but one dude is saying that the numbers in a linked front end arent all that important and all you need to worry about is in the rear. he also goes on to say that a 3 link calculator for the front is useless, just try to get the upper arm as parralel to the ground as possible while keeping halfway decent separation at the axle and you will be good to go

what im thinking...

do Option 3.... and in the future just add a front 3 link if desired.
    "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

hmmm.... hokay so...

i would take you front lower arms and use them for a 3 link... im not gonna preach that a 3 link is better in the real world, but isnt it nice to know that you have a decent setup with gewd numbaz?? it def wont hurt anything and to make one upper link and mount is easy.

now for the rear.. what is the point in making longer arms.. how much will it effect your numbers with the longer wheelbase? thats what i would be looking at.

if you go through and the numbers look like dog ass then just make a double triangulated 4 link in the rear..

Use all the joints ya have, and build the best ya can with what ya have.
      Originally posted by Ktmracer419
      some people choose video games
      some choose projects
      some choose welding random things together

Comment

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1027046

pay attention to goatmans posts. this guy has been building xj's since i was a toddler
        www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post
          now for the rear.. what is the point in making longer arms.. how much will it effect your numbers with the longer wheelbase? thats what i would be looking at.

if you go through and the numbers look like dog ass then just make a double triangulated 4 link in the rear..

Use all the joints ya have, and build the best ya can with what ya have.
          good advice mang.... i figured if i kept the same arm length with stretching my WB it would fuck with my numbaz....

i've have to mess with the calculator, i never have so this should be interesting.

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
          http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1027046

pay attention to goatmans posts. this guy has been building xj's since i was a toddler
          thanks for the link man... good shit
          "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

I'm leaning toward 3.5 and the fact that it does save cost is a huge plus. I would run your options though a calculator to check on the numbers as stated before. They aren't that hard to work, I have been playing with a 3-link myself. Heres some links that I found and Sam set me up with that I found most helpful in understanding how to use the calculator.

Where to get yo numbers from + what shit means. Read this first
            http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=21

4 Link Calc 101
            http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460091

3 Link TOTM
            http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=816361
            I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

i voted numba 2.5. long arms are long enough, dunno the geometry but i'd think it'd get hung up on alotta shit with even longer ones and its cheaper but still tri/4 link
              2 tj's
              3 yj's
              2 xj's
              i'm a jeep whore

"id walk 6 hours one way to suck a fart out of megan fox's ass"

Comment

voted 3.5 but i think 4 is a good option also. but thats also a lot of monies.

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

I like option 3.5

I wanna eventually run 4link rear/3 link front
                  Hench

ATM anyone?

Comment

My answer depends on what shape your clayton arms are in. (replace or not) But im leaning toward telling you to do the three link option either way.

Im in a similar situation because my arms are rotting away. been thinking about buying new ones from clayton, but thats money, and at that point i might as well consider their three link upgrade too, as i dont like how my radius arms are mounted on my truss.

However, I dont know how I feel about trying to go through the effort of doing a three link, as i dont know how much better it will be.
                    soooooo, i think you should give it a go and let me know how it goes.

haha, joking aside, i wouldnt consider messing with the rear LCAs at all till ive seen the calculator numbers. thats the real way to decided whats best i think.

The genright brackets sound like they would be useful tho. I would probably consider those if i were you.

good luck with whatever route you choose bud.
                    "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
                    It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed View Post
                      My answer depends on what shape your clayton arms are in. (replace or not) But im leaning toward telling you to do the three link option either way.

Im in a similar situation because my arms are rotting away. been thinking about buying new ones from clayton, but thats money, and at that point i might as well consider their three link upgrade too, as i dont like how my radius arms are mounted on my truss.

However, I dont know how I feel about trying to go through the effort of doing a three link, as i dont know how much better it will be.
                      soooooo, i think you should give it a go and let me know how it goes.

haha, joking aside, i wouldnt consider messing with the rear LCAs at all till ive seen the calculator numbers. thats the real way to decided whats best i think.

The genright brackets sound like they would be useful tho. I would probably consider those if i were you.

good luck with whatever route you choose bud.
                      the arms are guaranteed for life from clayton so if they are rotting that bad i would return them. they have FANTASTIC customer service

my arms are in good shape so this is what im doing. due to time constraints right now (i want to wheel it in April) im going to leave the front AS IS.
                      I played with the link calculator last night and i get better numbers if i lengthen my arms sooo

the rear:

new frame link mounts:

they tuck the lower link mount up higher so they wont get bashed, and have adjustable upper link mount

new axle end lower links, 10 degree offset to match frame brackets

going to run Johnny Joints at all ends of my links (not just 2 on the lowers)

make longer arms outs square stock and some of these:

hope it works out good
                      Last edited by grundlepunch; 03-16-2010, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Tried it, turns out theres fine print.

the warranty only covers bending or breaking of arms.

Ive gone to them to replace two already and have a third cut and rewelded because the threads in the insert were so bad.

they gave me a deal on the hour of labor they charged me, but all together replacing the arms ive spent close to $500.

and now the two new rear lowers that i got from them are rotting out too.

Damn gen 1 kit without powdercoat

I still agree that their customer service is great, Im just in a bad spot i suppose. although, I dont know how i feel about dropping $1300 on a new set of arms from them, may just have to make my own.

anyways, looks like youve got a gameplan. good luck!
                        "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...

Comment

may just have to make my own.
                          http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...er_p_1557.html

tube adapters are $17, and square tube is cheep
                          if you need help making them im down, or i can sell you my rear arms (no JJ's) for cheep, and they will have good bushings in them
                          anyways, looks like youve got a gameplan. good luck!
                          thanks man! I HOPE! haha

Comment

Tried it, turns out theres fine print.

the warranty only covers bending or breaking of arms.

:
                            maybe if you wheeled more they would bend
                            www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

how about you get bent Sam...

Comment

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
                                http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...er_p_1557.html

tube adapters are $17, and square tube is cheep
                                if you need help making them im down, or i can sell you my rear arms (no JJ's) for cheep, and they will have good bushings in them
                                thanks man! I HOPE! haha
                                whatever I decide to do... you'll be getting a PM when I get going on this.

Comment

Working...
                                X