4-link calculator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ninetysix-ex-jay View Post
    How does a rubber bushing compensate for binding compared to a heim? I think I'm starting to confuse myself here
    rubber bushings can move

heims are a hard joint

when flexing with a radius arm, one side compressed the other side drooped, the control arms are fighting against eachother, ala binding.

pretend your control arms look like the letter y for a bit. as one side is up the upper arm and lower arm are the same distance from the frame mounting point. when drooped one side(lower arm) is pulled back and the other(upper arm) pushed forward from the frame mounting point.

on a solid axle the axle mounting points stay the same. so you need deflection in the system, via rubber.

same goes for a 4 link, but the binding is nowhere near as severe.
    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post
      is this for a cherokee??? if it is... 3 link or nothin. PERIOD
      i would entertain a 4 link. in fact I might.

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
        i would entertain a 4 link. in fact I might.
        Why??? for security reason if one broke??? i dont see really any benefit
        Originally posted by Ktmracer419
        some people choose video games
        some choose projects
        some choose welding random things together

Comment

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post
          Why??? for security reason if one broke??? i dont see really any benefit
          i can run rubber bushings and make you jealous of my ride quality again

Comment

Thanks Sam,

Sorry I didn't mention this earlier but the 3-link is for the Cherokee. I want to start experimenting with 4links for a far off project
            I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

radius arms w/ panhard have more bind than a 4 link with panhard. don't get me wrong 4 links have thier bind, but throw rubber bushings in the mix and thats more enough to compensate for the binding.
              Correct, Both of those will bind geometry will determine how bad.

I always forger about the triangulated 3 link suspension because I consider it a triangulated 4 link where the 2 upper links mount at the same spot on the axle.

There is a million suspension designs.
              You can go with a track bar and 4 links with birdcages if you want to eliminate the bind. Then add a watt's link to have a more consistent roll center.

Options are endless at but then again sometimes simpler is better and strength is important when smashing into rocks. Racecars don't have the same travel, ground clearance and impact issues.

Good source of information is at race-dezert.com search there suspension forum a lot of good information there Triaged that developed the 4 link program talks on that forum.

Search is your best friend don't ask the same question someone else already did.
              RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
              www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
              Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
                Correct, Both of those will bind geometry will determine how bad.

I always forger about the triangulated 3 link suspension because I consider it a triangulated 4 link where the 2 upper links mount at the same spot on the axle.

There is a million suspension designs.
                You can go with a track bar and 4 links with birdcages if you want to eliminate the bind. Then add a watt's link to have a more consistent roll center.

Options are endless at but then again sometimes simpler is better and strength is important when smashing into rocks. Racecars don't have the same travel, ground clearance and impact issues.

Good source of information is at race-dezert.com search there suspension forum a lot of good information there Triaged that developed the 4 link program talks on that forum.

Search is your best friend don't ask the same question someone else already did.
                Thanks I'm going to check that site out. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

What did you mean by a "Watts end" and "a 4link with birdcage?"

Comment

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
                  if you do triangulated, your still going to need a panhard (track bar)

correct me if im wrong but you have 3 options

1) factory 4 link (straight arms) with a panhard
                  2) radius arms with a pan hard
                  3) triangulated 3-link with a pan hard.

i would think option 3 would be your best bet. this is the setup Corey and Andy run.... for example.
                  The lowers on a 3-link tend to triangulate slightly, but only because of space constraints. However, they don't actually locate the axle laterally though, that's what your panhard is for.

Having completely parallel lowers is ideal, but not realistic because then you have clearance issues with your tires at full lock.

Comment

Originally posted by Even View Post
                    The lowers on a 3-link tend to triangulate slightly, but only because of space constraints. However, they don't actually locate the axle laterally though, that's what your panhard is for.

Having completely parallel lowers is ideal, but not realistic because then you have clearance issues with your tires at full lock.
                    sorry,"3-link" the triangulated was a faux pas
                    "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

So I broke out the tape measure last night after it rained and came up with a few numbers that I think would work for a 3-link. With some help from Pirate TOTM I think I might have a decent start on a link design. Keep in mind that these numbers might not work 100% but, from my understanding, these calculators are used more as guidelines and not actual blueprints.

Feel free to critique this, I'm open for opinions. I estimated sprung mass and weight. I'm very happy with the anti-squat number too. Its good and low which makes me think I might have done something wrong.

Last edited by ninetysix-ex-jay; 02-25-2010, 12:33 PM.

Comment

for one you are running on flat tires

rolling radius should be half your tire diameter minus an inch or 2 depending on how low you air down

Comment

for one you are running on flat tires

rolling radius should be half your tire diameter minus an inch or 2 depending on how low you air down
                          That makes sense now

edited for noobness
                          Last edited by ninetysix-ex-jay; 02-25-2010, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X